Resource icon

[GRAPHICS] Civilization IV Remaster 1.7.3

tomekum

Chieftain
I just wanted to share with you guys the mod I am working on. It's called Civilization IV Remaster. It is mostly focused on improving the visuals of the game and keeping the gameplay vanilla. The mayor features are:

- changed the fog of war from black to animated clouds
- new vivid terrain textures similar to those in Civ6
- new modern city bar colored with team color
- interface recolour (less transparency)
- reworked some icons to look more clear
- smaller units
- larger world wonders by vincentz
- cultural citystyles by GeoModder
- Taurus (aka BULL/BUG - BtS Unaltered Gameplay DLL) by f1rpo

Download

How to install:
1. Unzip the archive using 7Zip
2. Copy the "Civ IV Remaster" folder into C:/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/ folder where other mods are placed
3. Run the game
4. In the main menu click ADVANCED -> LOAD A MOD
5. From the mods list select Civ IV Remaster and click OK
6. Once the mod has been loaded you can play the game

To install clouds of war shader you need to:
1. Find shaders folder of your Beyond the Sword installation. For steam users it's usually
C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Shaders
2. Backup original FXO folder inside folder from point 1
3. Copy FXO folder from Civ IV Remaster.7z archive (modded FXO is located in /Shaders folder) into folder from point 1 (override existing files)
4. Play the game

Note that you need to override shaders in "Beyond the Sword" folder, not the vanilla Civ4 folder.

Link to video.

screen-godrays.png

screen7.png

screen17.png

screen9.png

Github: https://github.com/tomekumb/civ4remaster

Attachments

• screen11.png
    screen11.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
  • screen15.png
    screen15.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Very nice and colorful !!!
How do I install it ?? Because I have blue Marble and I’m new to civ 4 BTS

Very nice and colorful !!!
How do I install it ?? Because I have blue Marble and I’m new to civ 4 BTS

You have to:
1. Unzip the archive attached to the main post (Civ IV Remaster.7z)
2. Copy the "Civ IV Remaster" folder into C:/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/ folder where other mods are placed
3. Run the game
4. In the main menu click ADVANCED->LOAD A MOD
5. From the mods list select 'Civ IV Remaster' and click OK

You have to:
1. Unzip the archive attached to the main post (Civ IV Remaster.7z)
3. Run the game
4. In the main menu click ADVANCED->LOAD A MOD
5. From the mods list select 'Civ IV Remaster' and click OK
Thank you so much

I fiddled a bit with graphics to make it look more modern. I thought that Civ VI tileset was easier to the eyes and so I made following tweaks:

- Civ 6 like terrain textures (I based the tileset on Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn but I made it more smooth and changed the colors to be more vibrant and resemble Civ 6 tiles)
- Lower mountains (I thought that lower mountains look better)
- Smaller units size

UI:
- Solid yield icons with black background to make it more visible (I based those on icons from Realism Invictus mod)
- Removed transparency from menus and tooltips
- changed menu color to more Civ VI like

Download

How to install:
1. Unzip the archive using 7Zip
3. Run the game
4. In the main menu click ADVANCED -> LOAD A MOD
5. From the mods list select Civ IV Remaster and click OK

Here are some screenshots (those are from great History Rewritten mod merged with my remastered graphics):

Changelog:

- fixed unit size for galley (it was waaaay too big) also now units are 66% the size of default size
- fixed blending for plains texture
- a bit more vibrant mountains

- smaller cities (like 66% of the original)
- greener grasslands and plains
- removed bottom middle interface background so more terrain is visible
- faster camera scroll
- camera is more isometric when zooming out

- Updated plains texture to be more distinguishable from grassland

- changed the texture for mountains to brownish and more detailed
- fixed textures for grid view

I have a question. How do you actually merge the CIV IV Remaster with modpack like History Rewritten? When i first tried it, the game just crashed. What should i do?

Hi i am really interested in these graphics modifications.
But I want to play my mods too.
Is there a way to play this midified terrains and UI without loading it as a mod?
Is there a way to get

AND (Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn 2) has its own terrain textures, presumably in terrain_textures_and.fpk. Textures placed directly in Assets\Art should take precedence over those in fpk archives, so, if you just copy the Remaster artwork (contents of Assets\Art) into your AND folder (into Assets\Art), that might do the trick. This approach merges the Remaster mod into AND. (You may want to create a backup of AND if you go down this road, or at least of any files that you delete or overwrite.) If you still see the AND terrain, removing terrain_textures_and.fpk (renaming it won't be enough) should make sure that terrain textures get loaded from Assets\Art. Instead of merging the mods, you could also try placing the Remaster textures in CustomAssets (under My Games); I don't know what the order of precedence is in that case, and you'd have to toggle NoCustomArt to 0 in Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.ini.

AND doesn't have a custom theme (no Resource folder), so it should be fine to just copy the Resource folder from Remaster. Will have to update the mod name in Civ4.thm though to match the name of the AND folder (perhaps that's what caused a crash for MalayanGamer: "failed to initialize primary control theme"), and also in XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml under DEFAULT_THEME_NAME.

Speaking of XML changes – there are no comments in the Remaster XML files that say which values were changed. For the most part, those files are as in BtS. The ones that don't already exist in AND you can simply copy, but, for those that have to be merged with the AND file of the same name (i.e. GlobalDefines.xml and XML\Art), you'd have to look at a diff (using e.g. WinMerge) between the BtS version of the file and the Remaster version and then copy only the values that differ – otherwise you risk undoing changes that AND has made to those files. Or you could just not merge any XML changes other than DEFAULT_THEME_NAME; I doubt that the texture and theme changes depend on the XML changes.

... OK, Remaster changes these GlobalDefines:
CAMERA_UPPER_PITCH, CAMERA_LOWER_PITCH, CAMERA_MIN_SCROLL_SPEED, CAMERA_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED, CAMERA_FORCE_TO_SMALLEST_MAX_DISTANCE, FIELD_OF_VIEW

Scale factor changes in Civ4ArtDefines_Improvement.xml: ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_MINE, ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_WINDMILL
In Civ4ArtDefines_Misc.xml: CITY_BILLBOARDS
In Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml: I think only DEF_UNIT_WORKER_SOUTH_AMERICA – but it's a bit hard to say because some accident seems to have removed all line breaks and tabs from the Remaster version of this file.​

While I'm posting here, I'd like to add a link to this thead in the Tech Support subforum. Might help players who can't see all workable tiles on the city screen due to the low FIELD_OF_VIEW value. When I tried the mod a while ago, I was also unable to zoom out into Globe view, which might be on purpose, but is imo a questionable idea because this makes the Globe layers inaccessible. I'm guessing that CAMERA_FORCE_TO_SMALLEST_MAX_DISTANCE is responsible.

Top Bottom