1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Online

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by ainwood, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

What do you get if you cross Sid Meier's Civilization Franchise with the thousands of people on the internet? No, not your standard Civ 5 (or 4, or 3 or 2 or even Civnet) multiplayer game. You get a MMORPG called "Civilization Online"

Apparently "it is happening", and while it doesn't have Sid Meier's name attached to it, it apparently takes inspiration from the series. It is being developed by XL Games, in South Korea. At present, it is not planned for release in North America, so unlikely that other places outside South Korea will get it, either (well, they probably will but South Korea will be the first release point).

Anyway - read a preview of it here, or sit back and watch the trailor:

Link to video.

Finally, thanks to those that alerted us to this announcement - took us a while to get around to posting it!

2. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Now that sounds VERY interesting.

3. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

yeah, no. Civilization is a fundamentally single player game. you cant change the rules like that.

4. Razonatair

Razonatair Chieftain

I don't see a problem with it. Done well, using proper inspiration, it could be a good game. Clearly it is not Sid Meier's Civilization, but those are strategy games. This seems more of a general game mimicking civilization as a whole.

5. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Errr.... no.. first of all, Civ has so many multiplayer games which makes your point invalid.

second of all, this isn't Civ 5 turned online, it's a COMPLETELY different game that uses the basis of "Civilization", or an idea of a world advancing through ages via whatever mechanics they choose to implement.

It is an original idea and quite frankly am fascinated, but seeing as it's focused on Asian market and the fact that I'm not as big of a fan on MMORPGs anymore not my type of game.

6. subanark

subanark Warlord

If they do it like Eve online it might work, but I fear that if the season lengths are even somewhat long (more than a month) then it might be the case that the victor of a season could be determined far before the game actually ends. Taking over cities would probably have to be mostly done by NPCs (where players can help out) to avoid issues where one side doesn't have a chance to respond due to time differences of when people play.

7. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Will it be free-to-play or will it requires a subscription?

If it is free-to-play, will it be pay-to-win or are only vanities can be purchased with real money?

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Yeah... this is going to be bad. Being made by a South Korean developer is a death blow alone.

9. Zipa_DH

Zipa_DH Zipa of Bacata

It looks more like a asian expansion for Age of Empires Online. That cartoony style is becoming too common in mmo games. However, I think could be interesting try this

10. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

I saw the more detailed description on PC Gamer, and thought; "wow, I would >really< like to play that game" Its definitely an interesting concept on what an MMO is

11. Pikkis

Pikkis Prince

With the game differing so much from the basic concept, it seems the naming is only justified by marketing value. Also, XL Games doesn't have a track record that would convince of the game's quality. Quite skeptical and not that excited.