1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V Special Edition Announced

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

2k potentially misleading it's loyal customers/fans? Surely you jest Sir! Our most beloved company wouldn't dare to even think of that dastardly possibility. After all, they have our best possible interests at heart. All the forum postings and web data show that...... Oh, wait. Terribly sorry. I was channel surfing and my remote died on a televangelist channel.. We will now resume our normal programming.

2. jrregan

jrregan Chieftain

Whoa! That is simply NOT right. When Steam advertised it's Deluxe version, I researched and didn't find indications that other Deluxe packages would be offered. www.civilization5.com's website's Pre-Order system didn't indicate any options but the basic edition. EBGames.com, my usually pre-order favorite dealer, also didn't offer any Deluxe version. A reasonable buyer's conclusion is that the pre-release package slate has been finalized. Now, I find out that 2kgames (Firaxis?) knew they were going to offer other pre-release Deluxe versions but chose NOT to inform it's customers? Bad business decision. In fact, a VERY bad business decision.

Unfortunately, Steams pre-release methodology bills with it's pre-release, EBGames.com does not bill until games ship, so I can't cancel the Steam pre-release. My desired package can't be changed now, bummer. I've always purchased the grandiose releases of the games that I love, which is a good deal for all. Publishers make good bank on more expensive games, so upselling is a good deal for them.

By not declaring that other deluxe caliber packages were in the works, 2kgames (again Firaxis?) has achieved the following: 1.) I will never purchase another pre-release from 2kgames, 2.) (withdrawn)I will never purchase another pre-release Steam game(withdrawn). Unfortunately pre-release purchases usually drive accounting figures to determine success, failure, and life of a game. Everybody will be hurt by this unwise (perhaps even unethical) marketing decision.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

You should still be able to cancel the steam deal and order the special edition from your next retailer.

4. jrregan

jrregan Chieftain

I'll query Steam and see if they allow it. thanks.

EDIT: Query submitted.
    EDIT: I was surprised to see that Steam did refund (and quite quickly) the Pre-Order. The standard "We don't normally refund, but's it's a pre-order" disclaimer attached. Steam's a solid player and I withdraw my criticisms.

5. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Warlord

I 100% agree with you in my opinion I hate the way Firaxis is going they lost the soul of Civilization. (In case you guys didn't know Sid really doesn't do anything)

I think Firaxis needs a new publisher or reorganization, If I'm not mistaken I remember a few years ago EA offered Firaxis to come back I hated the idea but now since EA has changed it public image and letting it's studios do what they want with little interference and sounds great.

6. Hipshot

Hipshot Chieftain

Yea, they changed the public image...
    You really think they let their studios do whatever they please, with just little interference?

7. valamas

valamas Prince

.... back to EB to change my pre-order!

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Well... how expensive depends! Are they pewter? I could see the price then... possilbly. If they are just tin or aluminum, I would say that it would be overpriced. All it says is metal figurines though (and when something is pewter, they usually say it up front).

9. QuadraQ

QuadraQ Chieftain

I'm going to buy this version because I'm a Civ nut, but I'm very disconcerted that in spending $100 I'm not getting everything available at release. This should be a superset of all other versions. Please Firaxis/2K - Please include a download code for the Digital Deluxe extras in the Special Edition. It's the right thing to do!

10. valamas

valamas Prince

Ditto! I own every box from CIV1. So i have to buy this, and at the risk of missing out on the extra.

11. Warl0rd

Warl0rd Chieftain

:lol: Firaxis and 2K really know how to suck the money out of stupid customers

some of u guys are the perfect customer for them
    "I have to buy Civ5 because I have all Civ games" proved

12. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

This is going to be awsome

13. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Reaper does make some of the best miniatures if you're into table-top gaming. I'm calculating this deal as about $30-35 for the minis, $50 for the game new, and $20 for the remainder stuff + packaging.

My primary consideration is that they can the internet activation. I don't care for that "system requirement".