1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Revolution (for consoles)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by chopstyx, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Algan

Algan Insert witty phrase here

Game spot posted an interview with Sid Meier.

Sigh... It is dumbed down with shorter games and smaller maps.

2. GROZA

GROZA Chieftain

From what I read, average games are about three hours, so it's not that short. I do agree with you on the dumbed down thing. I personally would never by this game for anything but the Wii.(And I don't have one) I think the game will be ok, but for the hardcore mental players who have mastered the art of the deity space race, not so much. I think some people have been getting a little uptight about the dumbed down thing. Beyond the sword will be a great game for several years at least. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Firaxis is simply targeting new customers.

3. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

It does look different to Civ4, but that's not a bad thing. New games must be targeted to certain people to make them sell, and this is probably not targeted fully towards hardcore Civ4 fans. Civ4 and BtS will be fun for years to come anyway. I don't think I would enjoy Civ Rev as much as I do Civ4, but then that's OK cause I don't have a games console (I am PC person :) ).

I was thinking; imagine being able to fight as a swordsman, rifleman, etc on the Wii !! That would certainly be interesting.

4. Algan

Well, I'll probably still buy it. All the old staples are here (wonders, tech tree, etc.), it's just smaller games.

5. Chaos_BF1942

Chaos_BF1942 Prince

I am watching something on Gamespot about it. It looks pretty good. They are showing it on the 360 or PS3.

I may check those out, But I will have to get the DS one. I been waiting for a Civ on the DS for a while.

6. Saim

Saim King

I'll look at the proffesional reviews and then the IGN reader reviews, then make my decision.

7. Algan

A video interview of Barry is on Gamespot. This game looks nice.

In the video you can see

-A New Great Person called the Great Leader. Can convert to Great General
    -The Pyramids make temples 50% more effective
    -Bronze working allows phalanx and barracks to be built and allow fish to be gathered (+2 food)
    -Units upgrade quickly
    -The game has a lot of humor

Edit: Another video interview, this time it's Sid.

8. the Intricacy

the Intricacy Khaaaaaaaaaan!

so... i wonder if civfanatics.com is a little annoyed with Sid cribbing their GotM idea?

Boo on the 4 player MP cap! I think the ideal games I've played in Civ 4 were 3v3s... There's something really problematic depending on ONE partner when you don't know how good they are. Certainly helps to have an odd number on your team so that there's a majority vote on decisions too.

I noticed in the gamespot interview, they were very careful to not promise the EXACT same game between platforms. Personally, I have conflicting opinions on this, for on one hand I think it would be AWESOME to have a cross platform game that MP worked on (I guess servers would be problematic, at the least). So I could be playing my buddy on a Xbox, while s/he is playing on a DS somewhere in a park (or take my same game on the go). While on the other hand, I distain simple ports to consoles that don't utilize their capacities to the fullest (control or graphics, especially for the Wii). But I dunno, I think a cross platform GotW, at least, would be awesome.

Civ lite? Bring it! Civ on the subway/park? AWESOME.

I wonder exactly how the game compresses to that length? IMO, in civ IV, early eras are more fun because of the relatively low unit count, and the shorter turns, and to be honest, and even a minute tech disparity in late game does not create much incentive for players who are losing to stick it out (hence, "victory by being the last playing" is the most common outcome in MP.) What I'm trying to say is that in order to make the game work in a tighter time frame, I suspect that paradoxically:

1) the unit count will have to lower.
    2) Obsolete units will have to compete better with advanced units.
    3) The incentive to lead in tech needs to stay the same.

How that works out, while presumingly having a fast tech tree stretches my imagination, but hopefully better minds will prevail.

(edit)
    Also, is it me, or does it seem like the main concept of this game is "Civ-without-the-city-screen?"

9. XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe Warlord

I don't see anywhere that it is going to be offered for the DS, or I would buy a DS so fast it would make heads spin!!!

10. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

The best Civ would probably be the one that allows you to do the things you see in the CG movies. Like the one that is being shown for Civ Revolution.

I'm also glad to hear the shortening of games since I never really liked games that lasted for more than one day.
    It's coming out for Wii!! GO WII!!!

11. Da_V_Man

Da_V_Man Chock full of V goodness

The nice thing about console games is that I don't have to worry how terribly it will run on the sytem. Civ on the Ds would just be Superfly!

12. the Intricacy

ya. I want that DS version. NOW!~

13. lucky326

lucky326 Chieftain

I remember watching Gamespot showing the 360 version I think, and the rep said they were planning on having the DS version gameplay similar to the consoles. I hope the DS version does go online using WiFi, Now that would rule.

14. qwert

qwert Warlord

the Gamespot video is quite interesting. It seems that ships will be able to support land troops attacking the coast.

15. XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe Warlord

I don't see anything graphically that really requires "next gen" consoles, it's too bad this won't be coming out for the GameCube, PS2 or XBox.

16. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

I've been thinking about this too. Of course, the disappointing part will be that they will cut some parts of the game that PC gamers love.

But when I look at the demo, I get a few ideas... what if they streamlined combat into a stacked combat system? I think that would give you equal strategy, but faster gameplay: instead of thinking about combat order, you think about stack composition, and let the stack fall where it may.

There's lots of ways to speed up the game without losing a lot. And those are efficiencies they can use in Civ 5, when they hopefully reintroduce other things that PC gamers love.

17. Saim

Saim King

Why would they want to do that? As more people migrate to the next generation, the more money next-gen games make. In fact, it's not even next-gen anymore.

ITS CURRENT-GEN. Why would you want to make games for last-gen?

18. the Intricacy

On THAT topic, suppose civ revolution proves to be popular... I bet revolution BECOMES the core engine of civ 5, only with civ 5 offering greater capacity of customization (city tile working, etc.). Remember, this is the first Civ that Sid is directing since Civ II. That's probably going to count for something.

19. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

Actually since Civ 1. Brian Reynolds did Civ 2. And I don't know if they'd want to use Revolution for Civ 5. After all, Revolution is "designed for" consoles. Seems more likely they'd use Civ 4.

20. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

I suspect they'd use Revolution because they're doing some higher definition graphics. But what they'd add to it is a bit more detail in the gameplay, and a hand full of additional leaders, units, and wonders.

I suspect Sid's version will be more western-centric, like the original Civilization. Expect the Zulus to replace Mali. Heck, maybe expect no African civilizations at all. Civ 1 was probably the worst for that, and it was all Sid. Probably because Sid is from an older, less multicultural generation. All he'd know of Africa is some stuff about Shaka Zulu in a movie he once saw.