Civilization Leader Pass: New DLC most likely coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, funny story:

I had a dream last night that the Leader Pass trailer was revealed. Other unrelated things were happening in the dream that I don't remember, and I don't remember some of the Leader Pass part either, but here's what I do remember about the Leader Pass reveal part.

1. I was trying so desperately to start the thread first, but my hands were shaking like I was in Siberia.
2. The trailer opened with Ibrahim III, holding a book, leading the Ottomans. Ibrahim III, however, never even existed, so it was probably my brain accidentally using Ibrahim the Mad, since the Ibrahim in my dream looked like IRL Ibrahim.
3. @Zaarin was apparently upset that Strawberries and Black/Blueberries were combined into a single resource called Berries???*
4. The Zhu Di scenario apparently gave the player the goal of building the most wonders

*I forgot to mention this, but Zaarin had his old profile pic as well, instead of the Babylon 5 pic he has now.

In short; Dreams are incoherent, and I probably should not have watched too many Civ VI First Look trailers, nor looked through the CivFanatics forums, before going to bed. :V

To contribute to the thread:

I'm pretty sure "Angola" was one of the titles that the King of Kongo had, and they're around the same region, so I don't think they need to make a new Civ just for Ana Nzinga.
Summoned, I come.

Someone mentioned this post elsewhere, and it was enough to bring me out of self-imposed exile. :lol:

Summoned, I come.

Someone mentioned this post elsewhere, and it was enough to bring me out of self-imposed exile. :lol:
I am wondering if you are more excited for the return of Lizzy, or a non-Hellenistic leader for Egypt?

I am wondering if you are more excited for the return of Lizzy, or a non-Hellenistic leader for Egypt?
TBH I'm so burned out on Civ (I haven't gotten past turn 30 or so in well over a year) and so disenchanted by NFP's low quality (which I expect this patch to continue), I have a hard time getting excited about either. :p Still, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, especially if they nail Lizzy's fiery personality. And make her speak Elizabethan English instead of Cate Blanchett English. :D Not that there's anything wrong with Cate Blanchett English. :mischief: Overall, though, I would much rather have seen Civ7 announced.

so for HRE you say no, cuz modern politics are retroactively but with Maria Theresa you say its okay
and i'm 100% sure, she wouldn't say she was "Deutsche" cuz german or germany didn't exist at that time
The German national identity precedes the formation of the state. Germans certainly existed, not merely in the sense of an anthropologist or Historian looking back and identifying a certain people as German, but in the sense of the people living there, or at least a certain class of people, having the understanding of being part of a shared German culture.

Maria Theresa absolutely would have said she was German. The concept of Austria being something other than German is an artifact of Austria being excluded from Germany by Bismarck's Prussia--and it was excluded precisely because it was clear that when German unification happened it would happen under Prussia or Austria. The HRE included non-German peoples like the Czechs, Pomeranians, and Baltic Old Prussians, but its core territory was always referred to as "the Germanies."

Maria Theresa absolutely would have said she was German. The concept of Austria being something other than German is an artifact of Austria being excluded from Germany by Bismarck's Prussia--and it was excluded precisely because it was clear that when German unification happened it would happen under Prussia or Austria. The HRE included non-German peoples like the Czechs, Pomeranians, and Baltic Old Prussians, but its core territory was always referred to as "the Germanies."

I asked this earlier, you might know better:
Would she agree that she was "Deutsch"? I remember reading that the term Deutsch referred not only to an emerging national identity, but to the social class in which that identity was most prevalent (the middle classes). I thought the elites weren't too keen on that for a very long time. I recall reading excerpts of Frederick the Great repeatedly admonishing "Germanness" and comparing it negatively with "Frenchness", particularly "high" culture.

I suspect that she would see herself, above all, as Catholic.

I asked this earlier, you might know better:
No, Deutsch was not a class term. It descends from a term that simply means "the people," and it's generally what Germanic peoples in general called themselves (the same root is present in Theodoric, "king of the people"). You are correct that she would have regarded herself first and foremost as Catholic; in the post-Reformation days, religion trumped ethnicity. That doesn't mean ethnic identity didn't exist, however. (Though it certainly functioned differently from how it functions today, where it has been warped by nationalism, which was still nascent in Maria Theresa's time. The seeds of national identities were sprouting--and were in full bloom in France and England--but they weren't yet at the fever pitch that would cause so much bloodshed and heartache in the 19th and 20th--and 21st--centuries.)

I'm no linguist, so may be wrong, but I thought Theodoric came from the same root as English Theodore, from the Greek "gift of God".
Nope, just a chance resemblance. Theodore comes from a Greek name meaning "given by a god (or by God)."

Nope, just a chance resemblance. Theodore comes from a Greek name meaning "given by a god (or by God)."

Yep, “Gift of God,” is “Godgifu” in Anglo-Saxon. (The original version of Godiva.) The other Germanic languages would be similar in structure. Nowhere close to Theodore.

Coincidentally, two other names from the same root are Théoden ("prince") and Théodred ("people-counsel") from Lord of the Rings, as well as the Rohirrim's own name for themselves: Éothéod ("horse people"). You also find this root very commonly in Celtic, where it is toutā in Gaulish and tuatha in Irish.

TBH I'm so burned out on Civ (I haven't gotten past turn 30 or so in well over a year) and so disenchanted by NFP's low quality (which I expect this patch to continue), I have a hard time getting excited about either. :p Still, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, especially if they nail Lizzy's fiery personality. And make her speak Elizabethan English instead of Cate Blanchett English. :D Not that there's anything wrong with Cate Blanchett English. :mischief: Overall, though, I would much rather have seen Civ7 announced.
Welcome back! - And we are agreed in so much: I haven't even opened Civ VI in over three months and haven't played 20 turns since Humankind and Old World came out. And new Leaders or Civs is cold borscht if the game's mechanics remain the garbage they are at the moment.

As to Nationalism among the German states and peoples, there was no sign of it before the 19th century. Dr. Christopher Duffy, the English expert on European military in the 17th - 18th centuries, in his sociological study of the armies: Experience of War in the Age of Reason, found extensive evidence from contemporary (18th century) sources of real 'National' feeling among French and English common soldiers (not so much among the officers, who tended to have more in common with each other than with their own states) but no evidence at all among any of the soldiers of the German states at the time - and Duffy was fluent in French, German, Russian, and Polish so he could access contemporary records from almost anywhere in Europe.
Even in Prussia, probably the most tightly-organized state anywhere in Europe, nationalism was so thin on the ground that Friedrich II spent more time worrying about his soldiers deserting than he did about fighting his enemies!

When I learned about the leaked content and updates, my mood was actually very complicated. Because when I knew someone was designing Neuschwanstein Castle, it was actually before the Portuguese culture was updated. In China, many people believe that Civilization 6 will not be updated because of some remarks made by Sid in an English interview with Chinese people..

When I learned about the leaked content and updates, my mood was actually very complicated. Because when I knew someone was designing Neuschwanstein Castle, it was actually before the Portuguese culture was updated. In China, many people believe that Civilization 6 will not be updated because of some remarks made by Sid in an English interview with Chinese people..
Really? Do you have a link to that, that seems very interesting.

【【IGN】《文明》系列缔造者席德梅尔专访-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/MyR0Zkv
Really? Do you have a link to that, that seems very interesting.
Sorry, there are no English subtitles, but I believe you can understand English.
For those who do not want to watch the video, the dialogue is as follows.
Are you going to produce the next generation of civilization game?Do you have any thoughts that can be shared about the next game? I would love to tell you what we are working on...But we have an entire marketing department (The following paragraph is translated directly from Chinese subtitles. I can't hear the details.) They want to make beautiful trailers, with stars' voice and ... pictures. The latter is the key point. He said,"They don't wanna me to tell you.They wanna tell you when the time is right"

Welcome back! - And we are agreed in so much: I haven't even opened Civ VI in over three months and haven't played 20 turns since Humankind and Old World came out. And new Leaders or Civs is cold borscht if the game's mechanics remain the garbage they are at the moment.
While that is sad to hear, I do hope you two will stay around for the historical discussions and such. I really enjoy learning the new facts that you two can pull out at any needed time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom