1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Modding Wiki

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by deanej, Oct 2, 2010.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have a modding wiki here at CFC: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/

We have a reference on XML/SQL and some basic info on the mod programs. I'm hoping to have the reference be more complete (we also have stuff of civ4/3/2). I also feel compelled to mention 2K's wiki: http://wiki.2kgames.com/civ5/index.php/Main_Page

Perhaps a mod can sticky this?

2. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Nice job! :) I'll try to add to it sometime if I get time.

3. ChaK_

ChaK_ Chieftain

YAY for references, thanks !

4. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

Not sure if this is a good place to ask this, but is there, by any chance, an IRC room where any of you hang out?

Sometimes I'd like to ask a really quick, simple question, and then a followup, without making a post, and that would be really cool.

5. DonQuiche

DonQuiche Emperor

Seems like we cannot add anything to the wiki.

I tried to search a page but the results page did not offer any "create this page" link. I tried to modify an existing page but it returned an error:

Code:
    Detected bug in an extension! Hook ConfirmEditHooks::confirmEditMerged failed to return a value; should return true to continue hook processing or false to abort.
    Backtrace:
    #0 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/EditPage.php(940): wfRunHooks('EditFilterMerge...', Array)
    #1 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/EditPage.php(2392): EditPage->internalAttemptSave(false, false)
    #2 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/EditPage.php(453): EditPage->attemptSave()
    #3 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/EditPage.php(346): EditPage->edit()
    #4 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/Wiki.php(505): EditPage->submit()
    #5 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/includes/Wiki.php(63): MediaWiki->performAction(Object(OutputPage), Object(Article), Object(Title), Object(User), Object(WebRequest))
    #6 /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php(114): MediaWiki->initialize(Object(Title), Object(Article), Object(OutputPage), Object(User), Object(WebRequest))
    #7 {main}

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Yes, we have a technical malfunction and the admin who wanted to deal with it was caught by RL issues and isn't back yet :sad:.

7. DonQuiche

DonQuiche Emperor

Ok, thank you for your answer. I will wait. :)

8. The_J

That's nice to hear, thank you :).

But it should be said, we're talking about days (probably), not about hours.
    :(

9. DonQuiche

DonQuiche Emperor

It does not matter, I was afraid it could be "weeks" at first, so... ;)

While the wiki is read-only, I would like to discuss with you what I have in mind, if you don't mind. After the recent shutdown of the official wiki (see here) and since we don't know whether it was deliberate or not, I would like to copy many LUA pages from the official wiki.

Now, if we look at the civ5 portals on the civfanatics' wiki, there is currently a Lua and UI reference (cf wiki) page. I would like to change it in the process.
    * I would like to split this page into a "Lua reference" and a "UI reference".
    * Then make the "Lua reference" page looks like Lua Game Object (2k wiki). The current content of the cf page would be moved to an "articles" section at the top.
    * I won't do much things for the UI side but, at least, I would like to add an introductory article and a list of existing widgets and, for some of them, provide a very short description (Grid, WorldAnchor, etc) and list XML properties and LUA api.

Note that I would not add that much content, I would mainly copy the content from the 2kgames wiki. I want to spend less than 4 hours on it. Are you okay with those changes ?

10. The_J

I'm okay with whatever is best for us ;).
    And i'm also not the main responsible person, deanej is ;).
    Else, if you know about all that stuff, then i'd first trust you that you know what you're doing :).

As general note, if you copy that one page, please make sure to link back (always credit the source), and if possible and if it's not a problem, then add please some custom introduction to that page too.

11. The_J

ainwood fixed the problem now :).

12. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Hi.
    Tried to create an account, but i can't. I get the following error :
    I have more than 8 chars. Are there any undocumented limit at which characters can be used?

Oh, BTW, unrelated to the wiki, but in case a mod reads this. Is there a way to change the user name in the forum? (mine does not match my Steam account, and now that Civ is tied to steam :gripe:)

13. deanej

deanej Deity

It has to be 8 or less; a lot of spammers were creating accounts with really long usernames so we had to restrict it. I'm not sure if I can manually override this or not, but if you PM me the username you wanted I can try.

It's also possible that a spambot randomly created an account with that username... I'm not aware of any other additional restrictions over the mediawiki ones,

14. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Doh, i actually read 8 characters or more :hammer2:
    I think this is the first time i see a limit to the maximum number of characters allowed rather than the minimum.

Yep, smaller user name does work.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer such a stupid post :blush:

EDIT : OTOH, i can't confirm my e-mail. I tried re-sending the confirmation twice, checked my spam folder and white-listed @civfanatics.com but i don't receive it. Does it take a lot of time, the confirmation page says i should wait for a few minutes, i waited for about 1/2 hour.

15. deanej

deanej Deity

I remember we disabled the email confirmation requirement a while back because something broke - not sure if it got re-enabled or not. Can you see if everything works regardless?

16. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

This is what i get if i try to edit a page (i tried a couple different ones, and none were written by DonQuiche's bot)
    My groups are : Autoconfirmed users and Users

17. deanej

deanej Deity

Is it possible to switch to another email address? Sometimes not all email domains receive automated emails. It's possible the message was sent to spam, though some providers just delete without asking or quarantine. Otherwise I can refer this up to an admin.

18. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

I can use various aliases of this adress, but all use the same provider.
    This provider uses a spam folder, and i checked it. It also allows white and black lists for spam filter, and i added the entire @civfanatic.com domain to my white list, so unless verification mails are sent through a 3rd party service, they shouldn't even be tagged as spam. :hmm:

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Which provider are you trying to use? Try a gmail one, that should work.

20. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

My provider is gmx. It's the best free provider i found so far.
    OK, i created a gmail account and was able to use it. I still don't understand why i can't receive confirmation mails on my main address while i do receive the forum notifications and they both use the same "from" address :think: