1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization: The Board Game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Terefor, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Terefor

Terefor Chieftain

2. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

3. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

I bought the Civ III board game, man o man we played that game once.... :(

4. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

Board Game Geeks is a good resource for opinions/info. It looks to be pretty long (5-6 hours) for a full 4 player game, and to have a lot of the basic mechanics (you won't be able to do the really elaborate stuff, but you do have a modular map and a lot of player interaction.) Moderate reviews for the genre, which isn't usually a great sign for board games. The 2002 game wasn't that great, which is another caution. Board games based on video games usually aren't.

However I'd trust the BGG crowd: I tend to like games that they've really liked, and I typically see the problems in the ones that they don't. One exception is that they do have a strong eurogamer bias there (in favor of short, abstract, and competitive games.)

The original Avalon Hill Advanced Civilization was a great board game for its era, arguably inspiring the Civ computer game series, but it's long out of print.

5. shozum

shozum Chieftain

Yeah, the last Civ board game I purchased had some um...very open rules that weren't defined very well at all. We ended up having to make like 30 house rules just to finish a game and the games lasted HOURS upon HOURS with more than 3 people. I always thought Monopoly with a few good players was too long for a board game but then I purchased Civ lol. To this day my wife refuses to play it again. I am hoping this new incarnation resolves some of these issues.

6. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Yes board game adaptations of video games suffer from the reverse of video game adaptations of board games. Video games tend to be more complex and calculation-dependent while board games tend to simple, fairly open rulesets.

This is natural because in a video game, the machine enforces the rules, so you can get away with making them a lot more complex without running a risk of players forgetting half of them all the time. In board games, you don't have tooltips, so you either have to create simple rules or realize the game with cards as game pieces that tell you what they do (like in trading card games).

Also, for strategy games, most video games take significantly longer than board games should. It's normally fine or even desirable for a (SP) video game to take 20 hours or more. It's very problematic if a board game takes significantly more than 2 hours and a killing factor for everyone but the most hard-core gamers if it takes more than 6.

7. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

I don't get it. Why not just play the actual game? What advantage does the board game have over the actual games? Besides not requiring a computer?

8. atteSmythe

atteSmythe Warlord

Hotseat :lol:

9. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

For some people playing board games against human opponents they can actually see and talk to has more fascination than playing behind a screen against random strangers on the internet or a non-competitive AI. It's more social, somehow.

10. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

Am I the only one who remembers that Civ started as a board game? The original computer game was an adaptation of it. We used to play the board game in college. "Hey I got two leathers here for a sheep!"

11. kelemvor

kelemvor Chieftain

The banter and socializing that takes place in a heated board game is a different experience than playing Civ online. Its not like the board game is a replacement to what is essentially a 1-player game on the computer.

For example, I have some fond memories of late night games of Axis and Allies or Risk in college. Some of those memories involved fights, heated arguments, drunken rants, secret alliances, tears of defeat, screams of victory.... Again, those experiences don't come from online play.

12. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

There are still a vast number of people who wouldnt be seen dead trying to play a Video Game, the majority of the overall PC Ownership frankly - we do tend to forget that our gaming passion is not necessarily shared by the rest of the Planet :)

Regards
    Zy

13. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

Except that it has already been confirmed that Hotseat is coming via patch, so none of this is really all that valid. The only advantage the board game has that I can think of is that its easier to gather around it then a PC.

14. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

Essentially, boardgames let you share your game with friends and compete with/against them. Human opponents are more fun. If they're not fun you need new friends.

15. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

How are you not playing with human players with Hotseat?

16. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

Cat-using-computer.jpg

17. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Hotseat still doesn't resolve the game taking a million hours of time... seriously, if you want to play a full game of Civ5 with more than 2 players in hotseat you guys better have a week off. To be honest I don't get why you are interested in posting in this thread at all? If you don't like board games, that's fine, but there are people who do. Why not let us have a little discussion about a board game in peace? It's not much more off-topic than some of the very tangential threads in this forum, and is certainly more fun than another rant thread :p

18. Threedog43

Threedog43 Warlord

Here is a link to a dos version courtesy of Home of the Underdogs: Adcanced Civilizations. (Contrary to the site's claim, it can be run outside of pure dos.)

19. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Everyone should check out a game called Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. It's based off of Civilization and is one of the top 5 rated games on BoardGameGeek and it feels very much like you're playing the actual computer game only in boardgame form.

A slight drawback is that it can take 3-4 hours to play a game, but that being said, it's very rewarding.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25613/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization

20. ezwip

ezwip Prince

I went into the forum for the board game and it didn't exactly inspire confidence. It looks like most everyone is confused by the rules.