1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V has been nominated for Best PC Game by the Spike VGA Awards!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Deep_Blue, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

I hope civ5 is an unfinished product.
    It's not great right now, but I guess it shall be.

2. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Can we seriously stop associating Bioware and Good Story?

Honestly stop it... now.

Bad guy shows up, kills good guy or does he? - Good guy gets ressurected by Neutral, Shady type guys - Good guy spends 90% of his time gathering his amigos via inane quests - Amigos gathered good guy faces off Bad Guy, loses 1-2 amigos in the process, beats bad guy... makes totally irrelevant moral decision... ends.

All this in perfectly boring linear fashion.

Or do you think that Dragon Age has a good story?

No ... Bioware can't do a good story... they can do a generically unoriginal with fake moral dilemas type of story... but good story... sorry ... nope.

3. GKling

GKling Chieftain

Nah, you’re wrong. Civ V is the worst game ever released in the history of time, bar none.*

*Figured if you are set on trolling this thread, I may as well take counter-point.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

There's a difference between plot and story, and considering the level of "writing" for the majority of games... yeah I'd say Bioware is still one of the better story tellers. There's really only a limited number of plots that get used over and over by everyone anyways. Course not everyone is going to like them, doesn't mean they suck. Halo and CoD games are pretty damn mediocre/average but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them.

If not Bioware, then who do you think makes a good story in games (except Planescape Torment which is apparently is similar to a series of novels in game form)?

5. luisfpf

luisfpf Chieftain

Did they play it ? or they just look at the screen shots ? :/
    Ridiculous...

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, maybe it's a hint at the abysmal level of quality of PC game these days.

Anyway, it's so outclassed by any other game on the list that it should not be even a contest - but considering it should never had managed to get into the list anyway, anything is possible.

Mass Effect 2 and New Vegas are the best contenders anyway.
    Oh, please.
    It's just grasping at straws. Civ5 has lots of technical problems, and liking it or not has nothing to do with simply recognizing this fact.
    And the number of years in development is NOT an acceptable argument to justify bugs, ON THE CONTRARY. If a game is released too soon, it's not an excuse, it's a fault.

7. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Enjoying a story doesn't automatically make it intriguing, deep, well scripted, involving, branching, multi layered and well paced, all of which cannot be used to describe Bioware Stories, at least not since KOTOR.

There are people who enjoy Civ V... does that make it a balanced & well presented game with fully realised and fuctioning as intended concepts? No.

Sierra during it's Golden Age. Revolution Software. LucasArts back when they still had a working brain. First 2 Gothic games... not sure who made those. Plenty of others if i sit down and look into it.

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Man, you really don't know what you're talking about :-/
    As an aside, it's pretty easy to take ANY story and sum it up in a way that makes it look like stupid, regardless of its quality.

ME2 is a bit too short (the 100 hours mark given by PrinceStamp is definitely FAR too generous and apply more to New Vegas, ME2 is more about 30 hours), and its story is maybe nothing new under the sun, but it's extremely well-done when it comes to how they rendered it, and you can just let yourself be dragged into and enjoy it.
    It feels like playing a very good action movie, and they managed to keep the "cinematic" aspect without making it a passive video screener. I know it's one of the few games that glued me to my screen this years (the other two being Alpha Protocol, despite its numerous horrible flaws, and New Vegas - mmh, is there a trend here ?), while SC2 and Civ5 bored me quite a bit - if you want a "repetitive and incredibly predictable story, try SC2, I had a grand total of 0 surprise in the whole game.

9. HeavyTwenty

HeavyTwenty Chieftain

I've put more hours into 2k's MLB 2k10 ($2.00 steam sale, first MLB game I've played since 1997) than Civ 5. Still waiting on patches so I can actually finish some large/huge games.

10. Meeber

Meeber Chieftain

Well lets think about this for a moment. If just about all PC games are released 1/2 finished these days (which they are) then you must compare these unfinished games with each other so in that case I can see CIV 5 as being one of the nominee's.
    Remember your comparing 1/2 finished games with each other.

11. Deep_Blue

Deep_Blue Knight

12. vandyr

vandyr Prince

In case you hadn't noticed, many around here wanted exactly that - Civ V to be nothing but a reskin. Its unfortunate, really.

13. Deep_Blue

Deep_Blue Knight

Regarding ME2 the game is huge and extremely enjoyable, although it is a bit short but there is decent replayability in it where you can replay the game with different hero type like Engineer or Vanguard. There were 4 or 5 types of heroes and each one have unique abilities and unique style and provides a completely different gaming experience.

I liked ME2.. exploring galaxies and landing on unknown planets is awesome. When I played the game I was glued to my chair in front of the PC for weeks, unlike CivV were I force my self to play and cant play more than 2 hours before I get bored.

They are different game genres I know that.. but what is universally common between all games is the fun factor. Great fun makes a great game even if it is short.

14. Deep_Blue

Deep_Blue Knight

Actually yes.. I prefer Civ4 with improved graphics or what some people call CIV IV.5.

15. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I don't really get all the fuss, to be honest. Its a good game, and I haven't touched Civ IV since it came out.

16. luisfpf

luisfpf Chieftain

Please explain how a NON STUPID AI is a RESKIN???? :lol:

AND missplaced units that u cannot see is a RESKIN??? :lol:

etc... etc ....

17. vandyr

vandyr Prince

non stupid AI would be revolutionary for a Civ game....the AI has been stupid in every one of them. Not sure about the units, I haven't come across that problem.

18. luisfpf

luisfpf Chieftain

19. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Not really, its the same AI using different mechanics. 1upt for instance highlights the poor UI, which is a fault of the AI and not 1upt. This AI is no more ******** than Civ IV's was.

20. charon2112

charon2112 King

^this. sad truth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.