1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization is game beloved by cardigan-wearing dads and uncles

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Polonius, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Polonius

Polonius Warlord

“Civilization is game beloved by cardigan-wearing dads and uncles, and long may it stay that way. ”

So says Games Domain in its Holiday Buyers Guide. They weren’t being negative about Civ3, or the series, but is its fan base really mainly among the pipe and slippers brigade and wrinklies in general?

I freely admit to being an old fogey myself – at 55 – although I don’t see myself as the “cardigan-wearing” type just because I’m in line to be (D)isbanded sooner than most reviewers. From this forum I’d guess that there a lot of fans in the teens and twenties age group.

So how about it? Are most of you in your “second childhood” like me (actually I managed to skip the bit in the middle where you allegedly get all mature and serious, so maybe it’s just an extended first childhood) or have you popped off the production line a bit more recently than that?

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you all – just in case the “Big Sid in the Sky” decides to recycle me before the 25th. You can never tell at my age……
    ;)

2. Cunobelin Of Hippo

Cunobelin Of Hippo Site Pachyderm

Such topics belong in the Off-Topic section...

...and assuming the Sid in the Sky hasn't gotten to you yet, a merry christmas right back :)

3. Polonius

Polonius Warlord

How exactly is talking about the Civ fan base "Off topic" please?

I could see you point if I posted in "Strategies and Tips", but I posted in "General Discussions". The Off Topic forum is full of stuff that really is off topic - i.e stuff that's nothing to doing with the Civ series. Could you explain your logic here please, so that I can get it right next time.

4. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

You bet they do, Hippo man. ;)

I'm one the second Childhood brigade (My wife would tell you still first! :enlighten ), at 39.

I to like that picture, kind of genteel, and a bit old fashioned.

Merry Christmas to you also, and welcome aboard. :santa: :goodjob:

5. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Ah dont worry bout it polonuis, it'll prob get more traffic here anyways.:smoke:

I dont think i ever left my first childhood:D

6. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Our Hippo was probably drunk when he moved the thread. :) This thread can exist in the Civ3 General w/o problem since it's about Civ3 being listed on Games Domain's holiday buying guide. :santa:

Moving thread back to its rightful location...

7. Cunobelin Of Hippo

Drunk on eggnog perhaps :D How does 'age' fit in with Civ 3, oh mighty one? :p

8. ouzzo

ouzzo Chieftain

I think that that was a general discussion about the age od civ 3 fans and players

I dont think it was off topic from "general" discussions

I liked the idea and though we could use a poll to see what ages we have on the forum.

BTW i think that since CIV 1 was out in the 90's I would bet that most of the people here are in late 20's early 30's.

9. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

I think in the long run the game will played most by fogies :)..anyone over 25 is a fogey these days.It is like that with civ2.Not all are..um...more life experienced,but most.
    I think as you get older you gravitate towards a "thinkin" game.Probably because your reactions are shot and you get all stiff and sore playing real time :D

When you're younger,you want fast gratification.You don't want to wait 4 sessions and 9 hours to pulverize someone.

young-style
    ol..er..um..elder-substance

btw I am 37.Going on 19 though ;)

10. Polonius

Polonius Warlord

That sounds like a good way to do it ouzzo. Not everybody wants to identify themelves by age (and fair enough too). A poll would be anonymous. Even Firaxis might be interested in that sort of demographic information about their fan base (athough they've probably already gathered some).

Other game forums often end up with someone posting this question, and usually the response is quite large and people are pretty open about their age. In the last one I answered (for Stronghold) it was intriguing to see that one of the most knowledgeable and confident posters turned out to be a 14 year old Scottish schoolboy. Saying "I'm a grown up" in a vain attempt to get respect doesn't cut much ice - as it shouldn't!

Trouble is I'm not sure how to do polls, and I don't want to stuff it up and enrage the Hippo (Hippos are apparently very dangerous animals and responsible for more deaths per year than any other in Africa - true!). Not that I think his name really refers to that kind of Hippo... but you never know....

:eek:

11. Cunobelin Of Hippo

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Fear my wrath :D You don't know flavour country until you've chomped down on a raft full of tourists :p

If you want to make a poll, simply tick 'Post a poll!' at the bottom of your thread starting post, then set the number of options you want. A new screen will come up for you to customize it ;) Just make sure your post sounds Civ 3 related so me and TF don't have to step outside again to settle our little dispute :p

12. Polonius

Polonius Warlord

LOL!

Thanks for the tips O Cunobelin of Hippo. I'm still hiding in the reeds here, but when I get my confidence back I might give it a shot. Although, judging from the modest response to this thread it probably wouldn't attract much attention. So maybe it's not that urgent a project.

On some forums it's been quite a popular thread with people from Primary school age to pensioners all queuing up to confess. There was a guy in his eighties playing Baldur's Gate when I was on a forum for that.

If I do attempt a poll, I'll try and remember to work in a reference to the actual game. Maybe something along the lines of "Does Civ 3 prove that Sid's ready for the old folks home, and BTW how old are the rest of you?"
    :)

13. Aslan

Aslan The Great Lion

I think the demographics of this game are something we should be interested in. I was wondering what sort of people played this game also.

I will be honest, I just recently turned 21...but my mom says I've been going on forty since I was 11. :rolleyes:

As to CivIII being an older-person game...I don't know. I think it goes more along the lines of a "thinking person" game rather than an age thing.

Speaking of older people and games...I read in an interview once with Michael Crichton, the author of Jurassic Park and producer of the tv show "ER", back when he released his "Timeline" video game. He said that the game he plays the most is Unreal Tournament, and the man is in his late fifties early sixties. Go figure.

Merry Christmas

Aslan the Lion

14. Zardof

Zardof Chieftain

Well, I'm both a dad and uncle and wear slippers. I gave up smoking though. It's not my fault I was born 40 years too early :lol:

15. Zant

Zant Chieftain

I'm an uncle, I smoke and I'm wearing socks atm... all that and only 18 years of age. :D

I started playing back when I got an old 286 comp... I think I was 7 years old at that time. I've been hooked ever since :D

I play pretty much every type of game out there though... but there aren't many that have held my attention as long as the Civ series.

16. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

age? gosh..

Let me put it to you this way.

When I first started playing Civ, I couldn't hardly read

I thought that "Ironclad" said, I kid you not, "In-co-lad" incolad, I couldn't figure it out!!

17. Optimus

Optimus Chieftain

I'd go for a poll on demographics of Civers.

I for one am 24 and been playing since civ1 on the Amiga 1000. Ahh good memories ! :)

BTW, I am not an uncle, dont have slippers tho I would love some for x-mas.

I think I have a cardigan in my closet, I'm not sure... Must be old age settling in ;)

I always loved Turn based Strategy games Civ and Moo being my favorite franchises.

Merry x-mas to you all and may you get nefews and cardigans !

18. VoiceOfGod

VoiceOfGod Chieftain

"...Whether 'tis nobler in mind to suffer
    the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
    or to take up arms against a sea of troubles,
    and by opposing, end them."

"...To die, to sleep;
    to sleep, perchance to dream. Ay
    there's the rub..."

Hamlet is a beautiful work, make me appreciate Shakespear soooo much. Oh yea, I'm 17. Polonius was a character in Hamlet, says I, in a vain effort to make this post relevent.

19. Zant

Zant Chieftain

Wasn't it: "...To die, to sleep;
    to sleep, perchance to dream.
    For in this sleep of death, what
    dreams may come. Ay there's
    the rub..."

or something close to that? I can't be sure but I thought the "for in this sleep of death" part was in there too :D

Damn Hamlet made me crosseyed from reading it... sure it was a nice story but the language used got on my nerves after awhile.

20. NightReaper

NightReaper Chieftain

I'm only 15 but strategy games are just so fun to put away. Geesh First time in 6 1/2 months since I last posted. I joined in May but Civilization 2 was so fun. I just got Civ3 last week. See I forgot my Pass then I remember That I wrote it down so I am happy now.