Civilization V Upcoming Patch Details Updated

Öjevind Lång;9987886 said:
I couldn't agree more. Oh, well. I'm currently having quite a bit of fun playing the unreconstructed Civ V. Elizabeth on a Terra map. Sounds like a cinch, but actually, the unwillingness of the AI to explore and settle outside the home continent makes the game harder, not easier. And less interesting. And I'm sure this is not due to a deliberate decision by the designers.

Just to honour you, I'll try to be nice to the city state of Dublin.
:lol:

AI more effective with building, moving, and using aircraft and anti-aircraft more effectively. (Added 12/3)

Lots of effectiveness in this one. :lol: It's like it's more effective at effectiveness... wait... uh screw it! :twitch:

Better nuke targeting by AI. (Added 12/3)

What!? They actually managed to use them in the first place!? :crazyeye: :lol:

# Increased city strength ramp-up based on technology. (Added 12/3)
# Catapults and Trebuchets now weaker against units but stronger VS cities, and reduced effectiveness of Archers & Crossbowmen (and their UUs) VS cities. (Added 12/3)
# Have culture cost for policies never go down (trading away cities to reduce culture cost exploit). (Added 12/3)
# Reduced effects of Forbidden Palace and Meritocracy (Happiness per city). (Added 12/3)
# Reduced points from Wonders & Cities, increased points for population. (Added 12/3)
# Reduced culture needed for first plot acquisition. (Added 12/3)
# New Building: Circus Maximus (National Wonder for happiness track). (Added 12/3)
# New Building: National Treasury (National Wonder for economic track). (Added 12/3)
# Unhappiness beyond a certain point breeds rebels within your empire, based on the number of cities a player has. (Added 12/3)
# Reduced amount of food needed for cities to grow at larger sizes. (Added 12/3)
# Tradition branch balance (Landed Elite and Monarchy improvements). (Added 12/3)
# Liberty branch balance (Settler training bonus now only applies to capital). (Added 12/3)
# Buildings can now no longer provide more Happiness than there is population in a city (wonders are excluded from this). (Added 12/3)
# 3 new additional Natural Wonders added to gameplay, with accompanying “rarity” code. (Added 12/3)
# Multiple Tech Tree tweaks to address “slingshot” tech exploits. (Added 12/3)
# Killing a barb inside a city-state's territory now gives a 5-turn buffer where there is no Influence intrusion penalty. (Added 12/3)
# Reduced and balanced combat bonuses. (Added 12/3)

Those are all very good! :yumyum:

Wonderful news. Yipee! But the 2K forums seem to have their share of flamers too. I loved this item: "I came here to get information from the horse's mouth, purposefully avoiding the hysterical crybabies at CivFanatics and the effete snobs at Apolyton."

By the way, the city state of Dublin and I are getting on all right. However, the only gift they have given me so far was a Brute. Yes, a Brute - not a Warrior. Being a filthy rich warmonger these days, I upgraded it to Rifleman and then sent it out to sack barbarian camps, something it can do indefinitely in the New World.

Öjevind Lång;9991342 said:
Wonderful news. Yipee! But the 2K forums seem to have their share of flamers too. I loved this item: "I came here to get information from the horse's mouth, purposefully avoiding the hysterical crybabies at CivFanatics and the effete snobs at Apolyton."

Hey! At least we are not "effete snobs"!:p

Great! I was wondering if it would be released before the new DLC. I love the tactical changes coming out for the AI. Although, my next game will be at Prince level it should be more challenging.

Not sure about this though. •Buildings can now no longer provide more Happiness than there is population in a city (wonders are excluded from this).

Happiness is hard to keep at a high level. I will be interested to see how this works out, in a game where luxury resources are scarce.

This will hurt the Greeks. •Lowered combat value of Horseman and Companion Cavalry.

These should fit into the game much better.
•Catapults and Trebuchets now weaker against units but stronger VS cities.
•Reduced effectiveness of Archers & Crossbowmen (and their UUs) VS cities.

I am optimistic about these changes. With all the bashing going on about this game, something needs to be done to cool some heads, including my own.

Great! I was wondering if it would be released before the new DLC. I love the tactical changes coming out for the AI. Although, my next game will be at Prince level it should be more challenging.

Not sure about this though. •Buildings can now no longer provide more Happiness than there is population in a city (wonders are excluded from this).

Happiness is hard to keep at a high level. I will be interested to see how this works out, in a game where luxury resources are scarce.

This will hurt the Greeks. •Lowered combat value of Horseman and Companion Cavalry.

These should fit into the game much better.
•Catapults and Trebuchets now weaker against units but stronger VS cities.
•Reduced effectiveness of Archers & Crossbowmen (and their UUs) VS cities.

I am optimistic about these changes. With all the bashing going on about this game, something needs to be done to cool some heads, including my own.

The new rebellion/civil war possibility would not be a real threat witout a happiness nerf. Besides, there is something bizarre about building structures creating more happiness than here are people in a city. That promotes cityspamming in a way I don't like.

Öjevind Lång;9999366 said:
The new rebellion/civil war possibility would not be a real threat witout a happiness nerf. Besides, there is something bizarre about building structures creating more happiness than here are people in a city. That promotes cityspamming in a way I don't like.

Perhaps your right, but I am more concerned about the happiness the AI always has. I would rather have them build more cities. If they did the military conflicts might get more interesting. City states will become more important with their luxury resources. But the new rebellion scheme says you have to have -20 for a rebellion to start, not sure how easily that will become a reality. I had mine down to -8, and I thought, I would never come back out of it, imagine -20 and a severre combat penalty!

All in all a reduction in happiness may lead to less cities, and less inclination to explore more continents, which ultimately leads to tremendous boredom. Civ has always been about expansion and exploration. I am going to try this game with the new patch, but I remain skeptical about the effects of these new happiness rules.

The patch is out! New version is 1.0.1.135... Wait, what was the previous one? Wasn't it 1.0.2.something???

The patch is out! New version is 1.0.1.135... Wait, what was the previous one? Wasn't it 1.0.2.something???

I turned steam on it downloaded the patch. Not sure what the previous version was.

Öjevind Lång;10017720 said:
It was 1.00.621. The new one is 1.01.135.

yeah thanks, I figured that...

Thank God people are actually being positive about CiV now. Maybe I can about it without old veterans yelling at me about the good old days. CiV is fun, they just like complaining, and then playing it again, and then complain again and wonder why the game didn't turn into Civ IV overnight.

Top Bottom