Civilization IV Gold Edition Coming Soon

May I point to you all that games editors are not necessarily game designers?

It may be that 2K is trying to squeeze the lemon of all of its juices before launching the next expansion, not Fireaxis...

Pointingly,
Dragon.Jade ;-D

I have been a huge civ fan since dos day (civ2 ToT was my fav) but a friend got civ3 and i spent an afternoon playing it but couldn't get into it.. (i figured they killed civ3 like they killed Moo3*sigh*)

well i picked up civ3 gold and conquest at the same time after reading how good conquest was. Got a great bargin and got stuck back into Civ :D

Hence now i have Civ4 + warloads and will buy BtS soon too :p

Why would someone with Warlords and Civ IV already buy it for fifty bucks? Just for a stupid little poster?

They wouldn't. This is for the people who've held off buying Civ IV and all of a sudden decided they want to get the whole thing now that BtS is coming out.

Could Take2 (Firaxis and Sid have little to do with the business and marketing end of things; they are programmers, artists, and designers) have released this with BtS included? Of course they could, but that wouldn't make good business sense. The first rule of pricing is "whatever the market will bear". Take2 is a publicly traded business; they are making games to make money for their stockholders, not to please the customers (although one could argue that is the best way to make more money).

Up here in Canada stores were still asking for $60Cdn for the original Civ IV, and thats with no printed manual (since they seem to only have the bilingual versions here now). So I would have bought this Gold Edition, having been attracted back to Civ by the changes in BtS. But they were too late announcing this - 2 weeks ago I bought Civ IV from EBay (with printed manual). Oh well.

Up here in Canada stores were still asking for $60Cdn for the original Civ IV, and thats with no printed manual (since they seem to only have the bilingual versions here now). So I would have bought this Gold Edition, having been attracted back to Civ by the changes in BtS. But they were too late announcing this - 2 weeks ago I bought Civ IV from EBay (with printed manual). Oh well.

Strange. I got Civ IV and Warlords off of amazon.ca and I got a printed manual with each of them. I'm planning to get BtS from EB instead of amazon this time because I don't want to wait. I'll be quite ticked off if I don't get a printed manual.

What on earth is the point in releasing a gold edition which doesn't have the latest expansion pack, BtS ?? I miss the point here. Release it a few days later, and include BtS - much better value, at least for the consumer.

BTW, I can get Warlords in my local shopping store for £6 - has anyone seen cheaper from a retail outlet?

I dont know why some folks are so proud that they have waited it out and didnt buy Warlords, since its features will be included in BTS. I bought Warlords the day it was released, and let me tell you I got every last red cent's worth out of it. I've played it enought that the game probably cost me about a 100th of a cent per hour! :D

EDIT: Ok I just did the math, I bought Warlords for 29.99 CAD + tax = $34.19 That's 3,419 cents * 100 = 341,900 Therefore I would have had to play the game 341,900 hours to have played it for 100th of a cent an hour. There are only (365 * 24) 8,760 hours in a year, so this would be imposible with out a time machine. I could realisticly say that I played the game for a nickel an hour at 700 hours of gameplay. But still.... :D

What on earth is the point in releasing a gold edition which doesn't have the latest expansion pack, BtS ?? I miss the point here. Release it a few days later, and include BtS - much better value, at least for the consumer.

What on Earth makes you think a business has the consumer's value in mind? :eek: The parent company is a publicly traded company. This means that it's sole obligation is to make its investors the most money possible. I think this strategy is designed with that in mind. They have a new expansion which requires the base game to play. If they want a new player to buy it, it makes sense that they give the potential customer a way to give them money.

warpstorm said:
What on Earth makes you think a business has the consumer's value in mind? :eek: The parent company is a publicly traded company. This means that it's sole obligation is to make its investors the most money possible. I think this strategy is designed with that in mind. They have a new expansion which requires the base game to play. If they want a new player to buy it, it makes sense that they give the potential customer a way to give them money.

Well, that is true - I didn't think of the potential new player. But even still, I can find a cheaper way of obtaining Civ4 and Warlords without paying £25 (equivalent of $50 I guess). And you don't actually need Civ4 Warlords for the BtS expansion to work - all you get with Warlords are some Scenarios, which I actually haven't bothered to play (are they any good?). I can see some business sense in this, but like many business ploys, it seeks to reward the business more than the customer with value for money.

BTW, I can get Warlords in my local shopping store for £6 - has anyone seen cheaper from a retail outlet?
The point is that for those without civ4 at all to get all previous content in one convenient package, before buying BTS. It's possible that you can get both vanilla and warlords for same or even lower price, or even decide to skip warlords altogether, but some people might consider it worth it to use this more expensive option but get the poster, warlords' scenarios and the other goodies.
Yeah sure it's not exactly an awesome deal but then again these companies are in the business of games, not charity of games - of course they're gonna want to make some extra money out of the BTS related hype, but it's not a ripoff deal either.

And in a year or so we will see CIV IV Platinum Edition, including BTS?

how about the uranium edition? or maybe the Titanium edition?

we surely wouldn't have this if our controlling player hadn't chosen the 'free market' civic! good thing we have the 'free speech' civic to complain about it! :lol:

^^ A light hearted approach to this discussion - nice to see!! :lol: You should try posting something similar on some other threads on this forum, BuddhaBubba - some of them can get so serious, and "it's only a game" ;) .

how about the uranium edition? or maybe the Titanium edition?

we surely wouldn't have this if our controlling player hadn't chosen the 'free market' civic! good thing we have the 'free speech' civic to complain about it! :lol:

In the case of Neverwinter Nights they actually had an NWN:Gold which had the main game and first expansion. This was followed by NWN:platinum which came with both expansions. Finally they had NWN:Diamond which had both expansions and the Kingmaker mini-expansion (which was just a couple of extra adventures and not full fledged ex pack) all on a single DVD.

The Navy Seal said:
I think that they should have waited for BtS before they released and had included BtS in it that would have made more sense.

Yes!! Exactly - I don't have a business, I am a "consumer" or "customer", and I don't care what makes most sense to them - this is the most sensible option IMO ;) . Look, why don't they release a Complete Edition immediately after, instead of this gold edition a few days before?? I know, I know....cause it makes more money ..... yeah, whatever....

Top Bottom