Civilization V has been nominated for Best PC Game by the Spike VGA Awards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many people now enthustiastic for Civ V can keep up the excitement after they've done enough warmongering, as many people who play older Civs regurarly have lost interest already.

I simply can't belive that Civ V will be played for years like Civs III and IV for example, unless Firaxis manages to release some unbelivale kickass expansions.

I don't mean this as an insult to those who love it, it's good that people have fun.

None of that has anything to do with the insane statements I called you out on.

It has everything to do with it. Most of you complaining about Civ V aren't looking at it as a new Civ game, you're looking at it as Civ IV 2.0 and its been made clear about 50,000 times that it is no Civ IV 2.0. If you want Civ IV, play Civ IV. If you want a new Civ game, play Civ V. If you want to complain endlessly, which appears to be the case, then by all means, continue to do so.

Inb4lock?

Anywho, I think that CiV has potential and while I could see CiV Complete easily grabbing the GOTY for 2011 or 2012, it definately does not deserve that for 2010.

And no, I could not play CiV for years. But I couldn't play Civ III or IV for years either. I did play the COMPLETE version of both for years however, and still enjoy both COMPLETE versions to this day.

Inb4lock?

Anywho, I think that CiV has potential and while I could see CiV Complete easily grabbing the GOTY for 2011 or 2012, it definately does not deserve that for 2010.

And no, I could not play CiV for years. But I couldn't play Civ III or IV for years either. I did play the COMPLETE version of both for years however, and still enjoy both COMPLETE versions to this day.

At the risk of being branded a blind fanboi, this is how I suspect this will go. Yes Civ5 is a fairly disappointing vanilla version, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised after it is expanded. This is, at least, my very sincere hope. I hope that Shafer is digesting all of the meaningful criticism(not the mindless 1 and 5 star reviews, as OA puts it) preparing for a shocking comeback with the XP.

It has everything to do with it. Most of you complaining about Civ V aren't looking at it as a new Civ game, you're looking at it as Civ IV 2.0 and its been made clear about 50,000 times that it is no Civ IV 2.0. If you want Civ IV, play Civ IV. If you want a new Civ game, play Civ V. If you want to complain endlessly, which appears to be the case, then by all means, continue to do so.

I would say that the vast majority of my presented reasoning that civ V can't touch ME2 or Sc2 on this list has nothing to do with how it stacks up to previous iterations, other than a brief aside that it continued an unfortunate bad UI tradition...

They're valid problems. Supporting a game with them as is is supporting those problems. And for the record...no, I don't expect my arguments here to change the world or anything, but that doesn't change the reality that good games that aren't bugridden and work on release still exist. I do, however, find it sad that increasingly the titles that are the most stable and bug-free call consoles, and not PCs, home.

Can't believe we're still fighting the praisers. They can't be sweyed. They won't be convinced. Unfortunately TMIT is right and they hamper Civ V's and all of PC gaming's development. The thing is, everything really is subjective in the end, even if some will go into unthinkable reasoning to stand by their beliefs. But that's the think, hard conservative bigots are a problem for me too, but trying to talk them out of their ways just doesn't work. Same with hard liberals like me. All I can really do is try to keep them from gathering power, and seriously consider shooting them if they get some. The CFC equivalent is for both sides to just keep ranting, fighting for Firaxis' attention, hoping for their views to be the ones considered for the next patch. Personally I'm just tired of it all. I think Civ V is already proof that the devs have made up their minds, and that the franchise is in decline. Luckily I've learned to laugh at Civ V defenders like charon2112, because frankly that's all I can do really (you see, I can't shoot them from here).
Moderator Action: Trolling and flaming is not allowed here.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The only people making this particular argument are those defending the game, not those criticizing it. It's just a strawman argument, and it would be far more productive to focus on the particular things that people don't like as opposed to asserting that they just want Civ 4.5 (again and again).

For example, you had to hit "next turn" a lot in Civ 4, which was not a good feature. So, rather than wanting the same thing as 4, I'd rather have seen an improvement. In Civ 5 you have wait longer for each turn and you have to wait more turns for things to happen, resulting in even more dead time than in prior versions of the game. I think that's unconditionally worse.

Mouse players are extra slow though. That's fine for mouse players, nothing wrong with that, except that firaxis deemed it appropriate to ACTIVELY FORCE EVERY player into playing more slowly. THAT isn't cool. Also, advertising controls that don't work a la civ IV is bad form. You are correct that most (but not all) of them are tied to hotkeys...especially alt + something. I again emphasize that it was a confirmed bug for years but left untouched as they added more and more obscure changes instead.
No argument here. I am perfectly willing to support your expectation of inteligently functional hotkeys, shortcuts, pre-programmed actions, and automations, even if I never or rarely use them. ;)

At the risk of being branded a blind fanboi, this is how I suspect this will go. Yes Civ5 is a fairly disappointing vanilla version, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised after it is expanded. This is, at least, my very sincere hope. I hope that Shafer is digesting all of the meaningful criticism(not the mindless 1 and 5 star reviews, as OA puts it) preparing for a shocking comeback with the XP.
I think this is how we critics HOPE it will go (which is why we are not "haters"). It may not be how we expect it will go, as that would require the recalibration of a few developer's brains. But I think we hope that enough relentless but accurate criticism might push them to that recalibration.

And we are disapointed now because we kind of expected that pleasant surprise to come with the initial game release, not with the first expansion.

dV

Can't believe we're still fighting the praisers. They can't be sweyed. They won't be convinced. Unfortunately TMIT is right and they hamper Civ V's and all of PC gaming's development. The thing is, everything really is subjective in the end, even if some will go into unthinkable reasoning to stand by their beliefs. But that's the think, hard conservative bigots are a problem for me too, but trying to talk them out of their ways just doesn't work. Same with hard liberals like me. All I can really do is try to keep them from gathering power, and seriously consider shooting them if they get some. The CFC equivalent is for both sides to just keep ranting, fighting for Firaxis' attention, hoping for their views to be the ones considered for the next patch. Personally I'm just tired of it all. I think Civ V is already proof that the devs have made up their minds, and that the franchise is in decline. Luckily I've learned to laugh at Civ V defenders like charon2112, because frankly that's all I can do really (you see, I can't shoot them from here).
I'd say that a larger majority of people enjoy Civilization 5 well enough to continue playing it, but also understand that it's a very incomplete game with a large number of bugs. It's not some kind of faith, or blindness to the issues which allows people to enjoy the game... There IS an actual grey area a whole lot of people seem to completely ignore.

Don't say I never did anyone a favor ;)

:lol: nice one.

But:

Moderator Action: The next troll post will close the thread.

Moderator Action:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom