Civilization IV Official Strategy Guide

Cool maybe they are planning to release in October if the Strategy Guide is comming out already!!!!

Personally, I'd rather be reading a printed strategy guide at my own leisure than adding up a phone bill by viewing one online. Especially if spending that $20 gives me a heads up on what I should expect from playing the game itself once I install it onto the computer, instead of shooting from the hip with no real info on how to play.

Hell yes. I'm so going to be buying that book.

yeah I will be buyin that book too but waitin untill it comes avaible at a local store not off the internet(stupid shippin costs)

It sounds pretty smart to release the Strategy Guide before the game. Instead of sitting around waiting for the game to come out some of you guys will say "heck, I'll just buy the book now to give me something to do until the game comes out, as reading the book will sort of be like playing the game anyway."

Of course, with the amount of time you need to get a print job that big in, it'll be sadly out of date. It would have had to have been based on an early summer build.

warpstorm said:
Of course, with the amount of time you need to get a print job that big in, it'll be sadly out of date. It would have had to have been based on an early summer build.

I can imagine situations in which it would not be that badly out of date. Depends on who writes it. Depends on how radically the game changes in the final couple of months. I don't usually think highly of strat guides for the very reasons you cite, but let's hear more about this one before we judge it. :)

- Sirian

if you read the fine print it isn't out yet. They have been advertising civ4 for months to pre order it

Sirian said:
I can imagine situations in which it would not be that badly out of date.

True. If the rules and stats were locked down by then it could be fine. I just remember how much was changed in the last few months of PTW and C3C developement.

rschissler said:
It sounds pretty smart to release the Strategy Guide before the game. Instead of sitting around waiting for the game to come out some of you guys will say "heck, I'll just buy the book now to give me something to do until the game comes out, as reading the book will sort of be like playing the game anyway."
:eek: What if everyone buys the book, and then they NEVER release the game?! :eek:

joethreeblah said:
:eek: What if everyone buys the book, and then they NEVER release the game?! :eek:
or what's worse: what if the DO release the game, but YOU never get to play it?! :cry: :lol:

warpstorm said:
True. If the rules and stats were locked down by then it could be fine. I just remember how much was changed in the last few months of PTW and C3C developement.

PTW and C3C didn't have a long run-up of MP testing, though, right?

Sirian said:
I don't usually think highly of strat guides for the very reasons you cite, but let's hear more about this one before we judge it. :)

- Sirian

Has Sirian been writing a strategy guide?

any game-selling site like ebgames or gamestop

Bradygames or Primagames always release strategy guides before the game comes out, or during its release. And they always suck. They are overpriced, often poorly edited, and almost always wrong on many details/stats.

In an age of online encyclopedias of hints or strategies(Gamefaqs, etc.), fansites(Civfanatics, etc.), and forum communities(here, etc.) can be constantly updated by people interested enough in the subject to do so on their own free time, I can't see why anyone would pay for those worthless books. Print out an online FAQ if you want a hard copy, or save them to disk if you don't want to tie up your phone line looking at them.

playshogi said:
Has Sirian been writing a strategy guide?

No. Been too busy analyzing, designing and programming.

;)

Still, it's good for people to leave room for things to be better than expected. You don't bank on it, you don't get out on a limb, you don't invest too much hope and emotion, but... Leave room. Sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised. :cooool:

- Sirian

Top Bottom