Civilization III: Worldwide

I got to ask about these MG blokes. The left kneeling one I can't see were that's from in a "single" version.
It isn't from your huge infantry packages what I understand. Is it in this Worldwide package ?? I must surely miss it after checking.
:confused:

I think the kneeling one was posted, and the standing version of the rifleman. I can't remember exactly. But you're correct, for these multi-units that have kneeling versions, only one or the other was posted in the database.

Hey Anthony,

I just downloaded Worldwide.... its like breathing life into this old but beloved game, thank you!

I do have an issue though where when I start up the game I can't choose my victory conditions:
upload_2020-1-17_0-43-56.png

Also, when I am playing the game, the tech tree doesn't show any arrows from one tech to another:

upload_2020-1-17_0-45-1.png

Could you please help me solve this issue?

Edit: I am playing from civ 3 complete from steam if that helps

Hi, DBD175, and thanks for posting. I can't think of why the game rules are not available. I just checked my copy and saw that they are able to be clicked on or off normally. I would check the Worldwide.biq file and look at the Scenario Properties (under the Scenario tag). Under Game Options the Default Victory Conditions should be checked which greys out all the victory types. The zip file on the first post of this thread should have the correct biq. Otherwise you can click that button on and save the biq which should correct it.

There are no tech tree arrows because they have to be hand drawn on the background picture. If I knew how many requests I would have over the years to add them I would have done it ages ago. :cool:

If you click on the desired technology you want to reach, it will highlight all necessary prerequisites, although I understand that's visually not quite as convenient.

I do have an issue though where when I start up the game I can't choose my victory conditions:
I can't think of why the game rules are not available.
I think this might not be a problem with WW per se, but (yet another) Civ3-bug, similar to the World-size/Culture-limit bug. If @DBD175 played another mod before starting WW, the previous mod's victory-rules may have been imposed on WW.

I (think I) saw this happen one time with Lord of The Mods: I'd been playing the Firaxis Fall_of_Rome Conquest previously (which uses the "Elimination"-mechanic), and when I started LOTM, I (realised later that I) still had the Elimination-option switched on (not sure that it should have been). Although I'd seen a few "The XXX have destroyed the YYY" messages prior, I didn't realise that it had happened so easily, until the first war of expansion that I fought: the first AI city I captured, made the rest of that AI's towns go boom as well ("All too easy...").

IIRC, when switching between mods, to dodge the bug you need to start a normal (epic-)game first, then quit back to the start-screen, then start the mod. For any subsequent games with the same mod, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
The option to change victory conditions is activated, when in the Scenario Properties registry of the editor the Default Victory Conditions and the Default Game Rules are both enabled (when the hook in both boxes is set): https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/page-12#post-15359845

In the Worldwide 2.9 biq the second of these boxes is not tickled, locking the preset victory conditions:

Edit: DBD175, in this instance, the modder is promising to liberate the player from the oppressive system installed by Firaxis, but once he consolidates his modding power, he then supplants the original ruler and imposes his own iron will to deny the player freedom of action.

As you can see in some posts before the linked post above, I had some problems to soften 'my iron grip on the player' in one of my mods. :D

Attachments

• Worldwide Setting.jpg
    Worldwide Setting.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited:
Thank you for the follow-on posts, gentlemen. I've forgotten a lot of the specifics in the biq settings. I just loaded up a game of worldwide 2.9 that has the Default Victory Conditions checked and the Default Game Rules unchecked. Upon loading, I was able to choose victory conditions but not game rules. I think it might be as you described, tjs, as the conquest.ini will take precedence over the mod settings and this can be an issue if you go back to the main menu and choose a different scenario. I'm not entirely sure why we got different results, Civinator. My brain doesn't function as well as it did 10 years ago. I had to read my joke twice that you quoted before I even understood it.

It was weird to load up old Worldwide and hear the default Firaxis music, though, that's for sure.

Attachments

• Player Setup.jpg
    Player Setup.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 1,206
I'm not entirely sure why we got different results, Civinator. My brain doesn't function as well as it did 10 years ago.

Tony, it´s the same with my brain - and even worse: Sometimes I discover features in Civ 3 only to recognize later, that I had known this about 15 years ago. :D

In the current biq of Worldwide 2.9 you are able to change the starting conditions, but not the victory conditions. These conditions are changed by pressing the Game Limits button in the player setup screen. In the current worldwide 2.9 biq, you gain the following screen when triggering that button:

When a player says in the new started game 'I want to change the percentage of terrain from 66% to - let´s say - 40 percent', there is no chance to change that victory condition to that value. Here the modder 'imposes his own iron will to deny the player´s freedom of action' as the player has to take the 66 % for the domination victory and nothing else.

With the setting I suggested, the victory conditions screen looks in the following way, when the Game Limits button is triggered:

The player now has options to change the victory conditions in the new game and can set -per example - the percentage of land for a domination victory to 40 percent.

I attache the Worldwide 2.9 biq with that setting as a zip-file to this post.

Attachments

• Worldwide-no change of victory conditions.jpg
    Worldwide-no change of victory conditions.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Worldwide flexible Victory conditions1.jpg
    Worldwide flexible Victory conditions1.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Worldwide flexible Victory2.jpg
    Worldwide flexible Victory2.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Worldwide v2.9.zip
    83.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I will have both Game Rules and Victory Conditions checked in the new version so players can make adjustments as they like. I'm not going to get into making corrections to the current version. Anyone who wants to make that change could easily do so in their download or always ask again here if they miss these posts. I still need to figure out the Culture Limits to make sure they are not too easy or difficult. Many early buildings have reduced culture now, and there are some later buildings with good culture to compensate. Plus there are no lawyers or Great Artists to drop huge culture bombs to compete in the late game.

Thanks all of you above for solving my settings issue, I really appreciate it, and it's awesome that this forum is so alive!

On to a new issue I encountered after the last few days of playing:

Some units have an extremely labored attack animation. The Indians all have units except the war elephant (only got this far) that attack with a super slow animation.

My irregulars have a different issue: they have no animation sound.

In regards to the above, I've found these issues, especially the sound one on a variety of different units.

Any insight into this folks?

I have encountered a bug where the stealth bombers will suddenly start having no effect when bombing. I'm not talking about just having a run of failed missions, there is literally no effect and no text message appears above the square. It comes and goes from turn to turn. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Some units have an extremely labored attack animation. The Indians all have units except the war elephant (only got this far) that attack with a super slow animation.

My irregulars have a different issue: they have no animation sound.

In regards to the above, I've found these issues, especially the sound one on a variety of different units.

Any insight into this folks?

This is just how some of these units were made. Unit making is a learning process just like everything else we figure out here. In the case of some units, I'd rather take them with their imperfections than be stuck with Firaxis generic ones.

Not all unit creators include sounds or links to sounds in their units. Some of these guys have been extremely prolific and probably considered their time better spent making more unit animations than making sounds. I attempted to add sound links to all units in the game, but with hundreds upon hundreds a few slipped through the cracks.

I have encountered a bug where the stealth bombers will suddenly start having no effect when bombing. I'm not talking about just having a run of failed missions, there is literally no effect and no text message appears above the square. It comes and goes from turn to turn. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I'm pretty sure they are being aborted. Are you bombing a city with them? I seem to remember the possibility that anti-air units or buildings could abort an enemy air attack, but without any message or animation to let you know it happened.

Question: are you bombing over long distances?
Because there's a known bug that makes bombing beyond certain distances to have no effect whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure they are being aborted. Are you bombing a city with them? I seem to remember the possibility that anti-air units or buildings could abort an enemy air attack, but without any message or animation to let you know it happened.

It doesn't matter what target it is...it will just start happening no matter what target I choose and no matter how many bombers I use. Maybe it's the bug Wolfhart mentioned.

Question: are you bombing over long distances?
Because there's a known bug that makes bombing beyond certain distances to have no effect whatsoever.

Maybe that's the bug then. Yes, most of the time they were long distances but once it started happening it didn't seem to matter what the range was. It would just last the rest of the turn with all stealth bombers and sometimes more than one turn.

Man, I started playing a game of this on your World Map (Huge Historic Start) and it's really interesting. I don't think I've ever played Civ on an Earth map after 30 years of playing this series if you can believe that. I'm playing as Egypt and mixing it up right off the bat with the Arabs and Persians. The only thing that's driving me nuts is the godawful interface. The world setup screen looks like puke.

Man, I started playing a game of this on your World Map (Huge Historic Start) and it's really interesting. I don't think I've ever played Civ on an Earth map after 30 years of playing this series if you can believe that. I'm playing as Egypt and mixing it up right off the bat with the Arabs and Persians. The only thing that's driving me nuts is the godawful interface. The world setup screen looks like puke.

Yeah, it's different alright. There are good and bad things about it. Europe is crowded but other parts of the world are vast and empty. I haven't used it in a while myself. I had variations of it where I put some civs in non-historical starting points to space the civs out a bit more evenly. Don't know why the interface is like that, I don't know much about modding. I just play with the editor a bit. I don't remember if I used the one that came with the game or quintillus.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's different alright. There are good and bad things about it. Europe is crowded but other parts of the world are vast and empty. I haven't used it in a while myself. I had variations of it where I put some civs in non-historical starting points to space the civs out a bit more evenly. Don't know why the interface is like that, I don't know much about modding. I just play with the editor a bit. I don't remember if I used the one that came with the game or quintillus.

The interface is like that because I made it like that. :) We only get better with practice. As for the world map, it will work better with the new version since there'll be more civs outside the standard European cluster. Also, there are going to be limitations on building cities and roads in difficult terrain.

Hello
I'm having some trouble to launch Worldwide. It seems that the game can't detect the files in the directory as I receive error messages of missing files. I put the .biq and the directory in conquest\scenarios and I have version 1.22.
Did I do something wrong ?

I have a question. Why does Arabia have modern T-62 tanks when they and no other civ is even in that era of research yet? They don't even have the tech to build WW2 era tanks yet.

Top Bottom