1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V versus Civilization 4.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Teutorian, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Oh yea corps.

Well, vassals were the largest draw for me to buy the expansion and let's say that didn't tune out very well. The presence of the AP makes things really sour, because turning that off also turns off the UN. And modding the game makes it hard to play forum games. ;)

2. rah

rah Chieftain

Maybe not the largest draw for me but big enough. And yes, it only took a couple of games with the AP before figuring out that it hadn't really been thought out all the way.

3. Sojuz

Sojuz Chieftain

Well, i am displeased for you that you don't enjoy enough the game, no thing is perfect in this world, absolutely nothing, but you can near perfection. I do believe Civ4 BtS is one of nicest games ever and also by far the most complex strategy game i ever played. I believe you're pretending a lot from this game... Like how much i'd pretend from a new SimCity :lol:. However, opinions are opinions, but i really cannot get your point... I hope you'll find the game you're seeking for.

4. Archon_Wing

I hope so too. In the meantime let's play civ 4? :p

I did play a little Civ 5. It made me appreciate 4 a lot more, lol.

5. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

The additions in BTS aren't up to scratch compared to the quality of the base game, and not integrated too well with the rest of the game either. Gameplay really benefited from more big picture decisions, but I get a vibe of "let's bolt on cool stuff" rather than "let's refine and improve this".

6. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Chieftain

This thread should be moved of course. CiV is horrible.

7. Archon_Wing

Oh, you worded better than I did. Basically the base game was good, but the 2 expansions didn't feel worthy.

Better than the way Civ V handles content though...

8. Kaosprophet

Kaosprophet Chieftain

"Cool stuff" sells, even if it's implemented poorly. "Refine and improve" doesn't. It's something you offer for free after the fact, in hopes of repairing and/or maintaining the relationship with your customers that'll keep them from walking away from future titles.

But if they're going to buy those future titles regardless, 'refine and improve' is a waste of corporate resources.

9. JBryan314

JBryan314 Always Watching

When a knight beats my tank, I just imagine that he must have planted an IED in the road.

Leave it to someone in the Army to think of a rational way that a medieval knight could defeat modern armor...

However, the amount of times this happens to me in the game is negligible. Besides, I never have one tank out there by itself. Even if it isn't stacked, it still has several tanks adjacent to it, so I just decimate whatever killed it on the next turn with the adjacent tanks, then spend a little gold to immediately replace the IED'd tank and then airlift the new one out there to a close spot so it can get back to formation quickly. So no harm done.

10. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Chieftain

Personally I like the AP lots. Yeah sometimes it screws your plans, but that's real life. Things like that happen lots in politics.

11. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

How about when a knight beats an helicopter gunship?

Btw, it's not a tank, it's a tank division. Unless you have some ~10000 people and armor all dieing by IEDs, it's still not credible at all.

12. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

Yes "refine and improve" may not sell,but look at EU3.They not only added new stuff to their expansion packs,but they refine and improved alot of core things.Plus even if firaxis think its a waste of money EU3 is still being sold.

Civ BTS added alot of weird concepts,but Events was the best idea...even better then espionage because Events simulate changes in politics,great people and even warfare.The events tried to add life and unseen "curveballs" to the game.

Sure some of these things were broke,but if they weren't added we'd be stuck with Civ4 vinilla...

I don't own EU3,but I like the company the makes it...

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, it is a half year per turn atleast and one tile is 100x100 km ...

Anyway it is still beats the crap out in terms of reality the civ V system . Think about it: to avoid that the "tank" gets beat by a myriad of "spearmen" and because they needed that the "tank" would get always some damage to not get a runaway effect , they made the last HP special ... that is the typical Hollywood action movie script: hero gets beat to pulp until he is at the verge of death and then he proceeds to dispatch all the henchmen :p So much for realism ...

14. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

EU3 still has major flaws, even though the game has been out for ages and has had 4 DLCs. Mods play a major role in fixing it, and, truth be told, Paradox did more to fix it than Firaxis did for Civ. :)

As for refining and improving not selling, someone needs to take a good look at Valve before coming up with such statements.

When the ambition is high, mistakes are accepted; when the developers just don't care and try to sell DLC for an unfinished game, that's different. It's the difference between selling several good products for a continued period of time and selling one last product before closing shop. Marketing and advertisement only get you that far, afterwards people will stop buying your game on instinct and more on previous experiments. Unfortunately a considerable amount of devs are choosing the later rather than the former and killing off franchises what were milestones of the gaming industry.

Spoiler :
    btw, you should consider getting EU3, it can be great fun! ;)

At least check out the game's thread here on CFC. :D

15. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The last HP isn't special in that it has its own rule, as such. It's just that two units can't die in the same battle. AFAIK this is the same as in Civ4. It's the same as if one severely damaged tank attacks another very damaged tank. Normally the damage done would be enough to kill the very damaged tank, but the severely damaged tank dies first, so can't inflict the rest of the damage (which makes sense realistically; how can the severely damaged tank kill off the very damaged tank if it itself has been killed?). Likewise, if a spearman attacks a tank normally, the spearman will be destroyed and the tank will take some minimal damage. But the spearman can't kill off the tank if it is going to die in the process. :p

Now with units having 100HP (in the upcoming expansion), presumably it'll take 99 spearman to get the tank down to its last HP, anyway.

16. gps

gps Chieftain

True, but they added some game mechancs like Nomads and Hords or the Japanese domestic stuff which still seem to be rather broken. I am not quite sure whether EU3 really ist the better product in terms of quality and severity of bugs remaining. And have a look at Victoria 2. If reports are true then this game is still quite a mess. So I see some parallels between Civ IV / V and EU3 / Vicoria 2...