1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization IV Opening Strategy Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by tks2103, Nov 5, 2009.

1. tks2103

tks2103 Chieftain

Hi guys!

I'm a long time reader and I've learned a lot from this website. I took my game from Noble to Immortal from the strategies on this forum, so I thought I'd try to give something back. I'm not the best player, but I've recorded a video walkthrough of the first 100 turns of an Emperor playthrough. Here's the linky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhT8H55jPKY&feature=PlayList&p=5EBFD9F46C4E11B6&index=0&playnext=1

Let me know if you guys like it, and, if you are an elite player, help me get better! =P.

Tanoy Sinha

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Looks good, watched the first 2 and made some comments there but now I'm hungry so I will get food before finishing that.

Your video quality is far superior to mine. What are you using to record? Although possibly with my better machine I can get some decent quality also finally.

It may sound strange, but it's good to have some high-level competition for youtube LP's. I've mostly been on an island there since I did videos, and it's good to see the styles of presentation and alternate strategies in play.

On another positive note, I can actually record again myself :).

3. Bolddrengen

Bolddrengen Chieftain

Off topic: Make Diety soon! :lol:

On topic:

Haven't seen all of it but it looks good, quality is very nice sound/video, and you can for sure learn a thing or two if you a new to the game, or not a top player :)

4. tks2103

tks2103 Chieftain

TMIT:

Your videos were the inspiration for these. I really dig your play, but the video quality was rough. My recording process is:

Use fraps to record the raw video, FULL-SIZE, 30fps
    Use anri-chan to encode to one big mp4 file
    Use mkvmerge to rewrap the file in mkv (youtube likes mkv more)

I can upload a video that explains my process, that will probably help.
    Thanks for all the tips, I'm already learning stuff.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Deity is really hard. Only a handful of players regularly play it. I'm trying to join that group and have made strides (winning lib, taking civs out, even winning now and then but very rarely). Now, playing deity QUICKLY makes it harder still. Doing it WHILE thinking of what to say while recording is even a step beyond that. This is why we're seeing this guy playing a level down and why I myself played a level down for a while...record+play adds a little extra challenge that normally isn't there.

edit:

Much of the video quality was a straight-up hardware limitation...I was doing it on a laptop and with questionable RAM, an OK processor, and non-dedicated video :sad:. None of those things are issues now :goodjob:, but I'm playing around with fraps to see if I can raise the quality. There's no reason my new machine can't handle high quality video.

6. BigTime

BigTime Prince

Does this mean another let's play is in the works? I learned a lot from those, and I would love to see more of those!

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yes, I'm working on one too, but the OP's is quite good so I suggest looking there also.

8. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

That's very good. More detail on the whipping might be better for new players. Would love to see you continue with the war against the French. I think that might help new players too. Please post again if you do decide to continue. Thanks.

9. gspchamp999

gspchamp999 Warlord

Thought it was going to be 2 videos long....got sucked into them all.

Would love to see the war.

10. Saltydog

Saltydog Chieftain

Much enjoyed. Thanks for putting in the time.

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

FRAPS costs money. I've been monkeying around with Cam Studio a bit and found I can run video at 100% quality now which appears to give me a comparable look to what you're getting.

12. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

good series. I just finished reading and left a few comments. that was rough on the barb spawning event. Well managed though. A couple of questions though:

Why not finish this game?

And why the lack of roads? Was this a result of the early barb invasion?

It made a nice change to hear someone else's voice other than the TMIT's :D

Much better than this guys walkthrough, which was the biggest waste of life ever (mine and his). Kind of reminds me of that IGN guide on civilization, but the youtube version. I dont know why the guy even bothered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQZC_bFtyzs

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

A lot of people do LPs for fun rather than to showcase skill or instruct. I have no problems with Dap64's videos, even if they're not like mine or the OP's.

14. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Granted it may be for fun, but why expose yourself to the abuse he is bound to get?

15. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

I've watched 3 videos so far and I'm liking the series. I'm playing my first game on Monarch so I'm not at your level yet. One point regarding continuity: in video #2 (I think) you said you would grow the capital to size 3 before building a settler, then in video #3 you started the settler at size 2, and I did not hear an explanation of the change in plan. I'm guessing the change was because the best you had for a 3rd tile to work was the (unimproved) spice tile which wouldn't have sped up the settler build much...is that right?

16. gspchamp999

gspchamp999 Warlord

I believe all his cities were riverside, or had a road to a river, which connected them all in trade route without having a direct path of roads from city to city.

17. tks2103

tks2103 Chieftain

Regarding the roads: Sherbz answered that. My cities are connected because they are on the same river. It's also how I get trade routes with many other civs!

Regarding the Dap642's playthrough: Playthroughs are difficult to record and post for many reasons, not the least of which is the inevitable ridicule you face on the internet. I'm just glad people are posting stuff and playing Civ IV!

Regarding FRAPS video quality vs. CamStudio: Actually the quality of FRAPS is pretty overkill for youtube. The video masters I have on my computer are much higher quality than what has been posted. I'll look into CamStudio and see if I can glean some info on how best to record, though I'm sure you can figure out the best way through Trial and Error (tm).

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yeah. Again, don't forget that the main reason it looked so terrible was a NON DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD and only 1 gig of ram on a laptop. I have yet to post anything with the new rig so it's not a fair comparison yet. Cam Studio certainly wasn't designed for game recording though, so FRAPS is probably better. That said, I can guarantee you'll be able to read everything in my videos now, even if they don't look quite as crisp as yours (btw I'm compressing audio for a segment to 1 AD ;)).

19. tks2103

tks2103 Chieftain

Any Vedic Aryans?

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Not unless you count Shaka.

I lost it though, I recorded for too long and it didn't work properly.

I will stick to 10 minute segments and start over tomorrow.

I did play the game out...I was victoria and I sword rushed shaka. After that I automated everything while adding some workers/settlers to grab > 20 cities, wound up with an 1840's UN.

In retrospect, it was probably a good thing I lost the save, since the youtubers are tired of me spamming UN victories :lol:.