1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization is racist

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by h0ncho, Jan 22, 2011.

1. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

I actually thought that point was legitimately valid. One of the parts of Civ that I can say I hate is that the UN is something just for diplomatic victories. I want something that actually has impact in the game like the UN in Civ 4. The point of a game is to have fun, not to win. For example, if you play EU3, do you ever play to win? No, because you cant. You play to have fun. Same goes for every other game (atleast for me).

2. esemjay

esemjay Prince

There are two "schools" of Geometry that are similar in terms of dimensions 1-3, but disagree on the 4th dimension.

Euclidean Geometry assumes the 4th dimension to be the same as the 3rd. The description being: "If you take a 1 dimensional object, and "stretch" it across a new plane- you may a 2D object, such as a square. If you stretch that square along another axis, you now have 3D cube. If you stretch that 3D cube along yet another axis, you have a 4D object- a hypercube."

Minkowski Geometry is what Einstein's Theory of Relativity is based on, and uses dimensions 1-3, with the 4th dimension being time.

3. esemjay

esemjay Prince

That's actually exactly what the point of a game is: to win. Civilization has always been more of a "toy" with "game-like attributes". It is disappointing to see that Civ5 has moved towards "Game" and away from "Toy"; but I hope that it is due to a rushed release, and that they intend to add that stuff in later.

4. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Been a while since I listened in to some general relativity but I think I remember it would be possible to create a minkowski space in more dimensions as long as you keep the signature the same. So if a space dimension is added you have to add another time dimension. But as I said, it's been a while :lol:

5. esemjay

esemjay Prince

I'm not well versed enough to know why they aren't or even if they cannot be combined. So long as the system understands what each coordinate is, I don't see why (W,X,Y,Z) and (X,Y,Z,T) aren't a single system of (W,X,Y,Z,T).

I suspect that they can be, but Minkowski geometry handles "space-time" geometry, and Euclidean Geometry is only concerned with spacial geometry. So, Minkowski only cares about the 3 dimensions that "matter"; where Euclidean handles real dimensions, as well as hypothetical dimensions by extrapolating rules we understand with 1-3.

6. It may be disturbing but look at Rome, "Give them bread and circuses and they be as sheep." I can't remember who said that (And I'm pretty sure I got the quote slightly off) but it gets the point across. In ancient Rome the State ie. Emperor, would through circuses for days on end and then be free to do almost as he pleased. There is a parallel (although to a far lesser extent) In the US today, 'cause when it comes right down to it most people are idiots.

But... But... I thought we saw three? Everything I know is a lie!:cry:

7. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I started to read the quoted OP and got to like, half, when I started laughing so hard I simply had to stop reading. Just as a perfect example, the UN thing. A douche like that blogger never had the chance to taste "the power of UN" firsthand.

I'll tell you exactly what he UN is: loan sharks and racketeers. And everything is on the menu: land, food, protection, money, weapons. What you need, they can get. For a price. It was a brilliant idea, really, putting up UNICEF billboards while your UNPROFOR is "protecting" oil fields and other points of interest. Once they go in, you can't rip them out. They are like cancer, leeching on whatever government currently rules in the country (you didn't think UN comes for free, did you?) and they won't go until they complete their mission, whatever it may be.

As much as Nazism poisoned the concept of world domination, the UN poisoned the concept of a beneficial world organization. Of the two, I can't honestly say which one is worse.