Civilization runs unplayably slow...

thecaesar

Will appear randomly
Okay, so here's the story. I've played Civ IV on my laptop tons before, it always worked just fine. Just a few weeks ago, my hard drive got corrupted, so I went and bought a new one, installed Windows 7 on it, and got my laptop working again. No big problem, I thought.

So then, I install Civ IV on it. Everything installs as per normal (I've installed it a lot of times on this and other computers, so I know how it works pretty well.) I install BTS and the latest patch, as well, 3.19. I launch the game, everything runs fine, no errors or anything. The title screen works just fine, and so does the game setup. The map and game loads like normal...but when it finishes loading and starts the game, EVERYTHING slows down.

The animation lags and becomes very jerky and such, anything I click on takes at least 4 seconds to respond, even closing the game takes longer than it should. I have tried a lot of things, like lowering the graphics settings to the lowest quality possible, on both my computer and on the game, and I checked the CPU usage and available RAM while the game was running, and it wasn't abnormally high.

Can somebody please tell me what is wrong here?! I suspect it might have something to do with the new hard drive, but I haven't the slightest idea why. It's the same type of hard drive that was in the computer before, and it always worked fine then...and everything else works fine on my computer too. Nothing else is slow. Just Civ. And I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, that didn't help. And it happens for all versions of Civ: Civ IV vanilla unpatched and patched, and BTS unpatched and patched.

No expert, but my guess is that it may have to due with the GPU/drivers. Did you update to the latest drivers for you GPU after installing the hard drive?

Also, make sure that certain process are not running in the background. After having to reinstall everything you may have left some auto-process active like, for instance, anti-virus scans or windows updates. You don't those running during peak hours. I've actually seen your issue happen to me temporarily on occasion only to find that something was running in the background.

(Note: I would not classify this as a "bug" but rather a technical issues more suited for the Technical Forum. )

Top Bottom