Leader Graphics Modding Guide - Sample Mod

Civilization V: Leader Graphics Modding Guide 2016-10-05

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
A series of video tutorials on modding 3D Leader art. Enjoy!

Note: Texture Packs for the Civ V 3D Leaders are available below so the Texmod extraction and renaming in Part 2 are no longer necessary.
In other words, you can ignore from 5:00 - 13:30 of Part 2 and use the pre-extracted Texture Packs. :)

Resource Links:
Nexus Buddy 2
TexMod
SageThumbs - will let you view DDS thumbnails in Windows Explorer
Resulting Mod from Part 3

Texture Packs for all 43 Civilization V Leaders:
Ahmad al-Mansur DX9 Textures
Alexander DX9 Textures
Ashurbanipal DX9 Textures
Askia DX9 Textures
Attila DX9 Textures
Augustus Caesar DX9 Textures
Bismarck DX9 Textures
Boudicca DX9 Textures
Casimir DX9 Textures
Catherine DX9 Textures
Darius DX9 Textures
Dido DX9 Textures
Elizabeth DX9 Textures
Enrico Dandolo DX9 Textures
Gajah Mada DX9 Textures
Gandhi DX9 Textures
Ghengis Khan DX9 Textures
Gustavus Adolphus DX9 Textures
Harun al-Rashid DX9 Textures
Haile Selassie DX9 Textures
Harald Bluetooth DX9 Textures
Hiawatha DX9 Textures
Isabella DX9 Textures
Kamehameha DX9 Textures
Maria I DX9 Textures
Maria Theresa DX9 Textures
Montezuma DX9 Textures
Napoleon DX9 Textures
Nebuchadnezzar DX9 Textures
Oda Nobunaga DX9 Textures
Pacal DX9 Textures
Pachacuti DX9 Textures
Pedro DX9 Textures
Pocatello DX9 Textures
Ramesses DX9 Textures
Ramkhamhaeng DX9 Textures
Sejong DX9 Textures
Shaka DX9 Textures
Suleiman DX9 Textures
Theodora DX9 Textures
Washington DX9 Textures
William DX9 Textures
Wu Zetian DX9 Textures

All Texture Packs on Google Drive

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what happens if you transplant Theodora somewhere, given she's reclining.

She'll be reclining whichever scene you put her in. If you put her in another scene with no couch she'll just hover in space. There are quite a lot of combinations of leader animations and background scenes that won't work, but they will also be quite a few that will.

Part 2 is up! :band:

Last edited:
Good HEAVENS that looks like a lot of work...
Would it be remiss to ask if, um, you might already have all the leaderscene DDS files extracted and renamed?

Good HEAVENS that looks like a lot of work...
Would it be remiss to ask if, um, you might already have all the leaderscene DDS files extracted and renamed?

Yeah, the TexMod save and renaming is a bit of hassle unfortunately. I've haven't done them all - only a couple. I can upload them as I do them.

I've just found that if you install SageThumbs you can preview the TexMod output DDS files which will speed up the renaming part.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• sage_thumbs.jpg
    sage_thumbs.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 7,293
Part 3 is now uploaded. You can download the resulting mod here.

This is an amazing tutorial. I need to get back into 3D modelling, see what i can do.

Oda looks badass in the first part of the tutorial.

You know, a slightly altered Boudicca from part 3 could make for a pretty convincing Tomyris from Massagetae.

I would definitely say upload them to the CFC database and I then can link them from the opening post. Eventually it would be great if the DX9 textures for all 43 leaders were available to download then at least people can play around with reskinning the vanilla leaders if nothing else. Some leaders definitely have more potential for reskinning and minor mesh tweaks than others.

I'll see about doing that.

Looking at the thumbnail for the first video, with Oda Nobunaga on Askia's background, how cool would it be to have each leader have a peace background and a war background (war backgrounds having burning buildings of the artstyle of whatever civ the leader is at war with). Probably impossible, but awesome anyhow.

Completely inspired and motivated! Thanks Deliverator. Can't wait to get busy with graphics mods.

The "Modbuddy-tweak, reload save game, test loop" will be a huge time saver for me in the future.

Because WorldBuilder will not run while Civ 5 was running, I incorrectly presumed ModBuddy could not run while Civ 5 was running, as well. But they can both execute harmoniously simultaneously. I learn something new each day. Or at least unlearn some self created mis-information. LOL In either case, thanks for the example videos of a better modder in action.

That link doesn't work for me...

Top Bottom