Civilization V Upcoming Patch Details Updated

Its quite simple... you trade 30 turns worth of marbles for 200 gold, but the goods are all shipped upon reciept of cash. In order for your civ to once again have enough marbles to keep people happy every turn, it will take you 30 turns to make up the loss in your inventories. Meanwhile, the civ who sent you their gold has the shipment of marbles, an inventory that will suffice to satisfy their people for 30 turns.

Contracts in real life can be made to work this way.

In game terms, you simply do not cancel the deal until it expries in 30 turns, even if either party is eliminated. A small tweak to create balance and prevent abuse.

Yes, this would help to that "exploit", but it's quite counter-intuitive and cumbersome ad hoc-solution. It's hard to believe in that kind of "inventory" when there isn't one. I'm not sure if that exploit is so bad after all. The AI could use it too, and it already uses very similar exploit of making research agreement just before declaring war.

Way to take my post out of context.
Out of context? Nonsense.

Your "solution" to maritime city states is basically to mostly remove city states from the game.
That isn't a solution; it still doesn't make maritime city states less overpowered relative to cultural or military city states. It just means that whoever is near the maritime states gets a big bonus, and everyone else doesn't.

I'll completely agree that the game is harder if you play with no city states, but that isn't a balance solution.

And ICS is a problem even without Maritime city states, because of the constant marginal unhappiness per city (2) and the punitive rate of increase of food requirements for larger cities (size 12 city takes ~5x as much cumulative excess food as a size 6 city).

unless you use a horseman rush or something (but that's the combat AI...a different topic)
Its not an AI problem its a stat problem. Horseman stats are ridiculous, they come too early and they're too strong and have too high a movement rate. Reduce to strength 10 or 11 and movement 3, and make horses rarer.

Its quite simple... you trade 30 turns worth of marbles for 200 gold, but the goods are all shipped upon reciept of cash. In order for your civ to once again have enough marbles to keep people happy every turn, it will take you 30 turns to make up the loss in your inventories. Meanwhile, the civ who sent you their gold has the shipment of marbles, an inventory that will suffice to satisfy their people for 30 turns.

In game terms, you simply do not cancel the deal until it expries in 30 turns, even if either party is eliminated. A small tweak to create balance and prevent abuse.
:goodjob: Seems like a no-brainer to me. And the best part, it would be trivial to code (probably simply remove a single if statement).

Instead of just "1 more turn" it's more like "God, not one more freakin turn."
:lol: Holy toledo! Although, for me anyway, if I get a decent start and ICS like hell the boredom isn't that unbearable. Augustus Caesar on Immortal level can be fun. Too bad any other strategy is boring. I did win a cultural victory on Emperor with only one city - but mostly I just clicked "end turn". :lol:

This is a big improvement to diplomacy. Hopefully, it's the start of a serious of patches, each fixing one major component of the game that needs improvement. It's nice to see the developers care enough to fix these things now instead of waiting for the first expansion.

I'm waiting for the first expansion. These patches are only going to do so much. Given the state of the game at release, only a major expansion will make it the game we all have come to expect from Sid.

I personally want more Bach in Civ V. I hope they will add also add more Beethoven.

-.-

That is a good change. I don't understand people who still rant about "walking on water". Seriously? Why, why is it bad? Why is it unrealistic? Do you not grasp the scale of the damn game? It's not third person shooter or something FFS where you control one guy who then transforms into a boat... JESUS WEED SMOKING CHRIST!!!

Agreed. The ability to transport is a good abstraction...and you do have to research it (and again for oceanic trips) so whats the problem? We don't move around trucks to supply bananas to cities either.

How about:

1. Giving the option to skip the intro movie. (No, I don't want to have to change the code on my own as some forum members have discovered)

If you are that upset about your problem, yet once you've been told of the solution you don't wish to use it, you, sir, are beyond help.

The coming patch is certainly a step in the right direction, but im afraid it wont be enough for diplomacy to work with only the small fixes they are delivering here. But im sure many of us are following the patches with interest since we all hope that one day we will have a game worthy of being called Civ5:)

I agree, some people looks for the details mean the game is not giocable in large and huge territories, u wait a long for a turn in lategame, u have to reorder a unit when pass from a city,is almost impossible to play the game on laptop and many many other problems that u can find in technical support and system requiements. After last patch, there are over 50 - 60 important changes that the fanatics wants/must fix. what about these fixes (crashes, freeze e.t.c.)???? Does they read about????

U can see also the bug reports treats what must be fix.
So, if next patch fix only these things, then........ we'll ask for next next patch!!!

Sometimes it doesn't work, but usually you can skip the intro movie by simply hitting the space bar. As soon as the game has loaded (which of course can take a while) you arrive at the main menu.

As for diplomacy, I'll be glad if the AI becomes a bit less secretive about why it likes you or not. As it is now, I have to take extensive notes to check who hates who and why, and so on. But I emphatically DO NOT pine for the almost broken diplomacy in Civ IV, where people simply could see how much they could abuse an AI civ before it finally reacted, and where one could exploit some civs to the hilt simply because of the silly way religion was implemented. In Civ V, one can only try try one's best and hope something doesn't sabotage one's diplomatic efforts, the way it often happens in real life.

By the way, I haven't been in these forums for some weeks. Having read a bit here today, I'm amazed that some people here (in the Civ V forums!) apparently still think it's worthwhile to simply post in order to declare that they think Civ V sucks and no patch can ever make it a good game and so on and so forth. We all heard you months ago.

Öjevind Lång;9914146 said:
Sometimes it doesn't work, but usually you can skip the intro movie by simply hitting the space bar. As soon as the game has loaded (which of course can take a while) you arrive at the main menu.

Just hit Esc when the intro movie starts and it will turn off the intro movie as soon as the game loads. For me it's usually right after "Welcome my son...", sometimes earlier...

Just hit Esc when the intro movie starts and it will turn off the intro movie as soon as the game loads. For me it's usually right after "Welcome my son...", sometimes earlier...

I usually get no farther than the pan-down to the top of the old guy's head. Hardly worth messing with the initialisation file when I'd have to wait for it to load anyhow. The Firaxis and Take2 etc advertisements take longer, actually.

Great, but still no horseman fix, still no Maritime city states fix, still no ICS fix.

Uhh, because they're horribly unbalanced? Because the game doesn't perform well as a strategy game if there is a single obviously optimal strategy?

I like Civ5, but these are balance no-brainers that need to be fixed.
Viktor, is that you? (Just checking ... ;))

Come on Firaxis you have such a LONG way to go to make this game worth the money and match the hype. Own up that you sold everyone a pig. Own up to us and then give us your road map (can be 2 years if you like) to completing the proper programming of the game.

Look forward to this map.
Don't hold you breath. I think confessions of one's own incompetence of this sort will only be made in confidence to a priest ... :mischief:

Hi, kcd! :lol: You are cracking me up and probably don't know it ... something gained in the translation! It is "30 turns worth of marbles", where marbles has this meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_(toy) that is funny. Maybe in this case, marbles are a strategic resource, as in Babes in Toyland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb0665AvMZI&feature=related :lol:

Seriously, I am not sure how you ship 30 turns worth of marble on the turn the gold is exchanged. You don't have a 30 turn stockpile of marble, you have a quarry that produces so much per turn. Are you saying that you create a debt obligation, that survives even a state of war?

And usually we are trading 30 turns of the surplus, so we still keep the bonus for ourselves. Are you suggesting a kind of trade where we don't get to keep surplus for ourselves, even when we have it?

dV

Seriously, I am not sure how you ship 30 turns worth of marble on the turn the gold is exchanged. You don't have a 30 turn stockpile of marble, you have a quarry that produces so much per turn. Are you saying that you create a debt obligation, that survives even a state of war?

And usually we are trading 30 turns of the surplus, so we still keep the bonus for ourselves. Are you suggesting a kind of trade where we don't get to keep surplus for ourselves, even when we have it?

dV

None of this would be necessary if the game designers hadn't lost their marbles in the first place. ;)

Any chances that a "skip intro movies" option will also be added?
I know you can adjust some configs for it.
But that doesn't really work for me and seems to get erased every time there is a patch.
I'ld be happy to stop having to some keyboard dancing before it finally gets to the opening menu.

# Policies must be selected the turn they are earned. (Added 11/18)
# Promotions must be selected the turn they are earned. If it’s as a result of combat, then the beginning of the next turn. (Added 11/18)

WHAT!? That's it for planning then... Limit the possibilities even more, please :rolleyes:

At least make it possible to go other branches than tradition/liberty/honor in ancient era then...

Top Bottom