Civilization V BNW - Dutch Deity Domination - Honor - Commerce - Tanks

peddroelm

King
youtube playlist link
videos are curently uploading - first video is aready processed - all videos should be available in the next 24h ..

This is a proof of concept LP .. I'm not a particularly good player and probably even worse speaker/commentator - the purpose of this LP is to illustrate how domination victory could be achieved on deity difficulty level on a pangea type map even late into the game (with a Honor policy start no less) timeline (AIs into modern/atomic/information era) by all but ignoring AIR related units... A big factor into this change on modern era military unit effectivity (Landship/Tank spam > GWB/Bombers) is due to the last balance changes - the 6/10 limit of air units limit per city eliminates AI stack of doom capability, cutting their defensive teeth ability to defend armored unit spam in all but the most favorable terrain configurations ...

The 2 city Honor opening - Machinery "Rush" (with NC & caravan science leech) is quite versatile not demanding a lot of land to expand at start nor a hammer heavy capital (not that it would not help having a great capital location (quite the contrary)) ... NC + 10 achers + 2 caravans + extras(granary/scouts/monument ..) by turn 80 is not such a tall order for even the worst starting locations... Workers get recruited free of hammer/gold cost , upgrade money (with generous discount from proffesional army) can mostly aquired by meeting City states (scouting), barb camp raiding , luxury gpt trades ...

That said this openening doesn't work on each and every map (total isolation prevents caravan science leech), getting cornered with one of the blood thirsty AIs (Zulu/Huns) as only neighbour makes diplomatically (nearly) impossible to guarantee the ~80 of peace you need at the start of the game to get ready for war .

A few words about ideology - best match by far (like a glove) with this strategy is of course Autocracy - but I cannot include it because in some games picking autocracy might be luxury that cannot be afforded (AI ideology pressure) ... That said I'm confident armor spam should be strong enough to win deity games even under order/freedom ideology ..

Oh! This is a VidLP I was wondering why no one was commenting here & no updates were here so far :hammer2:

all videos (except one) are up and processed - took a bit longer than the estimated 24 hours - episode 26 seems to be stuck processing .. I'll try to re-upload and hope Youtube doesn't choke the second time on it ..

Very interesting strategy. I've played around with a two city honor start with the Celts a while ago, but struggled a bit getting an early Pictish Warrior army to take a capital.

I thought at first that you picked the Dutch because when you conquer your enemy's lands you get to spam Polders to finance your Landships. I bet China would be great for this strategy or Assyria.

I'm curious how you'd tweak this strategy for a continents map. Is this strategy still very viable when you'll need naval units and possibly deal with a run-away Civ on another continent?

Very interesting strategy. I've played around with a two city honor start with the Celts a while ago, but struggled a bit getting an early Pictish Warrior army to take a capital.

I thought at first that you picked the Dutch because when you conquer your enemy's lands you get to spam Polders to finance your Landships. I bet China would be great for this strategy or Assyria.

I'm curious how you'd tweak this strategy for a continents map. Is this strategy still very viable when you'll need naval units and possibly deal with a run-away Civ on another continent?

Probably not nearly as viable (note the "pangea" in the thread title) .

Technically combustion also gives you destroyer tech so in theory with a bit of diplo-fu one can get their fleet out of position for enough time to establish a foothold (city - maybe neutral CS) on their continent using destroyers as screen/meatshields (would work better for civs as England//Denmark that have embarked movement bonuses). So it might be doable but I didn't test it...

The videos are good, but the ai wasn't that nice to me. Also, the tank strategy can't be used that effectively in water maps. I have tried this strategy abd managed to get it to work on emperor difficulty on random maps...

Good game. Terrible starting location. And an interesting way to start it up. With Pangaea starts these situations (when you're surrounded) happen quite often. To me, the place was screaming Liberty with all the jungles in need of a chop, but, maybe, you just wanted to try honor? :)

Oh, i too have a lot of respect for tanks line, like you.

How about a piety domination game?

Good game. Terrible starting location. And an interesting way to start it up. With Pangaea starts these situations (when you're surrounded) happen quite often. To me, the place was screaming Liberty with all the jungles in need of a chop, but, maybe, you just wanted to try honor? :)

Oh, i too have a lot of respect for tanks line, like you.

How about a piety domination game?

The jungle was bad but Kilimanjaro played a huge role offsetting that .. Also AI Mongols or Arabs as immediate neighbors is another huge drop in difficulty (no knights - 2014 civ V AI cannot move and shoot in the same turn ) - allow your frail ranged units to survive and dominate ... ( Naresuan's elephant AI spam is a nightmare to deal with in medieval ) ..

Haven't touched civ V 5 in a few months so from that distance piety domination doesn't sound so ridiculous but probably only really viable with a a few select civs - not as a generic strategy ..

I've tried this exact thing with Bismarck after watching your video and I liked it a lot. When Panzers come out with lightning warfare it allows you to just punch through everything, even an Alexander who's eaten 3 other civs. For going to war with crossbows everything just lines up much better when you only make two cities instead of trying to grab four. Thanks for the idea and making these vids.

Nice vids, I enjoyed em. Just a piece of advice - be more careful with your microphone :)
Did you try that Honor/Commerce combo with Assyria? I imagine that should work quite well for catching up on the science.

Nice vids, I enjoyed em. Just a piece of advice - be more careful with your microphone :)
Did you try that Honor/Commerce combo with Assyria? I imagine that should work quite well for catching up on the science.

It is a terrible cheap mic .

Did not try with Assyria .. Thing with Assyria is if you're rolling enemies you don't desperately need to steal techs (every tech helps of course) .. It is when you're stuck waiting for a tech that you would need it most but their tech steal doesn't work when your're stuck and cannot capture cities (balanced) .. Still even the extra XP for new units alone makes Assyria good candidate for this sort of thing ..

doesnt matter, just dont hit the mic, as the noice is very serious then :)

Another good canditate for that strat should be Sweden. With the first GG you can ensure culture CS ally to solve the culture problems.

Top Bottom