Civilization Revolution (for consoles)

Now I REALLY hope that it is a spinoff game.

Well it already has a subtitle. I really doubt that Firaxis is stupid enough to try and pass a ported console game as Civ V.

Oh, please lay off the "dumbed down" remarks about console games. I am not about to buy a console, I like my PC just fine, but I don't enjoy the snobbery that PC gamers sometimes indulge in.

Agreed, but it's the way the article is worded that makes me worry this will be much like Railroads. Oh well, as long as either

1) Not all future Civ titles are like that, or

2) It's not as dumbed down as Railroads was,

I'll be happy.

Like it or not, many console games ARE dumbed down.
Is it because consoles aren't capable of complex games? Of course not, look at Japanese console games.
The real reason is that console publishers are all made up of brainless morons in suits who think that the only market they need to appeal to is the console kid with the low attention span and thus they demand that developers make games for this demographic - the lowest common denominator.

This is beginning to affect the PC market too, and won't end until something drastic happens that ends up in all of these fools out of a job and scrubbing human waste off of sewer walls like they should have been doing all along.
No, I don't like publishers.

It depends on the game, really.

Games like Halo, for example, are awesome when played on Consoles. The PC's controls are too numerous and such for such a simple game. I have played Halo on a friend's xbox, and enjoyed it, whereas I find such games on the PC boring beyond belief.

At the same time, the thing that makes such games on Consoles good is the same thing that makes a deep game like Civ impossible to recreate on the console. Being on a console means it will be dumbed down, simply because console controls don't allow for a game similar to the current Civ.

They're completely different platforms good for completely different things, in my opinion.

It depends on the game, really.

Games like Halo, for example, are awesome when played on Consoles. The PC's controls are too numerous and such for such a simple game. I have played Halo on a friend's xbox, and enjoyed it, whereas I find such games on the PC boring beyond belief.

At the same time, the thing that makes such games on Consoles good is the same thing that makes a deep game like Civ impossible to recreate on the console. Being on a console means it will be dumbed down, simply because console controls don't allow for a game similar to the current Civ.

They're completely different platforms good for completely different things, in my opinion.

I don't get how you think FPS games on PC are boring. Maybe its that I'm not used to the console controller.

I wouldn't say FPS's on PC are boring. I don't think GenocideBringer meant that also. It's just the controls are screwy. if I want to spin in a circle for some reason, I have to move the mouse left, lift my hand and the mouse back to the right, then drag it back left, lift your hand and the mouse, and so on and so on.
On Xbox, push the thumbstick left, and hold it there. Additionally, movement doesn't require 4 fingers, just a thumb. It also, IMO counts for alot having you hands in a symetrical pattern.

LThumb - movement. (also located near 4 buttons for additional 'hotkeys')
LFinger - always on a trigger.
RThumb - look control. (also located near 4 buttons for additional 'hotkeys')
RFinger - always on a trigger.

To me, this makes the control much easier than:
1 hand - mouse - look control, trigger for up to 3 weapons and possible auto-run.
2nd Hand - keyboard - usually occupying 4 fingers by [W],[A],, and [D]. Thumb usually holding on [Space] for jump. Sometime [Q] and [E] or [Z] and [C] added in for strafe. then hotkeys along the top bar. (And I don't know how many times I have hit the wrong hotkeys for weapons and skill swaps in the middle of a match and it screwed me.

And that is the PC setup I prefer when playing combat games on PC because I find it easiest. I plan on getting a couple PC FPS, there are a couple I have been looking at. But I honestly will be buying a Xbox style controller before purchasing them. (Like Battlefield 2142)

However, my two favorite FPS to play currently are Ghost Recon and Halo. Both on Xbox. I haven't ever been tempted to buy either for PC. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen Ghost Recon on PC. (Other than Advanced Warfighter, but I don't care for that one.)

People who want to play quick and simple games might actually be the smart ones. How intelligent is it to spend 7 hours playing a multiplayer game from start to end?

People who want to play quick and simple games might actually be the smart ones. How intelligent is it to spend 7 hours playing a multiplayer game from start to end?

Apparently you've never heard of hobbies. Or breaks for that matter.

Using your logic, someone who watches a mindless action movie for an hour and a half is smarter than someone who reads War & Peace.

My hopes for this game are very, very low. I just want them to not . .. .. .. . up Civ V

i agree with whathisname :mischief: sid seems to have lost his touch. I think Civ4 used up all his gamemaking power.

Has Sid even been directly involved in any Civ apart from the first?
From what I've read they've been other people's projects.

the only console i could see this working for out of the box is the wii, and thats jsut because they got the pointer. Even then it be crappy. IF u hook a keyboard and mouse up then any console would run it fine.

Same for Civ 3 IIRC. I think Evil Twin has it right though. I think 1 was the only one he really participated in. The reason it is called 'sid meier's' is because he is the creator of the game title and he put his name on the title. "Sid Meier's" is half of the title. I believe it is also part of the title to SMAC. Otherwise, people would just call it AC. But I ain't positive on that one. But on part 1 of Civ, even in the menu screen it says "Sid Meier's Civilization". He doesn't ever have to work on another incarnation of Civ and have his name tagged on to every one of them in the game title itself. He will just have one spot in the credits and that is creator.

Apparently you've never heard of hobbies. Or breaks for that matter.

Using your logic, someone who watches a mindless action movie for an hour and a half is smarter than someone who reads War & Peace.

You can't take a break during a multiplayer game. That's the problem. If someone says "I've gotta go eat dinner", you pretty much never see them again...

You can't build a successful multiplayer franchise on that. And successful multiplayer seems to be more and more necessary to bring sales up, attract new players, and even fight piracy.

You gotta understand this is bigger than what you or I want. It's a business.

^He's right. It's a business. There wouldn't be any Firaxis Games: Sid Meier's Civilization if they didn't make enough money off of it. These games are some peoples ways of making a living. They don't make the games just to please the fans.

Yay!

I think the controller config will be like this:

Left Analog: Move pointer (stays in the middle of the screen)
Right Analog: Select buttons in menu

The rest are probably just for selecting or shortcuts or other.

I think its a good idea, if only to open civ up to another audience. I got into the franchise with CivII on the playstation some years ago. I never played CivII on the computer, but by the time CivIII came out I was already a bone-fide fan.

It will probably be a simpler iteration of the franchise I'd guess, but a good primer for newer players.

^He's right. It's a business. There wouldn't be any Firaxis Games: Sid Meier's Civilization if they didn't make enough money off of it. These games are some peoples ways of making a living. They don't make the games just to please the fans.

Usually the two go hand in hand, dutchking.

Top Bottom