Civilization V Upcoming Patch Details Updated

This looks FANTASTIC! Big thumbs up from me, Firaxis. I've actually been loving Civ V since the day it came out, and version 1.0.0.621 has been a huge improvement over the original 1.0.0.7. The changes above will probably make it so I rarely visit these forums because I'll just be playing Civ V the whole time. :)

I am hoping, though, (token negative comment coming), that they improve the invasion AI. Like others have said, water seems to be basically safe territory, which makes the game too easy on water maps. However, I'm very excited to see them start grabbing land off their own islands!

I like a number of the individual innovations in Civ 5, but as a whole it seems rather slow and unexciting. The terrain attributes have been criticized. I don't feel enthusiastic about pursuing any of the victory conditions. The city states seem to be merely another way of spending money.
I think the problem is that the AI doesn't seem enthusiastic about actually playing the game either, mostly preferring to just sit there acting like a two year old trying to get you to attack it. And if you did attack it, you would utterly crush them, so why are they trying to get you to do it? There are times when the AI clearly notices you are up to something, and tells you so, and then just sits there and watches you do it. Gee I have built all but one spaceship part and now here is the player's entire army standing at my border. I guess they have come to watch the launch. I have had a tech lead, but I really don't think building any sort of air force or air defense would have been at all useful. One of the freaking city states next to them had a plane, but not the AI superpower! It's kind of hard to get excited about beating an opponent that doesn't seem to be even trying to win.

I wonder when they're going to fix the swimming Stonehenge problem. That is of importance to me, since I get to see the Stonehenge drowned in the English Channel each and every day on my map!

Only???
- what about the huge map game crash/freeze??? None of us has finished a game over sandard map till now!!!!!
- what about the time beetween turns in big/huge maps late game (3-4 min!!!) ???

There are times when the AI clearly notices you are up to something, and tells you so, and then just sits there and watches you do it. Gee I have built all but one spaceship part and now here is the player's entire army standing at my border. I guess they have come to watch the launch.

:lol::lol::lol:

Chuckles aside, the changes to the AI sound great, especially if it actually tries harder to win diplo and culture games. That would definitely keep the pressure on at the end of the game.

Well I'll be. They've actually decided to show you what the AI attitude is and why. Diplomacy is no longer completely opaque.

I think that this is massively encouraging. Firaxis has shown that not only are they willing to make minor AI/bug/balance improvements, they're willing to do an almost 180° on design decisions if the community widely condemns them.

I think with a few more patches, Civ V will be in such a state where it would have provoked a much more positive reaction had it been released like that.

Now nerf the imbalances such as ICS and Maritime food, and we're looking at a pretty solid game here. :)

I dont understand why everyone keeps complaining about the ICS and Maritime food. Just change the settings. I play on a Large map with 22 AI (using mods) and 5-7 city states. You may get 1 or 2 maritime ones. The default for city states is 20!! If you just lower the city states and increase the AI the game becomes very balanced. You actually have to compete to be allies with a city state. It's usually too crowded to do ICS unless you use a horseman rush or something (but that's the combat AI...a different topic). Give it a try you might have fun with it...

* Only allow one upgrade per unit from a goody hut.

Nooo! My medieval tanks! Nooo!

DIPLO

* AI's attitude towards you is now visible in the diplo screen and diplo drop-down.
* Added info tooltip for an AI leader's mood. Lists things that are making an AI player happy/upset.
* New diplo system: Declaration of Friendship (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
* New diplo system: Denounce (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
* New custom leader responses (Serious Expansion Warning, Aggressive Military, Luxury Exchange, Borders Exchange, Gift Request).

Looks like, by the mighty will of the angry mob they're turning the diplomacy back to Civ4... Not that it's a bad thing or anything.

Reworks to the diplo system sounds very good, but it would be nice to know exactly what those "repercussions" for Declarations of Friendship/Denouncements might entail. It's not like the Civlopedia will ever explain anything...

Could they also change the Ottoman UA to something.... well... not as terrible?

Gee I have built all but one spaceship part and now here is the player's entire army standing at my border. I guess they have come to watch the launch.
Lol, you're right. They came to watch the launch. :lol:

I think the diplomacy changes are excellent. Good job Firaxis!

Is this patch out? If so, does anyone know what the new version number is?

Thanks. :crazyeye:

Just wish they would fix research overflow :/
:wavey: Welcome to CFC forums. :)

How about:

1. Giving the option to skip the intro movie. (No, I don't want to have to change the code on my own as some forum members have discovered)
2. Speeding up the saved game load time.
3. Speeding up the time in between turns.
4. Option to reduce pretty graphics some more so that the game doesn't lag so much when playing even on a machine that exceeds the recommended specs.
5. More music selections that cycle during the game. Personally I preferred the previous Civs where they played music from different eras. It gave you the feeling of progress. Now it's just the same bland music through out the entire game.
6. Get rid of auto embarking. This is the dumbest thing in this entire game. So a unit can "walk" on water? It reminds me of Call to Power when they had amphibious tanks as a future tech.
7. Make the AI forget about the past after a few turns. Catherine and Montezuma have been "Hostile" for over 600 turns or 2,000 years because of a war I had with both and I didn't even take any of their cities, just roughed up their units a little bit.

I'd say playability is the biggest thing for this game. Spending 2 to three minutes in between turns is maddening and won't make me wan't to come back to play with this beast ever again. Instead of just "1 more turn" it's more like "God, not one more freakin turn."

I dont understand why everyone keeps complaining about the ICS and Maritime food.

People complain about just about everything, so why not?

Some people should stick to playing Civ IV or something else.

I've been enjoying Civ 5 since it released and I'm glad to see it getting patched and improved to make it even more enjoyable.

One thing I'd like to see them add is a way to keep track of where final destinations are when having multiple units heading to the same area. It's frustrating when I am having them all go attack several cities, and I can't remember exactly where the final destination is, and all of a sudden, I am redoing the route of a particular unit(s) several times.

They need to adjust route-to mode as well, because the one-unit-per-tile limit causes a route-to by a worker to be interrupted, which also causes alot of headache when you are building roads to network your empire. It'd be nice to be able to have the worker units be able to work together to finish various tasks faster, such as having two units meeting in the middle when running a route-to command, instead of getting interrupted.

Path making isn't very smart this particular command either. They seem to take the longest route, and don't directly connect cities. For example. I want to connect two cities in a direct route, however, in the middle and a little farther to the right was a city-state that I was allied with. When I chose to route-to my city, it created a route that went east to my capital, then south to the city-where it's route-to command was interrupted because it couldn't complete the route. It was either conquer the city-state, or manually create a road to create the route I wanted. I ended up conquering the city-state because manually creating the road was too tedious, and I had more important matters to attend to (war with Rome lol) They need to allow you to choose exactly what route you want them to take so that you can create the exact route you want.

I also agree with Leuf when it comes to the AI lacking any enthusiasm whatsoever. They also seem to have some weird ideas when it comes to what you are doing. Catherine sent one of it's units out to explore, and I had a load of combat units sitting at my borders on the other side of the continent. When her single unit reached my side and the units, she commented that I had surrounded her army and asked if I wanted to attack her. Seriously? you're the one who came to me. Out of idiocy, I attacked and wiped her off the face of the planet. :D

I am still loving this game though. Not having to create units for every city to fortify really opens up the game so you can focus on other matters, like beating England to the Great Wall :D

I do love the one-unit-per-tile limit as well. It really brings a deeper level of strategy to the game, and finally treating ranged units as they really are is perfect! I love the embark ability. It's nice to be able to explore other continents much sooner in the game.

So far, I am really loving this game, and I can see the potential, once they work out some of the quirks and get a couple expansion packs under their belt.

Top Bottom