Civilization V Upcoming Patch Details Updated

No hotseat,huh?
And some stupid nerfs for unit promotions and social policies?
No redesigned civilopedia?
This sucks.

this updates sucks very. this fix is the easiest way to fix current problem but for sure not the best way

""Multiple tweaks and bug fixes""

I think that we need more info about the tweaks and bugs fixes. If we see the treats "bug report", we'll se a lot (...tons!) of bugs, which of them 'll be fixed?

Anyone heard anything about animations being turned on for MP?

Wow, it seems that having a low cultural output at the start of the game may actually by advantageous then...

Wow, it seems that having a low cultural output at the start of the game may actually by advantageous then...

Good point. I guess this means Stonehenge really isn't a good thing anymore... I know for optimum it probably never was but I liked building it. Now it will become a severe detriment to anything but a cultural victory.

I think forcing taking social policies on the spot is the right move, but it needs the addition of an option to reset your social policy allocations. The downside could be sacrificing a number of turns of anarchy. Make it hurt so its a tough decision. Call it social upheaval or revolution or something. Or it could be tree by tree if you want to make it a slower more brutal process.

Merging the best of civics and social policy designs.

Or hell maybe its the super power of a great artist...because honestly culture bomb is pretty lame for how much work it is to get a great person

In any case...some option to modify or reset, with an appropriately gut wrenching cost.

It sounds good as far as it goes, but I think the game will need more fundamental changes than this.

I like a number of the individual innovations in Civ 5, but as a whole it seems rather slow and unexciting. The terrain attributes have been criticized. I don't feel enthusiastic about pursuing any of the victory conditions. The city states seem to be merely another way of spending money.

It is attractive to look at. The hex grid and the new combat system are improvements, despite the weird use of tactical elements in a strategic-level game.

The problem with all versions of Civ is that war, war, war is boring, but sitting within your own borders building things in cities for ages is also boring. The exploration stage of the game is best, but that can't go on for ever.

I agree about the exploration phase; I love it. As for the city states, the rewards for cultivating them is great. This is especially true of marine city states, who give you food so your cities can grow. In fact, there have been complaints that the city states are an exploit which should be nerfed.

Öjevind Lång;9941964 said:
I agree about the exploration phase; I love it. As for the city states, the rewards for cultivating them is great. This is especially true of marine city states, who give you food so your cities can grow. In fact, there have been complaints that the city states are an exploit which should be nerfed.

Heh, I guess that's why I always loved the "Terra" mapscript in 4... Just as soon as things were getting stale on the main continent you got a whole second exploration phase! Though even then you'd eventually reach the modern age. At least in 5 you'll usually have won by then, so less annoying lategame micromanagement. ;)

As far as unit upgrades go, I can see how overpowering stacked promotions being used to fully heal every turn for two or three turns can be. But I think the solution would be to only allow a full heal the turn that promotion threshold is crossed, while still allowing actual promotions to be chosen when the field of battle becomes clear.

Heh, I guess that's why I always loved the "Terra" mapscript in 4... Just as soon as things were getting stale on the main continent you got a whole second exploration phase! Though even then you'd eventually reach the modern age. At least in 5 you'll usually have won by then, so less annoying lategame micromanagement. ;)

There's a Terra map in Civ V too, of course. Unfortunately, it is not empty of civs, but one can always custom a game to make it so. I must try that.

They should include a "barbarous continent" option for games of the kind we are talking about.

Oops! There is such a map alternative. The Earth map is just a copy of our planet, but the Terra map has a second (huge) continent full of barbarians, city states and ancient ruins, but no major civ starts there. Unfortunately, the AI major civs seem to ignore that promising New World completely.

Anyone heard anything about animations being turned on for MP?

Keep hearing people gripe about this. Here is my opinion.

We're on a turn timer usually.

We're already fighting lag half the time.

How can we be watching 2 units fighting, when we need a 3rd unit to finish off the defender? Gives the other team more time to move his unit into retreat.

MP is generally about wiping out the other player(s). We dont need to watch the battle, just need to know the outcome.

I am curious too, everything is so secretive.

I'm getting pissed off waiting for this too. They could just at least say "we hope to have it before Xmas" or "sorry, its going to be 2011" or something.

Keep hearing people gripe about this. Here is my opinion.

We're on a turn timer usually.

We're already fighting lag half the time.

How can we be watching 2 units fighting, when we need a 3rd unit to finish off the defender? Gives the other team more time to move his unit into retreat.

MP is generally about wiping out the other player(s). We dont need to watch the battle, just need to know the outcome.

I like to watch the fights. Anyway, one can turn off the battle visuals.

I'm getting pissed off waiting for this too. They could just at least say "we hope to have it before Xmas" or "sorry, its going to be 2011" or something.

I know, I am very impatient when it comes to things like this.

Greg has now said he should have an ETA for us soon, which in one way, but bad because it means the patch isn't imminent.

Greg has now said he should have an ETA for us soon, which in one way, but bad because it means the patch isn't imminent.

I couldn't agree more. Oh, well. I'm currently having quite a bit of fun playing the unreconstructed Civ V. Elizabeth on a Terra map. Sounds like a cinch, but actually, the unwillingness of the AI to explore and settle outside the home continent makes the game harder, not easier. And less interesting. And I'm sure this is not due to a deliberate decision by the designers.

Just to honour you, I'll try to be nice to the city state of Dublin.

Top Bottom