Civilization + MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR united in Civ 5 ?

Mitsarakos

Chieftain
- I am wandering if Civ 5 could be united somehow with the game "Medieval II Total war" and espetially in the City sieges. I mean that there should be a choice for the player to "live" and "direct" a siege or a defence of a city by the same way we have sieges in "Medieval II Total war". Of course, out of a siege the game should be the same as always in civilization. What do you think?

No, Civ 5 will not have any form of "real time tactical combat on a separate battle map".

This is funny, because it has been the dream of every new civ player since STW, and the absolute nightmare of every veteran player :lol:

No thanks. Besides, they would have to make a good AI, otherwise you'd just take nearly every city.

No thanks. Besides, they would have to make a good AI, otherwise you'd just take nearly every city.

Yes and that's much easier said than done. The AI in Empire TW (don't have much experience with the rest) is laughable, leading to a never ending stream of heroic victories for the player even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

Yes and that's much easier said than done. The AI in Empire TW (don't have much experience with the rest) is laughable, leading to a never ending stream of heroic victories for the player even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

Agreed

This is funny, because it has been the dream of every new civ player since STW, and the absolute nightmare of every veteran player :lol:
Since I played civ1 when it first came out on DOS I can claim veteran status over pretty much anyone; hell I even modded civ2; nothing complex just added the 3 new units and techs you could easily add in the civ2 data file which was just a simple text file. Anyway I'm a veteran player, and I've always thought it would be awesome to have TW style battles with a civ style economic engine on the world map. Such a game has the potential to be incredibly epic.

The problem though is implementation. Try to sit down and figure out how to create such a game, I mean it's actual game rules. You quickly realize that it would end up being long, drawn out, and tedious if every single battle were fought on the scale of TW battles: Much like how TW games get tedious. So the implementation is not very straightforward, just in single player. If you think about the nuts and bolts of implementing such a conceptual style game in multiplayer, the problems become nearly impossible to manage. Maybe some day such a game will be made, but it would take alot of work and alot of issues would need smoothing out.

That said the main problem with Civ has always been unit management and the combat system in general. In early civ games all your units on a tile would die if an attacker won; which was incredibly frustrating. It was common for a legion unit to destroy half a dozen tanks in one go; hell a legion attacking a stack of 5 tanks had a 25% chance of killing them all when attacking, if memory serves. Then with civ3 they introduced the Stack of Doom, which is just horrible; it's boring and makes warfare simply tedious and removes any strategic depth from combat in civ4.

Fortunately the designers of civ5 are completely revamping the combat system, and it looks like this portion of the game will now have strategic depth to it after all. With a new combat system that is actually fun and interesting a TW combat model will be far less appealing.

Top Bottom