Civilization V demo release date announced: 21st of september

Damnit. I'm already buying it. So much for feeding the monkey on my back beforehand.

Very disappointing: the day the game is released. Guess it's back to playing Starcraft II, no demo to learn Civ 5 with :(

It is interesting that they will not let people play the demo before the game is for sale...

wrong, 2k, the point of the demo is to raise hype before you release it.

It is interesting that they will not let people play the demo before the game is for sale...

Not really. Cracking is often related to Demo exes from what I understand.

Personally, I'd advocate taking the risk and releasing the demo early, but then I've never considered piracy to be a serious problem(for a good game, anyhow.) That said, I can understand companies being sheepish about the demo.

Honestly, 99% of games don't have demos at all. The ones that do usually don't have demos until at least six months after release. That's okay though, I get that some people need a reason, *any* reason, to cast doubt and FUD on Civ5. Don't let me get in the way of your irrational need to fear and doubt Civ5.

... I get that some people need a reason, *any* reason, to cast doubt and FUD on Civ5. Don't let me get in the way of your irrational need to fear and doubt Civ5.

I do not appreciate your characterization of me as fearful and irrational. I don't understand your evident emotional involvement in this issue, but please keep your assumptions about me or my motives to yourself.

ON TOPIC: I have no reason whatsoever to "cast doubt" on Civilization V. In fact I have been looking forward to the game's release for some time. Given the timing of the demo release along with the fact that the game has been in a playable (reviewable?) state for some time now however I now have substantial reason to wait and to encourage others to wait to make a purchase until we can be sure we are getting a product that we will be happy with. Prudence is never irrational. I will wait and suggest that others do the same to avoid a hype-induced decision that we might later regret.

Judging by the piss poor marketing so far by 2K Games, this is hardly a surprise.

A nice Sulla style walk through (ala cIV) a week before the game is released would be just as good as a demo though.

I hate these people more than I hate 56K, and that's saying something. Then again, on the one hand another failure in the marketing department should hardly surprise me; on the other hand, if the game has been made as poorly as it has been marketed, I'll surely regret purchasing it.

I do not appreciate your characterization of me as fearful and irrational. I don't understand your evident emotional involvement in this issue, but please keep your assumptions about me or my motives to yourself.

ON TOPIC: I have no reason whatsoever to "cast doubt" on Civilization V. In fact I have been looking forward to the game's release for some time. Given the timing of the demo release along with the fact that the game has been in a playable (reviewable?) state for some time now however I now have substantial reason to wait and to encourage others to wait to make a purchase until we can be sure we are getting a product that we will be happy with. Prudence is never irrational. I will wait and suggest that others do the same to avoid a hype-induced decision that we might later regret.

My "emotional" involvement is simple. Every thread has some kind of petty little snipe in it. This goes way beyond prudence. I never said everyone has to go out and pre-order the game immediately, as that would hardly be right for everyone. By all means, do not preorder it until you try it. That's sage advice, even if I have decided to take the pre-purchase leap of faith.

What I don't understand is the attempt to drum up negative buzz. Why is there such intense suspicion and negativity around every tidbit of information. I apologize for my shot from the hip, but you have to admit there is a distinct group of forum users working overtime to create a negative buzz around the title.

This is ridiculousness. When they said "prereleased" I thought that it would be released before the game is out. No, they were just giving us false hopes. -2 for the poor marketing of this and -10 for blatantly lying to the civ community :sad:

My "emotional" involvement is simple. Every thread has some kind of petty little snipe in it. This goes way beyond prudence. I never said everyone has to go out and pre-order the game immediately, as that would hardly be right for everyone. By all means, do not preorder it until you try it. That's sage advice, even if I have decided to take the pre-purchase leap of faith.

What I don't understand is the attempt to drum up negative buzz. Why is there such intense suspicion and negativity around every tidbit of information. I apologize for my shot from the hip, but you have to admit there is a distinct group of forum users working overtime to create a negative buzz around the title.

I don't think they're trying to "create negative buzz." Everyone on this site wants to see Civilization V be the best game in the series, otherwise they wouldn't be here. It's not that they want it to fail but rather that they're afraid of the unknown. They're afraid that they won't be able to enjoy their favorite game anymore because of a poor decision of some kind. They are also afraid that if they make a purchase before playing the demo they may be disappointed. The decision to release the demo on the same day the game releases contributes to these fears.

Everyone here wants more Civ players in the community, not fewer. Everyone wants to see the developer recieve proper payment for their artistry and hard work. Everyone has the highest hopes for Civ V. I, for one, hope that any fears about the game are unfounded and that when I eventually do play the demo, even if that is on or after release, that it dazzles me. When that happens I'll gladly purchase the product with sincere thanks.

I don't think they're trying to "create negative buzz." Everyone on this site wants to see Civilization V be the best game in the series, otherwise they wouldn't be here. It's not that they want it to fail but rather that they're afraid of the unknown. They're afraid that they won't be able to enjoy their favorite game anymore because of a poor decision of some kind. They are also afraid that if they make a purchase before playing the demo they may be disappointed. The decision to release the demo on the same day the game releases contributes to these fears.

Everyone here wants more Civ players in the community, not fewer. Everyone wants to see the developer recieve proper payment for their artistry and hard work. Everyone has the highest hopes for Civ V. I, for one, hope that any fears about the game are unfounded and that when I eventually do play the demo, even if that is on or after release, that it dazzles me. When that happens I'll gladly purchase the product with sincere thanks.

As I pointed out in another thread, the people of Civilization Fanatics do not necessarily have any specific complaints about Civilization V. It isn't as though there will be no demo. However, what people do fear is that, if the demo was moved to such a release date, which people assume are not in their best interests, the Civilization franchise now has more interests in pleasing the investors than the consumers. Now, I don't agree that moving the release date of the demo was not in the best interests of the people, the Civilization fanatics, but I do understand why people get up and arms about these issues, because, fundamentally, the time that people have to spend with themselves and entertainment is an important part of American and generally Western life; therefore, people want to know whether they should spend that time with Civilization V as opposed to maybe spending that money on a sports channel or not.

It's not that they want it to fail but rather that they're afraid of the unknown.

That's what is annoying me. Every last change in the formula is greeted with grandiose proclamations of doom. I, too, want Civ5 to be good. There is always a chance it *will* be terrible, but I find this highly unlikely. Yes, it will not be a Civ4 expansion pack. I do not think this is a problem. It is time to try some new ideas, don't you agree?

Do people really want what amounts to a $50 stand alone Civ4 expansion?

Not really. Cracking is often related to Demo exes from what I understand.

Personally, I'd advocate taking the risk and releasing the demo early, but then I've never considered piracy to be a serious problem(for a good game, anyhow.) That said, I can understand companies being sheepish about the demo.

Honestly, 99% of games don't have demos at all. The ones that do usually don't have demos until at least six months after release. That's okay though, I get that some people need a reason, *any* reason, to cast doubt and FUD on Civ5. Don't let me get in the way of your irrational need to fear and doubt Civ5.

I don't understand it, but it doesn't make me think less of Civ5, for sure. I just wish they would use demos like companies did in the past: to build hype for a game. I'm buying it no matter what, but after all this marketing hype for the game Firaxis should have been able to put a demo together sooner. :sad:

Shame.

Ah well... I knew I would buy it before it was even announced, just because of the history and I'm to busy to enjoy a demo till 21th anyway. But going to take a few days of after it to enjoy it, the full game that is.... so looking forward to that!

People people - If you are still going to buy the game despite not playing the demo, you are obviously not concerned nor being the target group for the demo. So just be loyal customers and hand over you money on anything labeled Civilization. Those of you who have cancelled your preorders or wait day or two (or *shock* even longer) playing the demo I can understand. Is it stupid that companies nowadays don't release demos or do it in this way? Sure, but it's another subject.

Top Bottom