1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V Funny screenshots

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Caeserportugal, Sep 20, 2010.

1. arand86

arand86 Warlord

Technically it isn't pure strength wise, Battering ram is 30 strength to cities vs the 24 on the Tower

But damn is the Tower effective

2. Denounced

Denounced Chieftain

I never made a single friend the whole game due to breaking a promise about being close to the borders. They were all hostile and/or guarded. The city states were mostly allies all the way through and by the end every one of them was an ally. I created world peace by annexing the world into my empire, save for the city states.
    This was on Emperor with 12 civs and 10 city states on Standard size map. I went with the Order Ideology. Free Courthouse on Tenet 3 :)

Attached Files:

3. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I took this as a comment on the fact that the siege towers are some way away and can be blocked by my units.

I eventually lost after being unable to defend against a siege tower plus two impi adjacent to the city (I destroyed the other tower), given the damage the catapult was dealing.

In my limited experience of them, Assyria hurts quite badly from being unable to get a ranged siege unit until Physics (in the above game, as noted the siege tower was much less of a threat than the catapult). The siege tower is strong, and much more survivable than the battering ram so you'll get more attacks with it, but it suffers from the same limitations - it's slow and so poor in difficult terrain, it can be blocked by units it can't attack standing between it and its target. It's also slightly later tech and so has a smaller window of utility as a direct siege unit - though it's handy to have some sticking around for the later game because they give adjacent melee units a bonus to city attack.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

...or 13 of them (according to my screenshot)!

5. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Behold, the outstanding harbor of Lisbon! May ships be free to come and go to Lisbon, capita... oh wait.

http://imgur.com/kEX6Jis

6. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Some global warming would make it a good port.

7. Aldor

Aldor King

Not the first screenshot of this kind, but I personally hadn't seen something like this... I think a spanish settler was slightly...lost...there :)

Attached Files:

8. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

I just had a game where Spain did the same thing! The shocking part was that she had kept the city (in these situations they tend to lose them) and it grew and because a strong, core city.

Odd looking at the mini-map and seeing her empire literally split in half.

9. deity12

deity12 Chieftain

We obviously can't see because of the fog, but maybe the were trying to grab a natural wonder for their UA? Although I've never really seen the Spanish AI being intelligent enough to do that.

10. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Whenever the map is crowded, they tend to settle anywhere. On Earth (22 civ + small map size) civilizations from all over rushed to Australia, pacific islands, north Russia/Canada, Greenland, etc. The AI gets desperate.

11. njmfff

njmfff Prince

That would be a terrific location if there wasn't that huge block of ICE. :lol:
    I would never settle my city near snow or tundra tho, they are just waste of titles. :( Alho, 4 deer start, nice. Get granary and you won't have food problem for a really long time. :p

12. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

The one game I played as Venice I landed in a position like that - had to puppet a CS ASAP to get a route to the sea.

Fortunately Venice is so overpowered I didn't feel the lack for long...

13. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Is it really overpowered? I didn't realize that.

14. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Well, it allowed me to rush ahead to 1st in almost all demographics, with a convincing lead, by 1200 AD on Emperor when I was unable to secure a lead that quickly with any other civ I played on the same difficulty, and that despite a poor starting location. I can play with all the advantages of OCC, plus extra science from puppets, plus all the gold I could ever want to buy armies at need not to mention workshops etc. for Wonder production.

I suspect I'd see a drastic reduction in Venice's power on Immortal or Deity, where even with advantages getting Wonders is tough, let alone most of the priority ones (I struggle to get Wonders on Immortal as Egypt), but a civ can hardly be considered balanced if you have to play at the second highest level for it to have any significant handicap.

15. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Yeah, but you get all the national wonders quickly, since only Venice counts as your city, so they have very low production cost., which means, you can quickly build NC and Ironworks to get that extra science and production... and you can always ship one or two sea trade routes to get additional food\production. So yeah, building things with Venice is easy.

Only problem is, if you start few titles away from some awesome natural wonder, you can just sit and cry. :( or hope that some AI will place city next to it, so you can later pick up that city. :lol:

16. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

In my last game as the Shoshone, I settled a city on the northern coast of my continent only to discover, after building a caravel, that ice choked off the body of water into a large enclosed sea. I had to go build another city just to get a useable harbor. At least the unreachable sea made a great location for building a secret submarine fleet.

17. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

If you play with Hiawatha or Washington, this will happen at turn 15.

18. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

If you play on Deity, it shall happen with any civ at turn 5 D:

19. Danierokon

Danierokon Chieftain

Spoiler :
    This lady is crazier than I thought...Worst thing is I didn't see this coming...

WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING???

20. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Your vins are ruined! Beware of le Française.

Very soon, you will here "Quan' ghe sarè piu v'ialtri, Sior, ghe ne sarà piu per mi!".