Civilization - The Board Game anyone?

Dantius

Chieftain
I was wondering - has anybody here played it with a group of people, or know a site where you could possibly play it online with a few other people who own it?

I actually own the game, but nobody who I know would possibly learn the rules or play it with me. So I was wondering if anybody here knew a site where people played by e-mail or something. Or, if such a site didn't exist, if a few guys here own the game and would like to play against me.

Originally posted by Dantius
I was wondering - has anybody here played it with a group of people, or know a site where you could possibly play it online with a few other people who own it?

I actually own the game, but nobody who I know would possibly learn the rules or play it with me. So I was wondering if anybody here knew a site where people played by e-mail or something. Or, if such a site didn't exist, if a few guys here own the game and would like to play against me.
I have played it a few times with a group of experienced board gamers, but cannot otherwise help you.

The game looks nice enough, but isn't a bery good board game. The original Civilization board game, especially with the Advanced Civilization expansion is a far superior game. That's the game you should look out for...

I havent played the Civ board game, but it sounds pretty cool. Now I want one. The only thing is, if my memory serves me correct from 14 years of Axis and Allies board play is that it would be a very long game indeed. I recall having to put the board safe away with all the pieces on till the next week when everyone would come back a week or a few days later to play.

Played it once. Well started. It kinda sucked so we went back to Risk 2210. Now THAT is a board game.

Settlers of Catan is the game:king:

Originally posted by Tathlum
Played it once. Well started. It kinda sucked so we went back to Risk 2210. Now THAT is a board game.

I never played Risk 2210, is it much better than the original Risk?

Actually yes....
You have 5 types of leader and sea and moon colonies add depth and the fact that 4 random areas start off nuked meaning the board is different each game. Used to love Risk but havent played it since.
Seriously I cant recomend this game enough.

Responding to the original poster's question, I've played it a couple times before. Ironically, I played the board game BEFORE I got the computer game - I got so frustrated with its ridiculously unbalanced starts that I figured the computer HAD to be better. (Best idea ever! :love: )

It take a really long time to play (8 hours of one game, and we were just barely finishing up the middle ages :rolleyes: ) and it can be hard to keep track of the pieces (4 ages of infantry, horsemen, artillery, and naval units), but if you're willing to stick it out or play it over a few days, it can be really fun. I'd recommend going to Board Game Geek and printing off some of their rules variations.

If you don't do that, at least get rid of the dot tiles! Nothing is worse than randomly distributing and discovering you're on a continent with no resources and your opponent gets monopolies on wines and gems, for instance. You can't trade unless the two cities are bordering each other, and the resources you control dramatically affects the amount of gold per turn, which of course affects the units you build, techs you research, etc. Example: Last game I played I had one resource (horses) and one of my opponents had four wines and one of everything else. He got about 80 gold per turn and I got 10 per turn. He was building his army quickly and researching the techs that caused everyone to pay him the money to build up their armies, and I was lucky if I could spit a single spearman per turn!! :mad: At least in the computer game you can produce stuff even if you have no resources.

Sorry for the long rant - I hope it was helpful.

Top Bottom