1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization IV in Catalan

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by gangleri2001, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Hi there!!!!

I'm pleased to show you my translation of Civilization IV into Catalan. It has been several months working on it but now it's over. You can already enjoy the game in Catalan!! YEAH!!!! I'M SO EXCITED THAT I'LL JUMP ON A COUCH JUST LIKE TOM CRUISE DID!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy. But it has been 9 months working on it. It's like having some sort of son, you know? Anyways, here you got the translation:

Download Civilization IV in Catalan here (hosted at UPLOADING.COM)

This is a complete translation. That means that you'll find a:

1. Translated interface
    2. Translated Civilopedia (And I mean TRANSLATED. I did not take any text from Wikipedia)
    3. Audio in Catalan (you'll love my voice and my amateur dubbing :lol:)

It's a 27.1 Mb mod (about 20 if compressed), that's why it's not hosted here (it exceeds 10 Mb limit). BTW, this is just available for Vanilla. Maybe someday I'll start the translation of Warlords and Beyond the Sword. Who knows? But don't worry about that: if you have Warlords or BtS you may also use this translation, even though you'll find the stuff of the expansions untranslated.

Enjoy it anyways. BTW, in this spoiler you got some screenshots:

Spoiler :

Have a nice day ;)

Other fan-made translations I could find at Civfanatics.com:

Finnish
    Russian

Edit:

D'oh! I forgot the special thanks section!!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    ME: for being so cool and translating and dubbing all that stuff.
    JÚLIA SANTACANA: For translating the resources section and civilizations section of the Civilopedia.
    KAHKONEN: For his guidance
    SWAN & THE CIVFANATICS.RU COMMUNITY: For trying to help

2. gangleri2001

The game comes with other 4 mods, these are: Tutorial, American Revolution, Greek World and Desert War. The Catalonia mod will also be translated. If you want to play these mods in catalan too, you can also download their mod components here in order to play them in Catalan, you can also do your suggestions too ;):

Tutorial

Learn the basics of the game in Catalan.

Go to this other thread to download it.

Screenshot:
    Spoiler :

American Revolution

Become a Founding Father... of Catalonia :)lol: Just kidding)

Go to this other thread to download it.

Screenshot:
    Spoiler :

Desert War in Catalan: Coming soon
    Greek World in Catalan: Coming soon
    Catalonia in Catalan: Coming soon

3. gangleri2001

Reserved for Warlords in Catalan.

4. gangleri2001

Reserved for BtS in Catalan.

5. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

Just out of interest but did you try to find out how many people would actually use it? I understand that Catalan people are very proud but I hope your work will be appreciated by enough people.

6. gangleri2001

Well, to be sincere, I did it for me. And who knows? Maybe this translation will bring lots of catalans here. Anyway I'm realistic and I know that there are no lots of catalans in civfanatics. But I see in your words some prejudice on Catalan. Even though it's quite off topic, let me remove from your head that prejudice. First of all, compare the (approximate) total amount of speakers of these lanuages:

Finnish

Swedish

Hungarian

Czech

Catalan

All these languages (except Swedish) have translations of Civilization IV. All these languages have approximately the same speakers as Catalan does (there're no de facto differences between a language with 6, 9 or 15 million speakers). Of these languages, there's one (Finnish) that has even less speakers (and so, potential players of Civilization) than Catalan. None of the translations into these languages where accused of being useless or whatever you meant, except CATALAN.

I hope that what I said will help you to remove from your head any prejudice on Catalan language. BTW, what do you think of my job? I'd really like to know your or anybody else's opinion on my work.

7. mice

mice Moose

Bravo !! , and the mod will be much more useful than than Tom Cruise.

I'm gonna dl it out of interest.

8. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

Slight misunderstanding there I think: I don't have a prejudice against the Catalan language. I don't have any prejudice to any language as a matter of fact.

I admire the time and effort you put into translating Civ. It must've been a pain at times. Only therefor I hope your mod will be donwloaded and appreciated.

9. gangleri2001

In that case, I've got to find a way to make catalan players know that this mod has been released, right? But how could I do that without releasing the mod?

Let me do that, I know where they are (catalan freecivers and other people like that, for example).

10. zhardan

zhardan Chieftain

Downloading!

Gràcies!

Edit to say: Increible l'audio!

11. gangleri2001

Finally another catalan at civfanatics! About 30 from racocatala.cat told me that they have already dowloaded it. 30 in just 24 hours, not that bad. Fortunatelly, you have been proven wrong, Hyronymus ;)

12. Sir DOC

Sir DOC Chieftain

Downloading...
    Moltes gràcies, una feina increïble! (Thanks a lot, an amazing work!).

13. Kao'chai

Kao'chai Newbie in Modding

how is this different from spanish

14. NikNaks

NikNaks Chieftain

Spanish =/= Catalan

They're often spoken by the same people, but Catalan is a different language altogether.

15. gangleri2001

NikNaks, Kao'chai comes from a former spanish colony and some people in Phillippines (specially around Zamboanga) speak a spanish-derived creole known as chavacano. I suppose that this is why he asks this.

Well, Kao'chai, if you can chavacano, you will probably cannot understand this. But well, there you got the screenshots and the mod. Judge it yourself ;)

16. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

Whatever makes you happy :confused:.

17. Kimbal

Kimbal Chieftain

You could have asked as well, how is this different from frech?

Anyway great job gangleri2001, it's very much appreciated

18. gangleri2001

:bump:

The Tutorial translated into Catalan is now available.

19. Tommy1234567890

Tommy1234567890 Chieftain

Actually in most Latin American countries, we say that we speak Castellano or Castillian Spanish, while Catalan Sapins is another language and Gallego Spanish is another.

Never say that the other spanishs are dialects from the standard spanish, its like mixing up Brits with Englismen , or Scots with Welsh, it can get nasty

20. housemadrid

housemadrid Chieftain

ayyy los catalanes, el catalán y vuestra política linguística....siempre quereís estar en todo no? (Es una broma para los españoles [pocos] que estemos en el juego jajaja)

I agree with you Catalán is not a dialect, it's a common mistake that people do. It's a language with it's own grammar and Academia like the english or the spanish, the problem is that it's widely less spoken than those two.

Secondly, It's really good that the second language spoken in Spain becomes popular in the gaming world. I don't see the problem of making a translation in Catalan to promote the players of Catalunya Country to play a lot of games. I'll like to congratulate ganglieri2001 for his translation, as a Spaniard.