1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization: The Board Game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Terefor, Nov 22, 2010.

1. neptune2000

neptune2000 Warlord

This thread is making me teary-eyed. I still have the original Avalon Hill Civilization as well as the original Cosmic Encounter and the expansion(s?) Haven't played either in years.

Board games can be so much fun, especially if you play one that lends itself to lively conversation/trash talking. Hell I played Sorry! a while back with some friends and their kids and had a blast. This Civ game sounds interesting. I have a group of friends that plays Robo Rally, which is a great game to play with beer and taunts, but I couldn't get them to try Arkham Horror (I haven't played it either, but I'm a big HPL fan and heard it's great). I doubt they'd want to try this.

2. charon2112

charon2112 King

I just picked up Arkham Horror, and it seems terrific...I haven't played yet though. Something that caught my eye on the box was that the game is designed for 1 to 8 players...yup, you can play it by yourself if no one else is around. Also, it's co-operative, so the players aren't competing, but are working together to prevent an 'ancient one' from awakening and destroying the world.

I'm also an HPL fan, I'm from the area where a bunch of his stories took place, and it's always cool to see these little towns named in such famous stories.

3. Harald

Harald Prince

I would really recommend Arkham Horror, it's a really interesting game in which you really need to cooperate allot to be successful. Even though it sometimes can be close to impossible to win. First game I played we drew the ancient one that enters the game the fastest and then more or less every event speeded up his coming. We lost in about a half an hour. :p

OT: Has anyone played CIV:TBG and can recommend it? I have watched the videos on boardgamegeeks and it seem interesting.

4. krunsh

krunsh Prince

I have the game and finaly had the chance to play two game in two weeks (1 vs 1 with the same friend.) haven't finished a game yet but was a lot of fun. I think it takes at least two game to get confortable with all the rules but when you get a good flow it's very good.

1 vs 1 is fun but I can't wait to try it with 3 player, must add a lot of diplomacy (and war) to the mix.

Overall it's a ''complicated casual'' game, it's not heavy on numbers and much better than the last one but still has a lot of rules to learn before you can actualy play and focus on strategy.

Also it's quite long, just setting up the game will take you some times so you should expect at least 3 hours for a two player game when you are not very familiar with the rules yet.

5. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

It's on our Christmas list. Now hoping for Santa to think we've been good enough this year. :)

6. Mathochism

Mathochism Chieftain

Eh, Cosmic's not that great until you've got five people, at least.

Once you hit five, though, it's friggin' awesome.

Anyhoo, If you want a deep strategy game that takes less three hours or less, I recommend Caylus. If I can find people to play, there's no game I'd rather play in any gaming medium.

7. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Does anyone know if its Steam activated? :)
    Absolutely love the Avalon Hill incarnation, and Settlers as well. Fortunately my wife has gotten hooked on Settlers and other board games, and we have plenty of like-minded friends

8. rastak

rastak Emperor

I have it. Played a 2 player game last Friday and had a great time. I think I like Through The Ages a little more but we had a great time.

My buddy and I played videogames on game night for many many years (like over 20, starting in 1985) but we switched to board games a couple of years ago. You can finish a damn game in a night rather than save and TRY and remember everything that was going on when you quit the week before after 6 or 7 beers.

9. stormerne

Have to disagree with that. Four is the ideal number. Three people are always on the look-out for a fourth for the extra complexity. With five people and good players, there's always a chance the last person may not get a turn before the game's over.

The secret with Cosmic Encounter with players of mixed abilities is to keep on adding complexity until the most experienced can no longer manage to keep it all in their head at one time!

10. stormerne

OK, so I got the Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. Looks like it was popular as it's already gone out of stock!

First impressions:
    • Very well constructed.
    • Beautiful artwork.
    • Lots of "bits" - we've now got most of them organized into clear plastic compartmented boxes.
    • Most game concepts seem to balance and integrate very well.
    • Combat may be a little over-complicated.
    • Military figures vs. military units will confuse some people at first.
    • Steep learning curve for the game as a whole (but worth it!).
    • Set-up time can be slow first time till you're organized (with the Plano boxes)
    • Recommended first game is a half-finished learning game (minus Egypt, Rome and wonders).
    • It gets better the more you play it.
    • Once players have gone through the learning curve, a game in an evening is quite achievable.
    • Now I'm happy with the mechanics, I'm already trying to think of possible best strategies.

I guess if anyone who's thinking of getting the game has questions, I can try and answer. And if anyone else has got the game, they're welcome to contrast their impressions with mine and perhaps swap strategies.

At some time in the future, I'd like to see a CFC forum dedicated to the board game. This game is sufficiently dissimilar to Civ5 not to belong in this forum.

11. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

I disagree about combat being too complex. The combat was targe straight forward in my opinion, although the torrence between armies and units made it a bit harder to explain to every player.

All in all, this is an amazing game that is well worth the money.

12. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

13. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

I think the optimal number varies by which version. For my old play group (I've since moved away), the optimal number was 6-10, Mayfair + expansions, with a ****load of moons and everyone having 2-3 powers at least one of which they didn't get to pick.

As you might guess, "winning" ceases to be the point. :D (One of our six player games was won by the refrigerator. It was kibbitzing. Don't ask.)

I think the new FF Cosmic is quite good, though, but I haven't played it enough yet to figure out what I consider the optimal number. We're still adjusting our strategies, honestly- in Mayfair with pure chaos, we're very aggressive and usually take all comers on the offense side, and in a serious game you really want to help the defender once in a while too.

As for Through the Ages... I picked that up a few years ago because BGG loves it so much and so do some of my friends. I've played it maybe a dozen times. I don't understand why anyone likes it. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I feel like the army mechanic is horrible, and I think the timeframe for the game would be improved by doubling the number of yellow cards so each age has a bit more time to it. We keep trying it to see what we're missing, and it's never worth the time. That said, people love the game, so I have to assume it's just me.

Looking forward to trying the new Civ board game. It does look cool. Here's my biggest question: how playable would it be to someone with extremely poor eyesight?

14. stormerne

That, sir, is an all-time classic line! :lol::goodjob:

There are defensive ally bonuses in the FF expansion I think. However, my personal opinion, FWIW, is that Mayfair is the best. FF is nicely produced with good artwork and materials (and is of course streets ahead of the lamentable Avalon Hill version), but Mayfair is way ahead of FF on sheer mind-boggling complexity and back-stabbing! ;)

Sadly I lost my Mayfair edition/expansions in a divorce settlement. :(
    Could be a problem, but a surmountable one. (It's even worse having short arms!) The thing is you need a BIG playing space. Four people around a circular dining table is OK for Cosmic, but that's only enough space for two players with Civ. However, if just one player has poor eyesight, you can put the market board near them, though the map would be harder to read for them. Realistically they can recruit an honest helper for reading the map symbols. The rest is just cards in hand.

15. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

I like how the instructions on page 19 keep reminding people when placing down the hut/village markers, to place them WITHOUT LOOKING ON THEIR OTHER SIDE. :lol:

16. Harald

Harald Prince

@stormerne or anyone else that has played the game enough:
    How well does the game scale? Is there a large difference in game play when playing only two players as opposed to four(or three)? When I think about it how different it plays isn't that important but rather how fun it is in comparison.

The reason I ask is that the group of people I usually play with varies allot in size depending on what is going on in their respective lives. And I'm somewhat interested in CivTBG but it is somewhat of an investment considering that in worst case it won't get used that much.

17. stormerne

Much more fun with more than two. Several reasons:
    • Bigger map.
    • More interaction of strategies and chosen target victories.
    • Military victory more interesting as you only need to capture one other player's capital.
    But the most important reason is:
    • Trade negotiations become more meaningful. Each turn in Civ has five phases. Phase 2 is Trade. At the end of this trade phase is the negotiation section where you can exchange non-binding promises, trade points, culture tokens and cards and resource tokens. This is where you can make alliances etc. In other words, Diplomacy. Negotiations are much less meaningful and much less fun when there are just two players.

18. Human Being

Human Being Chieftain

I got the board game as a Christmas present and I definitely recommend it to any Civ fan who also has at least a fleeting interest in board games. (and the people to play them with)

I've only gotten a chance to play twice so far, once with three people and once with two. The game is loads more fun with three (and I'd imagine four) for the reasons stormerne mentioned, and others. The two player game we played pretty much was a tactical war game with elements of building mixed in. With three people and the military victory requiring only capturing one capital city, it was fun as I went a builder, defensive, cultural strategy and both my warmongering friends were hovering around my cities fighting each other off because they knew either could win by finishing off the puny Egyptians.

As a tip though, I eventually lost the game after one friend was able to sack my capital so advice for anyone who buys - military is very important! You don't have to win a military victory, but you have no chance of winning any victory if you don't have a sizable army. I know this sounds intuitive, but I mean SIZABLE. You need to rush for barracks, troop upgrades, great generals, etc. even if you are trying to win commerce or culture.

If I had one complaint, the game maybe be a little TOO much like Civ PC games in that coming back from a bad start is very very difficult. I realized too late in the game that my strat was a losing one (give me a break, first game:eek:) and from that point on it was just a matter of enjoying my friends killing each other off, but I knew I had no chance.

And lastly, as a general shout out to Fantasy Flight Games, I own three of their games and plan to buy more. Just a terrific company with great design, a great catalog, and great customer service. This may draw the ire of European Designer Game purists (I'm with you guys, Carcassonne FTW) but don't listen to them. Actually do listen, both types of games are great!:goodjob:

19. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

What's interesting it this- look at the rules manual for the FF and the Avalon Hill. In most sections, they are identical, down to the typos! It's fundamentally the same game, and yet somehow the AH version was terrible and the FF version is good. Interesting how much a good selection of aliens makes or breaks the game.

Thank you very much. That sounds like we could make it work. Yeah, it's just one of us- not totally blind, but needs a magnifier to read small text and such. And we can give her a color that stands out more when we need to. Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

20. Harald

Harald Prince

Thanks for the info Stormerne and Human Being. I will take your opinions into consideration whether to buy or not. Will have to talk it over with my gaming group as well.:)