Civilization V Early Prototype Demo (PAX East)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NeverMind, Mar 24, 2013.

1. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

At PAX East Firaxis shows video of an early prototype of Сivilization V. And it's amusing)

:king:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. deo

deo Emperor

You know, there's an entire forum dedicated to BnW here...

3. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

You know, i know)

But it's not at all about BNW, it's about vanilla Civ5...

4. Anfillius

Anfillius Chieftain

The combat zoom feature would have been nice, purely for aesthetic/immersion purposes. I wonder how much it would tax my modest PC though.

5. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

If I leave animations on (usually play with quick attack to save time) I will end up zooming in and out manually. They are there to look pretty, may as well get a close-up of the action :)

Not sure if I would prefer to have it automatic or not. Seems like it could get annoying at times.

6. The Veez

The Veez Chieftain

I really liked that leader screen. It gave a much bigger feeling of depth than Bismark's current screen.

7. Redvers

Redvers Chieftain

In my opinion:

The graphics are better (textures / trees / fog of war peeling away from movement)
    The animations are better (city rising / combat / warriors semi-circle protecting workers)
    The landscape is better, the rivers are wider and hills / mountains look better defined.

So... can I have this version instead lol. They totally went backwards on some things. Such a shame.

EDIT: And 5 catapults per hex instead of 2... man they really had a golden egg, wtf happened

8. lepruk86

lepruk86 Chieftain

Just visually... I actually prefer that to what we got. Is that odd?

I think the art has far more personality than what they eventually went with.

9. ragan651

ragan651 High Regent of Candlewick

I agree, that looked so much better.

10. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Warlord

I actually think I prefer the current game to that rendered vid. A few things that I wish had made it into the final game are the scale(beating a dead horse here but 1UPT would work wonderfully if the maps were like in that video, as in plenty of room to move around.)

Graphics, I'm mixed on. I prefer the current game's styling but I think the bloom in that vid would have been a nice touch. Overall, it's important to remember that this is a render and not a prototype. It's just a video, it's not the actual game running. Judging based on trends I've seen before(Anyone remember the teaser for The Sims 2 way back in 03'? Major disappointment from that one.) we should expect this level of detail for the next game in the series. Rarely do all the features the designers want to see make it into the final game.

Things that I like better in the final game:
    Better UI
    Combat not zooming in on every fight(would be annoying late game when the AI have a ton of planes)
    Leader screens in final game(I think putting detail into the leaders themself over their background was a good design choice.)

11. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Gosh, I really dig that version !