Civilization Leader Pass: New DLC most likely coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the Chinese source is legit or just wishful thinking, but hoo boy, Nader Shah is someone I'd be quite looking forward. Probably the most from the bunch, with Ludwig II coming close second.

Last edited:
Geez, you spend a few months away from the community and they drop new DLC.

Regarding the possible new leaders: My picks for favorites would be Ludwig blows Ana. I recognize the latter isn't very historical, but this exact combo was highly requested pre release. Firaxis does listen to their fans

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually preferred a one leader per civ model with streamlined abilities. They could still be strong or interesting without needing multiple paragraphs to describe what they do.

I doubt it will happen though because the developers have latched onto that as a relatively easy way to add content.
Actually, it's more popular, a lot of people don't like these expansive abilities, and I believe Ed himself said that for Civ 7 they are looking to keep abilities simpler.

And I agree, I really don't like how I have most of Civ 5 leaders abilities memorised to a tea, but with 6 I often have to remind myself of what they were.

Geez, you spend a few months away from the community and they drop new DLC.

Regarding the possible new leaders: My picks for favorites would be Ludwig blows Ana. I recognize the latter isn't very historical, but this exact combo was highly requested pre release. Firaxis does listen to their fans
You might want to read through your post thoroughly, mate. Very thoroughly...

Anyways:
At this point, basically every single viable leader for a given civ has been requested. Nothing gets the community more engaged than talking about potential civs and leaders and the chance to discuss history facts.
Yep, that sums us up pretty well. All that's missing is the people who seem to have the eyes of owls, given all the itty-bitty details that they somehow manage to catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hoping for a Spymaster Governor since Gathering Storm. That always seemed like such an obvious omission to me. I'll be happy with a new single Unique Governor, though better yet would be to get both a Spymaster AND a new unique governor for one of the new leaders. :mischief:
The more I think about it, I'd be surprised if Elizabeth doesn't come with Walsingham the Spymaster. It seems too obvious a thing to differentiate herself from Victoria and Eleanor.
Well tomorrow we have the official announcement of the new DLC. I m not that hyped tho; because if there was a bet; I would place all my stakes on that will be a "Fantasy" themed DLC. I am ready for the disappointment. Please devs prove me wrong 🙄
I have a good feeling that Ana Nzinga leading the Kongo might be the most "fantasy" thing about it. :p

A question re: timing.

Why tomorrow?

Was Firaxis waiting for the US midterms to conclude?
Make an announcement the same day as Trump? 🤔

😂
Two possible reasons:

1. They are massive trolls.

2. They usually do reveals on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

3. Could be both at the same time.

Whatever FXS will announce, similar or better is already delivered by Modders. However FXS’ bugs will never be forgotten

2. They usually do reveals on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Looking at NFP as a general guide, Monday/Tuesday have been for announcements, Tuesday/Thursday for First Looks, Wednesdays were for livestreams.

A question re: timing.

Why tomorrow?

Was Firaxis waiting for the US midterms to conclude?
Make an announcement the same day as Trump? 🤔

😂

It probably has nothing to do with politics. The Chinese leak indicates it was supposed to come out last month (6th anniversary of Civ 6), but was delayed. But if they waited any longer, it would clash with the final marketing rundown for Midnight Suns.

I've been hoping for a Spymaster Governor since Gathering Storm. That always seemed like such an obvious omission to me. I'll be happy with a new single Unique Governor, though better yet would be to get both a Spymaster AND a new unique governor for one of the new leaders. :mischief:
The other “obvious but unused” Governor types are a Colonial Governor that can only be placed on Foreign Continents and a Governor that’s the reverse ie can only be placed on your home continent.

I still think the biggest gap or missed opportunity with Governors is that they’re aren’t new types of Governors that you unlock in the end game via Tier 3 and 4 Governments or late game Civics.

Late game Governors is probably the top thing I’d hope FXS would add to the game, along with Ideological pressure and more late game units. But I don’t have huge hopes for any of that in this pass even via game modes etc. Although I think at least one more Unique Governor tied to a leader and one or two new units are pretty likely.

The other “obvious but unused” Governor types are a Colonial Governor that can only be placed on Foreign Continents and a Governor that’s the reverse ie can only be placed on your home continent.
I feel like depending on the situation a Colonial Governor installed in a city might lose loyalty. :mischief:

A Grand Admiral might be interesting, for naval purposes.

I still think the biggest gap or missed opportunity with Governors is that they’re aren’t new types of Governors that you unlock in the end game via Tier 3 and 4 Governments or late game Civics.
I mean an Energy or Climate Czar comes to mind. :shifty:

Last edited:
Yeah, I know all this.

Please no separate HRE civ though. Civ4 tried that and had Charlemagne leading a civ with a Landsknecht UU and a city list including Vienna, Prague, and Milan. It was a terrible Frankenstein civ.

This whole conversation is evidence of the fact that modern politics are retroactively applied to history and obfuscate what otherwise could be a fairly simple matter.

Yes, Reich #1 and Reich #2 were different, separate political entities.

But I think Maria Theresa would have disagreed with you if you told her she wasn’t “Deutsch.” The term only became associated with a particular political, national identity with the advent of the Prussian-led Germany in 1871.

She absolutely was not associated with that Germany. She pre-dated that entire concept.

It’s kind of like like trying to say whether Charlemagne led France or Germany, or whether Charles V should lead Germany, Austria, or Spain. Their empires incorporated those lands, but the modern nation-states are not an exact match for them and are needlessly exclusive.

Maria Theresa led a political entity that pre-dated the modern nation-states of Germany and Austria and was their “parent” if you will.
so for HRE you say no, cuz modern politics are retroactively but with Maria Theresa you say its okay
and i'm 100% sure, she wouldn't say she was "Deutsche" cuz german or germany didn't exist at that time
if you would ask her if she would be "Deutsche" or "Österreicherin" she clearly would give a long anwser that she is the Empress of XYZ and Queen of ZYX and so on.

I’ve got my master’s in history too. I’d recommend googling “why did Bismarck exclude Austria” and researching the concept of Kleindeutschland.

Prior to Prussia co-opting the term Germany, Austria could potentially have started a “German” empire too.
Awesome. The Peace of Prague. Interessting. It was mostly to forma pre german and end the war. And to stop the french from gaining more land from the war between the prussians and austrians.
But i'm gotta go to the national library in vienna, gotat read that back up.

And we both shouldn't forget, that they used the word german, from the latin germanica, what the old romans allready used. So that word german alone, did change a lot in the centuries xD.

And a little fun fact. In Austria there is still a saying "Diese Preussen schon wieder" translates to "those prussian again". And its usually said, if some germans are special or stupid, like eating viennesse schnitzel with gravy.

I've seen very credible studies that attribute the fall of the western Roman empire to knock-on effects of the Antonine Plague undermining the military and economy.
The studies I've seen recently are now blaming the combination of two major plagues - Antonine and Cyprian - each wiping out 30% or more of the population and the two hitting less than a century apart. The Empire didn't have time to recover demographically from the first before the second hit, and there are indications that the total population figures did not recover at all during the remaining time of the Empire. For certain, in the Notitia Dignitorum that lists all the units in the Roman Imperial Army after 300 CE, there are far more 'foreign' units (identified specifically by their Nationality: Sarmatians, Huns, Germans, etc) compared to Roman ones in the army, indicating some serious problems recruiting enough native Romans to serve. By the next century most of the elite units in the 'Roman' Army were German and the army itself largely 'barbarized' - the majority non-Roman foreigners.

so for HRE you say no, cuz modern politics are retroactively but with Maria Theresa you say its okay
and i'm 100% sure, she wouldn't say she was "Deutsche" cuz german or germany didn't exist at that time
if you would ask her if she would be "Deutsche" or "Österreicherin" she clearly would give a long anwser that she is the Empress of XYZ and Queen of ZYX and so on.

I’m not sure I get your point here. Germany the nation state didn’t exist at that time, but German language and culture certainly did. My point is that she wouldn’t view being German and Austrian as mutually exclusive things. That’s a nineteenth/twentieth century notion, and you can thank Prussia for making the former exclusive of the latter.

All of this is moot anyway, as I’m totally fine with her leading an Austrian civ like in Civ5. I just doubt that we’re going to get brand new civs in the LP.

I play with this mod enabled that adds Austria led by Maria Theresa: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2101108145

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom