Civilization V

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
Hi. I usually play Civ 6, but I heard someone tell me that they used to play Civ 5. That sparked my interest in this game. Is Civ 5 a good game to play?

It's alright. To me, Civ6 is like a more optimized version of Civ5. It has some interesting civilizations and unique abilities. Give it a try if you get the chance, maybe if it's on sale or something.

It's a great game. I've returned to Civ 5 because I don't trust my laptop to run 6, and am enjoying every minute of it. Just lacking a few quality-of-life mechanics like linking civilian units to military, and being able to see which tiles you can settle, but other than that 5 is a great experience in of itself.

Now I play mostly CIV 6, but I used to play only part 5. The game is great, I advise you to play it.

I have returned to 5, as I just can't play 6 any more. Civ 6 has some strengths in it's early game, especially early district placement, but it becomes incredibly tedious mid to late game.

Civ V is much less micro heavy, its systems are much better integrated with each other (for example, other players actually care what you do in the World Congress), and there's more of a late game. You can also get the Vox Populi modpack, which will add a lot of new features, rebalance everything, and improve the AI a great deal.

I have returned to 5, as I just can't play 6 any more. Civ 6 has some strengths in it's early game, especially early district placement, but it becomes incredibly tedious mid to late game.
I strongly agree. Over the past few weeks, I have played two full games of Civ 5, and four half-games of Civ 6. I get around the industrial era and fizzle out.

To the OP: I have played a few hundred hours of Civ 6 over the past two years. I tried Civ 5 two weeks ago, and I don’t think I will be going back to 6. Civ 5 is more streamlined, the AI is much more interesting, and is more challenging overall.

Hi. I usually play Civ 6, but I heard someone tell me that they used to play Civ 5. That sparked my interest in this game. Is Civ 5 a good game to play?
I asked ChatGPT to compare the two games:

"Comparing Civilization VI to its predecessor, Civ V, reveals distinct differences in gameplay mechanics and features. Civilization VI introduced several new gameplay elements, which garnered both praise and critique among players. Some appreciated these additions for the depth and complexity they brought to the game, offering new strategic possibilities. However, others found these new mechanics overwhelming or unnecessary, particularly those who preferred a more streamlined gaming experience.

In contrast, Civ V is often lauded for its faster pace and reduced need for micromanagement in comparison to Civ 6. The gameplay in Civ V is known for its straightforward and easy-to-grasp mechanics, making it more accessible to both new players and those who prefer a less intricate strategy. The balanced gameplay in Civ V allows players to focus on broader strategic decisions rather than getting bogged down in minute details.

Ultimately, the choice between Civilization VI and Civ V boils down to personal preferences. While Civ VI offers added complexity and depth, Civ V provides a more streamlined and approachable experience, catering to players with different playstyles and tastes. Each game has its unique strengths, ensuring that fans of both titles can find a rewarding and enjoyable experience in the world of Civilization."

For me, I personally enjoy the faster pace, and the reduced need for micromanagement. I derive greater enjoyment from reacting to each unfolding moment, than I do meticulously planning everything in advance.

Last edited:
I asked ChatGPT to compare the two games:

"Comparing Civilization VI to its predecessor, Civ V, reveals distinct differences in gameplay mechanics and features. Civilization VI introduced several new gameplay elements, which garnered both praise and critique among players. Some appreciated these additions for the depth and complexity they brought to the game, offering new strategic possibilities. However, others found these new mechanics overwhelming or unnecessary, particularly those who preferred a more streamlined gaming experience.

In contrast, Civ V is often lauded for its faster pace and reduced need for micromanagement in comparison to Civ 6. The gameplay in Civ V is known for its straightforward and easy-to-grasp mechanics, making it more accessible to both new players and those who prefer a less intricate strategy. The balanced gameplay in Civ V allows players to focus on broader strategic decisions rather than getting bogged down in minute details.

Ultimately, the choice between Civilization VI and Civ V boils down to personal preferences. While Civ VI offers added complexity and depth, Civ V provides a more streamlined and approachable experience, catering to players with different playstyles and tastes. Each game has its unique strengths, ensuring that fans of both titles can find a rewarding and enjoyable experience in the world of Civilization."

For me, I personally enjoy the faster pace, and the reduced need for micromanagement. I derive greater enjoyment from reacting to each unfolding moment, than I do meticulously planning everything in advance.
ChatGPT tends to make up stuff on its own, but here it was spot-on

Top Bottom