Civilization V Special Edition Announced

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
2K Games today announced Civilization V Special Edition. In addition to the Civ5 game, this special edition contains collectable items and exclusive access to behind-the-scenes content. The goodies include the following:
  • 5 metal figurines based on units from Civilization V and manufactured by Reaper Miniatures
  • 2 disc CD soundtrack of game score selections
  • DVD “Behind the Scenes at Firaxis on Civilization V”
  • 176 page hardcover art book

This edition will release at the same time as regular edition and is priced at $99.99 in the US, 59.99 GBP in UK, 79.99 EUR in other European countries, and AUS$129 in Australia.

Very beautiful package, but the most interesting thing to me is the MECH Miniature?! :)

Since when there are Mechs in "vanilla"?? civ ;)

Do you think it's related to the core game, a scenario or the mysterious bonus unit?

Double the price for 5 little miniatures, a couple of behind the scenes CDs, and an art book?

Well, I suppose everyone is free to spend their money as they desire, but that seems like a bit of a ripoff to me. Whatever happened to the Civ4 special edition, which came with bonus features and cost nothing extra? :confused:

The art book alone would sell for $30+ on its own, and miniatures tend to be pricey. Hardly a rip-off.

Limited edition is not only about having extra stuff in the mind of collectors (which I'm not though), this is all about "pride". Like "I have SOMETHING you don't!"

Otherwise, why some people buy and keep multiple limited editions in order to resell them at abusive price... and people falls into this booby trap. This is all about pride, forsooth!

*fleeing lest getting a flame war :mischief:*

Yea, what is that mech? I'm guessing it's a scenario or mod shipping with the game?
I can't believe that vanilla will go so far as to introduce mechs?

A boxed special edition? My faith in Firaxis is now restored. They have not forgotten fans like myself who can't resist anything labeled Collector's, Limited, Special, Platinum, ect. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy Civ 5, but now I must. I loved the Civ 4 Gold edition with all its behind the scenes DVD and poster. Though I hope that mech is from a scenario.

Lets see the Units seem to be: Mech, Ancient Club warrior, Samurai, Roman Legion, some lightly armed swordsmen.

Mini's are expensive, and these seem like they won't break. And Art books tend to have expensive paper and ink. Not really for me, but if you like quality art books...

A boxed special edition? My faith in Firaxis is now restored. They have not forgotten fans like myself who can't resist anything labeled Collector's, Limited, Special, Platinum, ect. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy Civ 5, but now I must. I loved the Civ 4 Gold edition with all its behind the scenes DVD and poster. Though I hope that mech is from a scenario.

Yes the bling is nice and I think my wife will be buying this for my BDay on the 22nd Sept, as I like special editions too....but don't expect to get anything but a Steam installer in the game CD, I don't think 2K is going to change that at all.

CS

[Goes to CivFanatics]

[Sees news of a collectors edition]

[Screams out in joy]

Me: YES!!!

Thanks be to God that Firaxis has heard some of our prayers. Considering I've been dieing to see a tangible special edition since the Digital "Deluxe" version was announced, this is a godsend.

Now the only question I want to know is this: will this be available in South East Asia wherever the standard edition of Civ V can be bought?

"5 metal figurines based on units from Civilization V and manufactured by Reaper Miniatures"

Bleee...

"DVD “Behind the Scenes at Firaxis on Civilization V”"

Bleee...

Rest is cool.

:( Dammit! I'd already preordered CV before Easter! Then again, the only thing I'd be interested in is the soundtrack.

Lets see the Units seem to be: Mech, Ancient Club warrior, Samurai, Roman Legion, some lightly armed swordsmen.

The article on Gamestop says that "the five figurines are based on units from Civilization V and range from a marauding barbarian to a modern-day special ops rifleman to a far-future mech warrior. The collector's edition will also include a two-disc CD soundtrack, a "Behind the Scenes" DVD, and a 176-page hardcover art book."

:( Dammit! I'd already preordered CV before Easter! Then again, the only thing I'd be interested in is the soundtrack.

Unless 2K wants to be stupid and put in more pointless DRM you should be able to get them from the game files. I got all my civ3 music on my iPod :)(never really cared for Civ4 music).

While I have been arguing a lot that Babylon had no place in the deluxe edition (see multiple threads on this subject), I am quite puzzled as to why they would include it in the Steam deluxe edition and not be decent enough to put it in a 100$ package "special edition".

This game isn't out yet it already has like 3 versions. Can't wait for "Gold" and "Collection".

2K Games probably signed a contract with Steam that promises only Steam deluxe edition would have Babylon...

But sooner or later I think it will be available for separate purchase as addon, or bundled together with expansion pack...

Yes the bling is nice and I think my wife will be buying this for my BDay on the 22nd Sept, as I like special editions too....but don't expect to get anything but a Steam installer in the game CD, I don't think 2K is going to change that at all.

CS

Damn you're fortunate. :( You only have to wait 1 day in order to get the gift for free, while I would have to wait till Dec. 12th.

$100 for the deluxe version? What happened to the $69.99 we got a few months ago? :crazyeye: But yes, this version looks impressive.

Top Bottom