1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization pick

Discussion in 'Civ5 - ISDG' started by KiffeLesBiffles, Dec 8, 2012.

1. KiffeLesBiffles

KiffeLesBiffles Do you like dogs?

Show all !
    Please Mr J, Can you randomize the turn order and the team that play 1st?
    THX

2. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

That would be me. I was saying that knowing the picks would give us information into other team's potential strategies.

On the other hand, everyone gets this advantage, it is simply up to the players to use it. So in the end at least it is fair espionage! :lol:

So yeah, go ahead and release it. And I certainly think we should know which team is which civ, since we will know in-game anyway right? I'd like to know who to contact for diplomacy...

3. Prince_Ralfi

Prince_Ralfi Chieftain

Good news ... by the expression in your post, i assume that the pick is clear and we don't have to redo lists and so on.
    Can't wait to see the results.

Is it possible to create a steam account without any game purchased? We'd like to create a forum account where our group of turn players have access to the GMR. How do you organize this? Or do all of you have just one turn player which is always on?

4. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Yes, you can create Steam account with no games, and you can use that to log into and download the game from GMR. At least I think so.

I think what the CFC team is doing is having one consistent player upload the save to a central repository for our team, from which we download and look at the game.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

So, since Prince_Ralfi did not express any objections, I assume everyone is okay with publishing the results.

The picks are:
    civ.org.pl: Egypt
    civforum.de: Maya
    CFC: Inca
    civfr.com: Rome

The original lists:
    Spoiler :

So, now I hope that the everyone will create some nice RPG presentation thread for their team ;).

For the turn order...uh...I'd rather let this someone decide, who has a bit experience with MP.
    Since I'm also not the final referee, I'd not really like to get involved in that, and would wait til a final referee is found.
    -> guess it's time in the next days to put up a main site announcement about the ISDG, including a call for participants.

6. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

As with all turn based games, the player who goes first has a SLIGHT advantage. Anything produced on the same turn will go to the earlier players first. Wonders, the key unit required to bully a CS or defend a city, grabbing ruins, finding CS first for the extra gold, El Dorado, settling competing cities, getting first action after the barbs, buying/spreading to tiles, map generator choosing who goes where (bias trumps civ order, but civ order still matters), all are potentially important enough to win games, but cannot be helped.

So there are really 2 options as far as I can tell. Either try and minimize this advantage by randomizing the turn order, or ignore the (hopefully minimal) turn advantage and order us logically based upon our timezones (to slightly speed up play, as people should receive the turn the same day rather than overnight while asleep), with the first player chosen at random.

Any opinions? I doubt it will matter much either way, so I think the compromise of practicality and fairness is the best way to go, and we should go off of timezones. If possible of course, as the forum-goers may come from very diverse locales, and it may be a pain to determine the best plan anyway.

If we were to do timezones, we should probably base it off of the timezone/checking time of the actual turn players with the logins to GMR. Those that will see the game first and take pictures/share the save with others.

7. Prince_Ralfi

Prince_Ralfi Chieftain

I personally don't mind the "advantage" of the first player. (but i will check in my team) It is pretty slight. Is it possiple to change turn order during a game???
    For the time zone i guess we have 3 players located in the same zone right? French, polish and germans share GMT+1. Where is the CFC team located? UK/USA?
    Lets just roll the dice for positions and it'll be fine. Much more important is a balanced map that doesn't provide to much advantage like closer CS, much more lux/strat ressources, somone trapped on an island or more ruins ...
    Anyone got an idea for a neutral map generator ... maybe we could ask 2K?

8. donald23

donald23 Warlord

We could randomize the start player and then make the others follow the timezones after that. Both randomization and efficiency ;)

9. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

:lol:
    Where is my 'special randomizer' again? :mischief:

10. Onan

Onan Dad

It's on Google. Or a 4-sided dice. :)

The_J raises an important point: we need some kind of overall moderator / ref to set up the game and potentially play a role in any disputes that arise between teams.

Kiffe, who shall we ask? Maybe an admin from a neutral site, if there is one that would be very reliable? I'm sure we could trust a CFC Admin to take it on in an unbiased way...but I understand if other teams don't share this view.

11. The_J

I think the last ISDGs always had one referee per site. So if there's someone from every site...

12. Onan

Onan Dad

Makes sense. Could you put the word out amongst the admins here? Perhaps one is keen to take on the role.

13. The_J

Doesn't have to be an admin, can be a normal user ;) (and I'm sure our admins are way to busy, and not sure about the other moderators).

14. Onan

Onan Dad

It strikes me that if you have one ref per site, you don't have a ref, but a group that has to discuss any important decisions...or argue a lot!

It still leaves unanswered the question of who will set the game up.

15. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

We cannot change turn order during a game.

CFC is from all over the world I think, though most are native English speakers. There are many that are not though, and I know we have team members for whom English is not their first language.

I thought Poland was in a different timezone from Germany/France? Or maybe its east of Poland is the other timezone, I don't live in Europe lol sorry.

Having a ref from every site would serve the same purpose as just having us moderate amongst ourselves wouldn't it? The only difference would be that they do not have biased facts from playing the game (though they could have "bias" opinions about who should win disuptes).

Personally, I trust everyone, including the players, to have the capability to be a referee. Since a council of people should always come up with fairer and more thoughtful responses than any individual, we should probably try to find one per site.

16. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

If we're going with a council of referees, I'd suggest one representative of each team (a bit UN-wise) with one 'outside' referee added to make it an uneven numbered group to have a decisive vote.