Civilization V Funny screenshots

Sooooo because recently Civ5 has brought my frustration to a boiling point yet again I've decided to continue fiddling with my personal mod again I created some months ago. When you are used to how things are done in Civ4, many aspects from Civ5 seem horrendous to you, and modding has got to be the biggest offender. One of the changes I made in my mod was making the Watermill and Floating Garden provide plus 1 Gold for every river tile, because somehow I was unable to just make rivers provide the extra yield themselves. I was however unable to document that change ingame, as in in the description, the Civilopedia etc., but eventually gave up on trying to make that work because I figured the mod is only for my own use anyway and I don't want to waste any more time with the mess Mr. "most moddable Civ ever" Shafer left behind than absolutely necessary.

Anyhow, today I tried documenting that change ingame again just as a matter of principle, because I just won't accept that this game won't let me display the simple sentence "Provides +1 Gold in every tile next to a River". So I fiddled with the mod a little again, and started it up to see if I finally got that stupid description to show up ingame. Well, I didn't need to look further than the game setup screen to find out that indeed, I fulfilled the letter if not the spirit of this wish:

Spoiler Provides +1 Gold in every tile next to a River :

Anyhow, today I tried documenting that change ingame again just as a matter of principle, because I just won't accept that this game won't let me display the simple sentence "Provides +1 Gold in every tile next to a River". So I fiddled with the mod a little again, and started it up to see if I finally got that stupid description to show up ingame. Well, I didn't need to look further than the game setup screen to find out that indeed, I fulfilled the letter if not the spirit of this wish:

Spoiler Provides +1 Gold in every tile next to a River :
Um, wow. What exactly did you do to manage that? :eek:

Since this is obviously not what you wanted, and you're strugging with changing the descriptions of the buildings, I decided to quickly bash out some XML to do what you want:
Code:
<GameData>
    <Buildings>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="BUILDING_WATERMILL">
            <Set Strategy="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WATERMILL_STRATEGY_NEW" Help="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WATERMILL_HELP_NEW">
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS">
            <Set Strategy="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FOATING_GARDENS_STRATEGY_NEW" Help="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS_NEW">
        </Update>
    </Buildings>

<Language_en_US>
        <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WATERMILL_STRATEGY_NEW">
            <Text>The Water Mill can only be constructed in a city located next to a river. The Water Mill increases the city's [ICON_FOOD] Food intake, and also provides +1 [ICON_GOLD] Gold in every tile next to a River.</Text>
        </Row>
        <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WATERMILL_HELP_NEW">
            <Text>City must be built next to a River. Provides additional [ICON_FOOD] Food and +1 [ICON_GOLD] Gold in every tile next to a River.</Text>
        </Row>
        <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FOATING_GARDENS_STRATEGY_NEW">
            <Text>The Floating Gardens is the Aztec unique building, replacing the Water Mill. It increases the city's [ICON_FOOD] Food output, and should be built if the city is near a lake or river. It also provides +1 [ICON_GOLD] Gold in every tile next to a River.</Text>
        </Row>
        <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS_HELP_NEW">
            <Text>+15% [ICON_FOOD] Food. Each worked Lake tile provides +2 [ICON_FOOD] Food, and each worked River tile provides +1 [ICON_GOLD] Gold.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]City must be built next to a River or Lake.</Text>
        </Row>
    </Language_en_US>
</GameData>
My guess is that you couldn't work out where to find the table entries that contained the descriptions for the Water Mill and Floating Gardens in order to update them. To do something like that, you would need to look into the game's XML files (start in Assets\Gameplay in your CiV root folder, as I can't look at it right now) to find the correct strings to update, or use these as a reference as I did just now.

Thank you, but ironically enough this isn't necessary anymore as I found out a way to just make rivers provide +1 Gold by themselves as they did before BNW. Making Watermills and Floating Gardens do that was just a workaround which is now no longer needed.

Edit: Okay never mind, just fml, apparently that doesn't work for flood plains or river tiles with features in general, so back to giving the bonus to Watermills and Floating Gardens then.

Edit 2: Aaaaaaand of course it didn't work, because I deleted whatever initially made watermills provide gold to rivers in the first place, and now had to find out a way to do that from scratch.

No, wait, I'm just an idiot, and accidentally started a testgame without first activating my mod. You know what would be grand? If I could make a shortcut so that I can always start a game with a specific mod without first having to load the Vanilla game followed by clicking through stupid legal disclaimers. Also if whenever I want to go back to the main menu in a modded game it wouldn't immediately unload the mod. You know, kinda like in Civ4, or exactly like in Civ4. Say about stuff like 1UPT what you want, but at least it was a change that in theory could have been beneficial, but there is no excuse for removing useful features without rhyme or reason and not replacing them with anything period.

Edit 3: AHA! Even with my mod nothing happens when I build a watermill! Gawd I hate everything so much right now, I better take this to the Civ5 rants thread.

Spoiler DOG PIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!! :

Spoiler Yeah! Good luck with that. :

a city in Africa with cultural borders in shape of Africa

Attachments

• afr.jpg
    afr.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 969
Thank you, but ironically enough this isn't necessary anymore as I found out a way to just make rivers provide +1 Gold by themselves as they did before BNW. Making Watermills and Floating Gardens do that was just a workaround which is now no longer needed.

Edit: Okay never mind, just fml, apparently that doesn't work for flood plains or river tiles with features in general, so back to giving the bonus to Watermills and Floating Gardens then.

Edit 2: Aaaaaaand of course it didn't work, because I deleted whatever initially made watermills provide gold to rivers in the first place, and now had to find out a way to do that from scratch.

No, wait, I'm just an idiot, and accidentally started a testgame without first activating my mod. You know what would be grand? If I could make a shortcut so that I can always start a game with a specific mod without first having to load the Vanilla game followed by clicking through stupid legal disclaimers. Also if whenever I want to go back to the main menu in a modded game it wouldn't immediately unload the mod. You know, kinda like in Civ4, or exactly like in Civ4. Say about stuff like 1UPT what you want, but at least it was a change that in theory could have been beneficial, but there is no excuse for removing useful features without rhyme or reason and not replacing them with anything period.

Edit 3: AHA! Even with my mod nothing happens when I build a watermill! Gawd I hate everything so much right now, I better take this to the Civ5 rants thread.

I feel your pain IK, I definitely feel your pain. I'd post my epic fail that I was trying to accomplish for my youngest, but he's still laughing at the old man and I want to pout some more.

Eh, people, did you miss the last WC gathering, or what? :confused:
Spoiler :

I know it's been done before, but I've wanted to do this for a long time. I guess I should have been playing as France, but still ...
Spoiler :

Those 2 hammers by Spain though: "We made a baking soda volcano! Where is our prize?"

Those hammers wasted by Spain is nothing compared to the almost 300 wasted hammers by the winner.

This thread has been quiet, so here a screenshot of a situation that amused me. Spoiler show a six tile island with 8(!) barbs (5 of them are settlers). Barely room to land my scout. A couple turns later, a frigate showed up, so I got to cash in!
Spoiler :

Top Bottom