Civilization III: Worldwide

Care to share with the rest of us?

Up until now just altering the file in Civilization3/Conquests/text was all I had to do to fix any problem with the labels so it didn't occur to me that the game could be using another labels.txt file in another location. I just looked in Civilization3/Conquests/Scenarios/Worldwide/text and also changed the labels.txt file there.

Last edited:
View media item 4307OK...I know I'm posting a lot of questions here but there is something definitely wrong with my game or download. When I edit the .biq I can't get it to give me scientific leaders and sometimes it removes the "secure luxuries" option as well. There isn't even an option to pick them in the editor. Is this normal for the editor or am i doing something wrong? Also I sometimes lose all the resources I control on the map in the resource box out of the blue and have to restart the game to get them to come back again. Strange. Plus when I look at the thumbnails on the first page that the creator posted they have different buttons for units than my game. He has a house symbol with a button that has ABC on it and two bombardment buttons below it. What is that for? My game doesn't have those.

Last edited:
Editing the biq will lead to all sorts of unintended issues. The scientific leader, if I remember, doesn't appear with the normal editor. I got it to come back in version 2 by saving with Steph's editor, although the great science age function still doesn't work. 'Secure luxuries' is just a re-wording. In the editor it is under Scenario Properties as Victory Point Scoring and Capture the Unit, with the luxuries listed as flag units. As for the control buttons, you can choose which buttons to see under the 'Preferences' menu, which gives you more or less options depending on your taste.

For the Mercenary camp, the unit cannot be disbanded and is available to all civs. Normally upon capturing the camp, you could then upgrade it to your own mercenary unit (you bought them out, essentially), but if the city is razed then the unit just gets stuck there.

I see, thanks for answering my questions. At least I can rest easy knowing that there isn't something broken in my files or download. I'm kind of a newbie. I just like to tweak little things sometimes using the editor. Maybe I'll stop trying it or look up this Steph's editor you speak of.

Definitely don't stop trying. Just make a copy of the biq before you start editing, and then when you run into a wall you can just backtrack. Seven years of modding this game and that's the best I've come up with so far.

Just dropping by to say I downloaded your mod yesterday and am loving it. I am going to have to get past my aversion to building any non-warrior units in cities without barracks though (not an issue, I actually like the idea of barracks coming a bit later). I do have one question though, (it's probably already been answered and I missed it) is there anything I can do to make the tech tree a bit more friendly? The way things are arranged visually makes it difficult to understand as a player new to the mod.

I do have one question though, (it's probably already been answered and I missed it) is there anything I can do to make the tech tree a bit more friendly? The way things are arranged visually makes it difficult to understand as a player new to the mod.
Yeah, I (for one) asked already, earlier this year(?). And I was gently -- but firmly -- put in my place :pat: Tony basically said that for the current version of WorldWide, it was too much trouble/ not worth his time for him to do it. Which is fair enough: after all, he designed the Mod, he knows it intimately, and therefore doesn't need the arrows for himself (as I was reminded, Modders do it first and foremost for their own fun, not for everyone else's!).
Spoiler Technical blahblah :
Civ3 tech-boxes resize automatically -- up to a certain point -- to accommodate their contents, but their upper-left corner location on the background-screen is fixed and defined by pixel-coordinates in the Editor. Hence creating the arrow-network of the tech-tree must wait until after all the tech-qualities have been decided on, i.e. once the tech-box sizes are finalised -- but nearly all user-created Mods are released as works-in-progress, rather than finished products.
Spoiler Idle grouching :
These days, it could easily be argued, that applies almost equally to triple-A titles as well... :rolleyes: -- but at least Modders aren't demanding to be paid for their efforts...
But even if he had been so inclined to do it in the first place, given that the next version (due any decade now! ;) ) will have fewer techs per era anyway, he'd have all that work to do over again. That being so, the simplest (low-techiest) solution for you (and me!) would be to screen-shot and print out each Worldwide era-screen. Then use the WorldWide-Civilopedia in-game -- or open the Worldwide .biq in the Conquests-Editor -- to figure out all the inter-tech relationships, and draw in the arrows accordingly directly onto the hardcopy, for future reference.

If you're willing/able, a more complex (but more elegant) solution would be to directly edit the Worldwide 'Scientific Advisor screen' background-art files, to add the arrows in yourself, so that they're actually visible in-game. As with all of the Civ3 graphics, the background-images are .pcx files, so you'd need an image-processing software that allows opening/ converting/ editing/ saving them (I think the freeware GIMP does?). The originals of these background-files are in the ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Art\Advisors\ folder (EDITED -- thanks to Nathiri's heads-up!), but obviously you wouldn't want to overwrite the versions used for the original game: the ones you'd want to edit (i.e. the ones without the arrows) should be in the equivalent location within the ...\Conquests\Scenarios\WorldWide\Art\Advisors\ folder.

If you start as for the low-tech solution, but print out the hardcopies at actual size, you could then use those marked-up hardcopies as a direct 1:1 guide for pixel-perfect arrow-placement on the background-screen files (see Spoiler-text). These days, even basic MSPaint-type programs usually include up/down/left/right arrow-shaped brushes in their Toolboxes, which would be better than nothing. But if you wanted to have the 'original' Civ3-style red arrows, you might find it convenient to start by constructing an image-library of the various component-parts (horizontal/vertical lines, curves/corners, arrowheads) by copy/pasting from the original background-files. (There might even be is such a library-file already, here in the C&C Subforum, if you're willing to take the time to look for it).

Last edited:
Yeah, I (for one) asked already, earlier this year(?). And I was gently -- but firmly -- put in my place :pat: Tony basically said that for the current version of WorldWide, it was too much trouble/ not worth his time for him to do it. Which is fair enough: after all, he designed the Mod, he knows it intimately, and therefore doesn't need the arrows for himself (as I was reminded, Modders do it first and foremost for their own fun, not for everyone else's!).
Spoiler Technical blahblah :
Civ3 tech-boxes resize automatically -- up to a certain point -- to accommodate their contents, but their upper-left corner location on the background-screen is fixed and defined by pixel-coordinates in the Editor. Hence creating the arrow-network of the tech-tree must wait until after all the tech-qualities have been decided on, i.e. once the tech-box sizes are finalised -- but nearly all user-created Mods are released as works-in-progress, rather than finished products.
Spoiler Idle grouching :
These days, it could easily be argued, that applies almost equally to triple-A titles as well... :rolleyes: -- but at least Modders aren't demanding to be paid for their efforts...
But even if he had been so inclined to do it in the first place, given that the next version (due any decade now! ;) ) will have fewer techs per era anyway, he'd have all that work to do over again. That being so, the simplest (low-techiest) solution for you (and me!) would be to screen-shot and print out each Worldwide era-screen. Then use the WorldWide-Civilopedia in-game -- or open the Worldwide .biq in the Conquests-Editor -- to figure out all the inter-tech relationships, and draw in the arrows accordingly directly onto the hardcopy, for future reference.

If you're willing/able, a more complex (but more elegant) solution would be to directly edit the Worldwide 'Scientific Advisor screen' background-art files, to add the arrows in yourself, so that they're actually visible in-game. As with all of the Civ3 graphics, the background-images are .pcx files, so you'd need an image-processing software that allows opening/ converting/ editing/ saving them (I think the freeware GIMP does?). The originals of these background-files are somewhere in the ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Art\ folder (I can't remember the subfolder-name offhand: maybe ...\Art\Backgrounds\, if that exists?), but obviously you wouldn't want to overwrite the versions used for the original game: the ones you'd want to edit (i.e. the ones without the arrows) should be in the equivalent location within the ...\Conquests\Scenarios\WorldWide\Art\ folder.

If you start as for the low-tech solution, but print out the hardcopies at actual size, you could then use those marked-up hardcopies as a direct 1:1 guide for pixel-perfect arrow-placement on the background-screen files (see Spoiler-text). These days, even basic MSPaint-type programs usually include up/down/left/right arrow-shaped brushes in their Toolboxes, which would be better than nothing. But if you wanted to have the 'original' Civ3-style red arrows, you might find it convenient to start by constructing an image-library of the various component-parts (horizontal/vertical lines, curves/corners, arrowheads) by copy/pasting from the original background-files. (There might even be such a library-file already, somewhere here in the C&C Subforum, if you're willing to take the time to look for it).

You can get all the arrows from the various conquests and eras from this tutorial: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/tech-tree-and-script-txt-tutorial.499663/ attached is kal el's arrow compilation. But it really doesnt matter what you use as its all a backround image. So you can colour them or change them as you want.

Or you can just click the tech you want, and all preceding techs will be chosen automaticaly. :D

On my deathbed the Diadochi are going to be fighting over the tech tree arrows...

Mathillean, thanks for posting and I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. As Jarovid posted, I never followed tech tree arrows and always just clicked the techs to see what the prerequisites were, much like Civ 2. The ancient era tree, as you noted, is an ugly mess and not easy to follow, but I don't want to go back and re-arrange everything since that's time I could be spending on the new version. If someone wanted to volunteer for such an unglamorous task, however, I might take them up on it. In any case, the tech screens are going to be much more logical and easy to follow when the new version is released, as tjs pointed out, sometime around the Mars landing.

Spoiler :
Ancient Era.png

As for the veteran warriors, I've found that I also had to adjust my own rules and rituals in this and other Civ 3 mods to get the best out of them. In the new version, the era 1 and era 2 units have 2 hit points (three with veteran), which increases the value of the barracks in making new units but decreases its effect when healing.

I just finished my first Worldwide game. I am extremely impressed with the depth of this mod, almost everything felt intuitive. There are a few minor typo and clarity issues in some Pedia entries, and a few more "Do Not Click" warnings may be necessary; I remember specifically pages linking Saltpeter.

I played as America, map size huge, Regent difficulty and 15 opponents. Only three possible unit bugs occurred --

• Continental Infantry are able to bombard with no range, so only on their location. It doesn't appear intentional.

• Apache Mounted Cavalry have blitz, allowing them to bombard and/or attack twice per turn. IIRC this isn't mentioned in the Pedia.

• Horsemen generated by the chieftain-horseman-generating-building, the name of which I don't remember, will retreat from combat. The Pedia states that they will not.

Other than those unit oddities, the mod was very fun. I'm pleased with map exploration being brought to the forefront and the concept of city attributes. Being unable to clear jungle/wetlands (for half the game), as well as compromising inefficient workers with an added move point proved to be an interesting and welcome challenge.

Perhaps my only gripe being that the game was short. I achieved a cultural victory 7 or so techs into the Industrial era. Granted I was *trying* for it; but the plethora of culture and military granting buildings made it seem easy. The next game I am going to attempt the same start with max (23?) opponents to see how that changes. I may also turn off cultural victory entirely, and only note if I would have had it at any point.

As for what I see mentioned on this page, I had no issue or confusion managing the tech tree. There was so much new, I wasn't bothered by lack of direction and clicking to check requirements was no big deal.

Hi, I played your mod a while back, and LOVED it. I played it multiplayer over Steam with my friend, and it worked great, except for the problem of the amount of units the AI creates. I don't know if you're aware, but we played on the lowest difficulty, and in the late game, the AI spawned so many units (specifically boats) that the game crashed and was unplayable

I just finished my first Worldwide game. I am extremely impressed with the depth of this mod, almost everything felt intuitive. There are a few minor typo and clarity issues in some Pedia entries, and a few more "Do Not Click" warnings may be necessary; I remember specifically pages linking Saltpeter.

I played as America, map size huge, Regent difficulty and 15 opponents. Only three possible unit bugs occurred --

• Continental Infantry are able to bombard with no range, so only on their location. It doesn't appear intentional.

• Apache Mounted Cavalry have blitz, allowing them to bombard and/or attack twice per turn. IIRC this isn't mentioned in the Pedia.

• Horsemen generated by the chieftain-horseman-generating-building, the name of which I don't remember, will retreat from combat. The Pedia states that they will not.

Other than those unit oddities, the mod was very fun. I'm pleased with map exploration being brought to the forefront and the concept of city attributes. Being unable to clear jungle/wetlands (for half the game), as well as compromising inefficient workers with an added move point proved to be an interesting and welcome challenge.

Perhaps my only gripe being that the game was short. I achieved a cultural victory 7 or so techs into the Industrial era. Granted I was *trying* for it; but the plethora of culture and military granting buildings made it seem easy. The next game I am going to attempt the same start with max (23?) opponents to see how that changes. I may also turn off cultural victory entirely, and only note if I would have had it at any point.

As for what I see mentioned on this page, I had no issue or confusion managing the tech tree. There was so much new, I wasn't bothered by lack of direction and clicking to check requirements was no big deal.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed. I agree with you on the culture. The next version has lower culture bonuses on earlier Era 1 and Era 2 buildings, which will help lower overall culture since ancient buildings compound their culture bonuses over time. I'm also adjusting the time per time. This isn't finalized yet but in the late game, turns will represent probably 4-6 months.

Hi, I played your mod a while back, and LOVED it. I played it multiplayer over Steam with my friend, and it worked great, except for the problem of the amount of units the AI creates. I don't know if you're aware, but we played on the lowest difficulty, and in the late game, the AI spawned so many units (specifically boats) that the game crashed and was unplayable

I never got to try the game multiplayer so I'm glad it's working out well. I think the unit limit is 8192 total units or something like that. There's an executable here in the forums that allows the game to go over that limit, but with the new website's wonky search function I can't remember where it is at. Maybe somebody can post a link, or I can check the forums when I get some time. The good thing is that you can reload your current game with the exe and start right back up.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed. I agree with you on the culture. The next version has lower culture bonuses on earlier Era 1 and Era 2 buildings, which will help lower overall culture since ancient buildings compound their culture bonuses over time. I'm also adjusting the time per time. This isn't finalized yet but in the late game, turns will represent probably 4-6 months.

I never got to try the game multiplayer so I'm glad it's working out well. I think the unit limit is 8192 total units or something like that. There's an executable here in the forums that allows the game to go over that limit, but with the new website's wonky search function I can't remember where it is at. Maybe somebody can post a link, or I can check the forums when I get some time. The good thing is that you can reload your current game with the exe and start right back up.

Are you referring to this? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/city-limits.327919/

How do you fix the menus?

Got that weird "KING0 of the CIVNOUN killed" instead of "Exit" as well as other buttons bugging out thing.

How do you fix the menus?

Got that weird "KING0 of the CIVNOUN killed" instead of "Exit" as well as other buttons bugging out thing.

The labels.txt. You must be on on the steam version?

Top Bottom