Civilization V has been nominated for Best PC Game by the Spike VGA Awards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There we go insulting the intelligence of other forum members

Reading comprehension...FAILURE! This isn't a good start for your counter-arguments. I am insulting the logic of your argument, not you. But man, am I insulting the logic of your argument, because it's terrible.

Whereas I would disagree; I actually like the interface quite a bit. So again, subjective.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuitive

A city that indicates that it will do one thing, then does another does not possibly fit the definition of intuitive. Maybe in your time playing you didn't notice the issue, but you seriously can't tell me that mis-representation of game data/controls constitutes "intuitive", or that such a matter is subjective. Well, you can, but not with any degree of plausibility. I might as well say I can destroy the moon by punching it, which is just as true as your interpretation of the term "subjective" thus far (so far, you seem to like to define anything for which you have no answer as "subjective" in an attempt to hand-wave valid points/counterarguments).

It has modability; does it have the degree of modability which some people may desire? Yes, possibly, and no possibly. Again, subjective.

Maybe, but what I left out was that it claims it has the best yet-available in the series. It will. Doesn't now though. They know it and are working on it. Even the DEVELOPERS realize this isn't finished. When a patch breaks the mods of the "most mod-able" title in the series for some time, that's seriously sour.

Obviously, many people are playing multiplayer, to what degree multiplayer does or does not work is again subjective.

Aside from gameplay issues (which are irrelevant to whether this is finished), try playing with say 8 players in a MP game. Supposedly, you can, but in reality not so much. If you prefer "false/misleading advertising" to "incomplete", fine, but AFAIK they're going to do something about it.

I've played over 92 hours. And yes, I've had it crash a few times. But I can also point to at least a dozen or more other PC games that have also crashed on me at one point or another. What's your point?

My point is that when you stack up a game that crashes more frequently than the average release title, has issues with its controls, and doesn't run smoothly on recommended specs next to some of the more stable on-release titles around, it obviously compares poorly. If you want to say it's "more unfinished" rather than "the others are finished and civ V isn't", then we're basically agreeing on the relative complete-ness of the games, and are arguing over definitions rather than what is actually going on. My point from the start has been that at least 2 (don't know much about the new fallout) of the titles Civ V competes with on that list are objectively more complete games that work better within recommended specs. That is a FACT. On top of that, they themselves are top tier games in their genres; civ V's higher degree of incompleteness really hampers it (though sadly it is still top-tier in its genre). It does not DESERVE game of the year, it deserves fixes so that its potential can really shine.

The controls seem to work just fine to me. I'm lost on what you're trying to do here.

It's amazing to me that you've gone 92 hours without recognizing the control flaws/issues, but then again it's amazing to me that people aren't aware of them in civ IV, too. You need only to watch one of my "let's plays" on youtube to find multiple examples of UI issues such that I'm attempting to do something and can't do it, the game does something different from what I ordered, etc. Laughably, that is an IMPROVEMENT from civ IV though, where units FORCIBLY moved at start-turn even if you tried to cancel their orders, workers would move next to barbs ALREADY in sight and THEN blow their remaining move on a tile improvement, and one could declare war on an AI without prompt (an instant loss in XOTM and HoF formats). So while the controls in V suck from a streamlining point of view, at least they aren't game-breaking...unless you're in MP and the unit you just ordered attack refuses to do so only because it's pathing through a city, then you lose your chance. A MP experience based on fighting the UI and not the actual game mechanics...yeah...THAT's a good experience :sad:.

I'm flexible on this point, however. You can argue since it's possible to complete the game with the current UI, that it isn't "incomplete". That would shift the UI/controls issue to simply "bad game" territory. Firaxis is aware of it, and a heavy portion of the forum is also. Basically, anyone who uses hotkeys instead of preferring to spend hours of dead time playing inefficiently (literally hours extra to play the same #games) knows just how limited the civ V UI is. Maybe they're done with it anyway; if they are it is one of their single worst design decisions, ever.

How many games have you completed in those 92 hours? That will say a lot ^_^.

Is it really necessary to implicate or insult others to get your points across?

Well, I've done neither in this instance, since you don't seem to want to touch this particular point :p. No worries, I'm sure you're not alone. However, your inability/unwillingness to even address issues like this really does weaken your argument considerably.

No, you have provided me with your subjective view of the game. You're entitled to that view. You are not entitled to claim it is the "right" view or "factual" view.

I am entitled to claim anything I wish to claim so long as it fits within forum rules. You definitely are not entitled to tell me what I can and can't say here.

Also, none of the issues I provided you are subjective. They are real, documented problems. Your only argument, and it's weaker than straw at this point, is that all games are incomplete and as a result those things don't make civ incomplete. The reality, however, is that no "AAA" title I'm aware of and probably a lot of games that are far from such lofty publicity do not and did not share those same issues on release, or ever after release.

Your continued insistence on problems with this game that have been shown on VIDEO FOOTAGE, and CONFIRMED on the very forum you're typing being "subjective" is bordering ludicrous at this point...or more likely crossed it. Whether you want to admit the issues merit incompletion or not, THEY ARE ISSUES. If you can't even grasp that, there's not much point in arguing. I'll call on your wisdom when I want an escape...a powerful escape...from reality (actually an enviable skill).

Anyway, so far your best evidence is to point toward other titles that had less of the above problems on release. That isn't a strong defense of your point. Nobody wins a debate by saying "that's subjective, so I disagree". If you can't do better you're out of ground to stand on.

I'd let TMIT handle that one, as I seriously doubt that's what he's talking about. Believe it's more to do with the lack of shortcuts and hotkeys. He clearly also says that the problems existed in CivIV, and those did not (well, they did a bit).

Well, I didn't want to get into ALL of the control issues, it would take up a page by itself. The lack of hotkeys/shortcuts (and ANY effort to allow them AT ALL by firaxis) certainly frustrates me most, but those 3 examples provided are excellent ones for making my point also; they are all examples of controls getting in the way of playing the actual game...something that is *not* the hallmark of a good game, and can completely break settings like XOTM, HoF, and MP. And yes, I've been arguing against UI issues since civ IV. Some of them fortunately did not make it into civ V, but too many did (and there are new ones). I haven't hidden this opinion from the developers; the resource allocation apparent in patches since release shows how the combo of 2k/firaxis prioritizes gameplay. They do not care if the controls work properly and have not cared for years. That is why, in BTS 3.19, when issues with alt-selecting units then declaring on someone w/o prompt because the game "thinks" you're still holding alt, being unable to control/shift click consistently, etc. were still known, the developers chose to 1. Introduce a bug in overflow. Again. 2. Patch the spread culture espionage mission, which they broke in 3.17. 3. Speaking of 3.17, they again felt it more necessary to mess with barb galley spawn rate (and not playtest it) than to fix the controls. Same for 3.13 and other things, on and on. The control problems are pre-BTS; even an expansion couldn't convince them to fix a known UI issue (of course this same UI was programmed to lie to players outright starting from the warlords expansion; most people don't seem to care for some reason). To sum it up, I have SERIOUS issues with the franchise's priority with its controls, AND with the community tolerance of what amounts to failure of a gameplay 101 aspect. They've the UI on such a low priority that they felt it more important to patch away an obscure mechanic that top players were abusing rather than fixing the keyboard shortcuts they claimed existed.

The "fix" in civ V was to eliminate many of those shortcuts entirely :sad:. Every person in support of this is another person who helps make civ V's expansions and civ VI, if that happens, equally bad. It's not realistic to expect me or any competitive/competent player to tolerate that nicely. It's a serious insult to gaming that CONSOLE controls are superior to civ's, on the simple basis that they consistently work X_X.

People arguing in favor of civ V on that list are the exact people who have played a strong role in its inability to actually compete with those titles. As a civfanatic, that angers me. Lethargic fans who like pretty pictures and only care about sandbox come hell or high water are killing this franchise. This is supposedly a STRATEGY game, why are controls in the way? Why are new civs being added while the core strategic balance elements are off-kilter? WHY, in a STRATEGY game, is it so difficult to pass a turn? Too few care, and as a result good titles like starcraft 2 blow civ V to pieces on every objective measure.

If this game being nominated as top pc game of the year isn't proof that PC gaming is on the decline and in a sad state generally I don't know what is.

Everyone: Take a Valium. Some of you may need two.

A quest for defining the word "Unfinished"
By Deep_Blue :D

It seems that there is no agreement on the definition of "Unfinished Games" in the first place, thats why the discussion will never end.. I am a little surprised myself because I considered that "Civ5 is unfinished product" as a simple basic fact that is proven over and over and was addressed as a "Rush release".

Now lets define unfinished product:

1- A product that doesn't meet the advertisements: As TheMeInTeam explained before unfinished game is a game that was advertised for something and doesn't fulfill what the advertisements promised.

2- Misleading minimum Specifications:
Also as TheMeInTeam explained it is a game that doesn't respect the advertised minimum specifications.

3- Performance Issues: it was noted that even with PC specifications higher than the recommended specifications the game still have performance issues specially on huge map. Also it was noted that performance tends to degrade the longer you play and the more loads you make. This cant be justified, it is a major flaw in the game code and I suspect it has to do with un-efficient memory usage or maybe memory leakage.

lets look at a one Example: Late game takes forever to progress
this guy has very good PC and he still have a problem with performance. now tell me that his PC doesnt meet recommended Specifications :confused:

4- Killer Bugs: too many bugs to the extent of making the game unplayable for a noticeable number of players, even if you dont notice the bugs yourself that doesn't mean they do not exist. IF the bugs are killer for a sample of players (even if it was small sample) then thats means the game was not tested enough before release.

And again check these:
Bug List
Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs

5- Unfinished UI: bad UI design is not necessarily "Unfinished", but a UI that has functionality issues is "unfinished". There are many issues that make me feel that this was indeed a rush release for example:
- awful controls
- basic diplomacy info like relationships between leaders are not there.
- you cant tell if the leader hates you or likes you (and why).
- missing tooltips
- Very little tooltip info when you mouse over anything
- shallow civilopedia missing a lot of in game info (it is like they didnt have time to write everything)
- no info screen for tradable resources.
- No info screen for wonders where you can check who built them.
- Lack of info after you finish the game and no game replay.
- You cant know the techs that the AI have

These are just few examples, I can go on and on. It is obvious that the UI was released in a rush like they had a deadline that they cant change so they released the game in hope to fix it with patches later.

6- Bad AI programming: not bugs but a perfectly running piece of code that lacks testing and contains many programming logical errors (logical errors are not detected in the debugging phase they are detected in the testing phase). I played ME2 unpatched and there were no AI issues for me, while in CIV5 it seems that the AI programming was too shallow to a degree that makes it "Unfinished program" Due to Lack of testing.

Thats it for now

Here, fixed it for you.

A quest for defining the word PC Game

It seems that there is no agreement on the definition of "PC Games" in the first place, thats why the discussion will never end.. I am a little surprised myself because I considered that "Civ5 is PC Game" as a simple basic fact that is proven over and over and was addressed as a "Rush release".

Now lets define PC Game:

1- A product that doesn't meet the advertisements: As TheMeInTeam explained before unfinished game is a game that was advertised for something and doesn't fulfill what the advertisements promised.

Also as TheMeInTeam explained it is a game that doesn't respect the advertised minimum specifications.

3- Performance Issues: it was noted that even with PC specifications higher than the recommended specifications the game still have performance issues specially on huge map. Also it was noted that performance tends to degrade the longer you play and the more loads you make. This cant be justified, it is a major flaw in the game code and I suspect it has to do with un-efficient memory usage or maybe memory leakage.

lets look at a one Example: Late game takes forever to progress
this guy has very good PC and he still have a problem with performance. now tell me that his PC doesnt meet recommended Specifications :confused:

4- Killer Bugs: too many bugs to the extent of making the game unplayable for a noticeable number of players, even if you dont notice the bugs yourself that doesn't mean they do not exist. IF the bugs are killer for a sample of players (even if it was small sample) then thats means the game was not tested enough before release.

And again check these:
Bug List
Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs

5- PC Game UI: bad UI design is not necessarily "Unfinished", but a UI that has functionality issues is "unfinished". There are many issues that make me feel that this was indeed a rush release for example:
- awful controls
- basic diplomacy info like relationships between leaders are not there.
- you cant tell if the leader hates you or likes you (and why).
- missing tooltips
- Very little tooltip info when you mouse over anything
- shallow civilopedia missing a lot of in game info (it is like they didnt have time to write everything)
- no info screen for tradable resources.
- No info screen for wonders where you can check who built them.
- Lack of info after you finish the game and no game replay.
- You cant know the techs that the AI have

These are just few examples, I can go on and on. It is obvious that the UI was released in a rush like they had a deadline that they cant change so they released the game in hope to fix it with patches later.

6- Bad AI programming: not bugs but a perfectly running piece of code that lacks testing and contains many programming logical errors (logical errors are not detected in the debugging phase they are detected in the testing phase). I played ME2 unpatched and there were no AI issues for me, while in CIV5 it seems that the AI programming was too shallow to a degree that makes it "PC Game program" Due to Lack of testing.

Thats it for now

TMIT, thanks for posting a lot of interesting factual information and informed analysis. It's refreshing to see someone back up their arguments with objective points rather than just mushy "I feel like X so it's all subjective" stuff. :thumbsup:

It's amazing to me that you've gone 92 hours without recognizing the control flaws/issues, but then again it's amazing to me that people aren't aware of them in civ IV, too. You need only to watch one of my "let's plays" on youtube to find multiple examples of UI issues such that I'm attempting to do something and can't do it, the game does something different from what I ordered, etc. Laughably, that is an IMPROVEMENT from civ IV though, where units FORCIBLY moved at start-turn even if you tried to cancel their orders, workers would move next to barbs ALREADY in sight and THEN blow their remaining move on a tile improvement, and one could declare war on an AI without prompt (an instant loss in XOTM and HoF formats).
I have to say I have not noticed a lot of UI game control issues in Civ IV, but then I do everything with the mouse that can be done with the mouse. It seems that a lot of your UI issues have to do with keyboard shortcuts, pre-programmed actions, and automations. I am not saying that flaws there are acceptable, but if that is where most UI issues are, that may explain why they have not been apparent to some (maybe many) players like me who are mouse players?

If this game being nominated as top pc game of the year isn't proof that PC gaming is on the decline and in a sad state generally I don't know what is.
PC strategy gaming is expanding its audience beyond the true or hardcore strategy players, so perhaps the decline is inevetiable. Tic-tac-toe (is that noughts and crosses for the Brits?) is a great game ... in kindergarten!

dV

Everyone: Take a Valium. Some of you may need two.
Yet others need it IV. ;)

dV

wow you are very cleaver and you have magnificent talent in discussion, what a talented man you are :p

Seriously, man...you're describing almost every PC game at release. :)

That's because the amazon reviews are made by a bunch of Civ IV players. Professional reviewers go into Civ V and review it for what it is - a stand alone Civ game. They're not going into it expecting Civ IV.5, which is what most of the detractors are doing/have done.
That's such a condensed pile of BS, I hope you don't think we're going to take that seriously.

Moderator Action: Stay civil or don't post.

I really like Civ 5, and liked Civ 4 and Civ 3. Never played the others. I will continue to play and enjoy Civ 5 for some time to come.

That said, I absolutely agree with everything TMIT has said. This game has seriously frustrating problems. Some problems that have been around since at least Civ 4. Some problems that were eventually fixed in Civ 4 and then were re-introduced in Civ 5. Maddening!

New Vegas has a boatload of problems as well.

Having spent a great deal of time playing each of the 4 games on that list, I echo the sentiment that it should absolutely go to ME2 or SC2. I don't really care which. All four are good games, even very good games, but Civ 5 and New Vegas just have way too many show-stopping problems to overlook.

That's such a condensed pile of BS, I hope you don't think we're going to take that seriously.

He's not that far off. I never, ever listen to amazon reviews. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts most of those 'negative' reviews, simply have an under-powered PC and can't run the game well.

Here, fixed it for you.
:rotfl:

If you think that the definition of PC game is:

charon2122 said:
A quest for defining the word "PC Game"

Now lets define PC Game:

1- A product that doesn't meet the advertisements:

3- Performance Issues:

4- Killer Bugs:

5- PC Game UI:

6- Bad AI programming:

then most certainly, Civ V is a PC Game (in fact, it might be the quinessential PC Game by that definition! :eek:

You may be hoist by your own petard here. ;)

Civ V on its own merits is a good game.
Uh oh, now we need a page long post defining a good game! :mischief:

This won't be it. :whew:

But does it make sense to judge Civ V in a vacuum? In the absence of context, and in the absence of reasonalble expectations? Was a 486 processor a good processor, on its own merits? Even if that were true when it was new, would that be true now? No, because advancements have been made, so expectations are higher, and rightly so.

Or take a car of the year from say 20 or 30 years ago. A great car on its own merits in its day. But today we expect radial tires, seat belts, air bags, fuel injection, low emissions, high mileage, advanced music system, (and luxuries like nav system, back seat DVD for the kids, etc.).

So I don't see how an assessent of Civ V as a "good game" makes any sense out of context.

The question is whether Civ V is a good game in the context of stratgy gaming in general and the Civ series in particular.

dV

All I know is, I have had far less problems with Civ V than most PC releases. In fact, I haven't experienced any serious bugs at all. :)

But, sorry you hate the game. :(
Moderator Action: You are not allowed to flame other members.

then most certainly, Civ V is a PC Game (in fact, it might be the quinessential PC Game by that definition! :eek:

You may be hoist by your own petard here. ;)

Uh oh, now we need a page long post defining a good game! :mischief:

This won't be it. :whew:

But does it make sense to judge Civ V in a vacuum? In the absence of context, and in the absence of reasonalble expectations? Was a 486 processor a good processor, on its own merits? Even if that were true when it was new, would that be true now? No, because advancements have been made, so expectations are higher, and rightly so.

Or take a car of the year from say 20 or 30 years ago. A great car on its own merits in its day. But today we expect radial tires, seat belts, air bags, fuel injection, low emissions, high mileage, advanced music system, (and luxuries like nav system, back seat DVD for the kids, etc.).

So I don't see how an assessent of Civ V as a "good game" makes any sense out of context.

dV

Now lets define PC Game:

1- A product that doesn't meet the advertisements:

3- Performance Issues:

4- Killer Bugs:

5- Unfinished UI:

6- Bad AI programming:

Priceless :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom