1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization-poll 12-06-2015

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Funak, Jun 12, 2015.

?

Which civilization to to rework/adjust.

1. American

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Austrian

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Brazilian

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Carthaginian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Celtic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Danish

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Dutch

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Egyptian

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. English

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  10. Greek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Indonesian

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  12. Japanese

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  13. Korean

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  14. Mayan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Mongolian

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  16. Ottoman

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  17. Polish

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  18. Polynesian

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  19. Portuguese

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  20. Roman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Shoshone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Siamese

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  23. Songhai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Swedish

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  25. None of the above

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Funak

Funak Deity

The only thing I'd change about the Ottomans right now is that I'd make the yields received scale off something instead of just being flat (I know they scale with eras, but they are still scaled flat yields, if that makes any sense). However I have no clue how to do such a thing, but it would probably make a lot of the existing flat yield UAs more fun.
    Maybe somehow compensate for how much longer 30 turns is in the late-game compared to the early-game. But again no clue how to do this.

Other than that I really like the Ottomans.

2. hokath

hokath King

I'm being a bit of an armchair critic. I guess I really associate the juiciest trade routes with being at peace, but the UU/UB scream war. I'll have to try them :)

3. DLimited

DLimited Warlord

I just really dislike non-internal trade route bonuses, because it gives other players extra incentive to go after your trade routes. In a multiplayer game, if one of the players furthest from you wants to be a dick and pillages all your trade routes with a Scout/Horseman/whatever, there's nothing you can do about it - congratulations, you don't get to use your UA, good luck and have fun.

4. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

So it's a fault of trade routes if a player decides to be a dick?

5. Funak

Funak Deity

I haven't actually tried it, but the Ottoman UA works on internal trade-routes as well, doesn't it?

I think the issue is that it makes the UA close to worthless in multiplayer.

6. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

Most of non-poland UAs are worthless in multiplayer.

7. DLimited

DLimited Warlord

Now that's downright false :p
    Actually almost all of the CBP civ UA are useful, flavorful and still good in multiplayer.

There's plenty of UA that are still good in multiplayer. Anything that involves other players, however, needs to have some kind of upside for them as well; people won't make you stronger for no reason. On the flip side, the more of your bonuses depend on them, the more incentive they have to specifically not help you out. Sweden's BNW UA worked because it had an upside for every friendship partner, so that (ideally) everyone needed to have a Declaration of Friendship with Sweden to stay on even footing (and Sweden reaped the cumulative benefits).

8. Opera

Opera Deity

Another point regarding Byzantium: their UA is basically 2 one-hit items. It's great getting another belief and a free prophet but once you got them, you've basically nothing UA related to do anymore. Yes, you have your fancy religion but this isn't the same as other civs whose UA keeps being relevant throughout the game.

I'm sure they could get a UA that's very much more involved and interesting. They're Byzantium, I'm sure there's enough matter there to find something else.

9. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Considering how much stronger most beliefs are in CBP, you essentially get to create your own UA in game.

G

10. Funak

Funak Deity

They just suffer from the same problem that all other heavy religion focused civs (Spain, India) do, that if they don't get a religion their UA is pretty much useless. Unlike Spain and India however Byzantine got nothing helping them get a religion up besides their unique temple which comes so late now with all the tech-increases that it might not actually help.
    Don't mistake this for actual complaints, I'm just trying to make sense of it all. Byzantium at the moment is in a really powerful spot assuming you can manage to get a religion up, and human players usually find a way. However just like with India and Spain the AI tend to fail at that department and you end up with an extremely underpowered AI.

11. frutiemax

frutiemax Chieftain