Civilization is hitting the bottom!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JLoZeppeli, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

After two months the lowest peak ever!

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

16666 players... Football Manager, that doesn't need Steam, is 10k players above and it's pratically a game only for a limited market across Europe and South America...

Left4Dead 2 is clinging on the dead body of Civ with an awesome, for an older game by far, 16.500 players... which will be the next game to put out of the chart Civ V??

Make your bet! I vote for Test Drive Unlimited 2...

It's the end of the "one more turn" syndrome???

2. wurstburst

wurstburst Prince

Oh, the horror. It's only the 5th most popular game on Steam.

:confused:

3. Artophwar

Artophwar Chieftain

You realize that it is still in the top 10 of all games played on Steam. That list expands to 100. To be 8th in the most played game is amazing stat.

4. Jaffa Tamarin

Jaffa Tamarin Monkey Cult

If you take off your USA-centric glasses, I don't think a game about the most popular sport in the world could possibly be described as a "limited market".

5. nomooon

nomooon Chieftain

That is true. Soccer is big in Asia too and I bet many of them play football manager

6. rikkia

rikkia Chieftain

7. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

While I'm not a huge fan of Civ5 in it's current state either, threads like this (and the doomsayer hyperbole they contain) just make it easier for people to paint reasonable critics as OMG HATERS. I don't think you're really doing anyone any favors here. :p

8. Maktaka

Maktaka Warlord

This is the internet, you should know how this works by now. Everything is either total crap or the best thing ever. This determination is made by consensus, by which I mean competing opinion holders declare they are correct and the other group is wrong until one group can make their claim and someone doesn't immediately counter them, which is a clear indicator that they have won the debate, won over those who disagree, and are right forever.

9. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Isn't Civ a single player game first and foremost?...

10. wapamingo

wapamingo Prince

It is, but unless you've enabled offline steam then steam will know that you are playing civ5.

11. Wight

Wight Chieftain

YOU ARE!!! Holier than thouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

12. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Fair enough. I did. I kind of resent the thing making me sign on to play a game solo.

13. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Seriously, this is about the 3rd incarnation of this thread and everytime its an American pointing out Football Manager as if its something that doesn't sell.

14. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Won't be long before Civ V bashing rates up there with America bashing, then it will be third in line from Bush bashing, which is, of course, losing steam since Obama turned out to be such a massive fail.

15. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Nevertheless, he has a point.

The figures are constantly dropping. In the first week after release there were 70.000 people playing, and then it steadily declined.

16. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Isn't that pretty much every game?

17. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

I think its more the point of steam isnt required to RUN footbal manager. Meaning those are the number of people who actually CHOOSE to be counted by steam while playing football manager. Where as with Civ V one must actively Choose NOT to be counted. Football manager is one of the few games continually on the top 10 list that doesn't Require steam to run which is why its used in comparison so much, not because it doesn't sell.

18. charon2112

charon2112 King

To be honest, turn based strategy games are a pretty niche market. I'm not surprised at all to hear it's the fifth most popular game on Steam. In fact, I'm surprised it's even that popular, considering the popularity of FPS's and crap like that...

19. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

Nor is Steam required to play Civ. Those who do are choosing to play it that way.

One thing the stats can never show is how many people are playing 'offline' rather than not playing at all.

The numbers may be disturbing to some, but since Steam is not required to play, the numbers are also completely meaningless.

20. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Bingo. Hating Civ V is becoming the cool thing to do in this forum... The game ain't perfect, but heck, was it different here upon the release of Civ IV? Not really.

A year from now, there'll be a core audience that enjoys and sticks with the game and a smaller group of Civ IV guys who don't like it. That's pretty much where Civ IV was in relation to Civ III a year after release. I think some of those guys are still playing Civ III, honestly...