1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization VI Coming to Nintendo Switch November 16

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Nintendo Switch' started by sadsquid, Sep 7, 2018.

1. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I think you can definitely argue that the iPad/Switch port decisions (which I assume were made before VI even came out) definitely caused the lame mobile-style graphics. But I don't think they held back anything else.

Edit: Looks like Sejong in the picture, too. Maybe him as an alt leader later? Or is that an old re-purposed picture?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I love the Switch and I'm excited for this, but also not sure about going back to vanilla after playing R&F. Hopefully they don't take too long to get the XPs for it. It might determine whether I get it or not.

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Spearmen could kill Tanks in Civ 2. :spear:

craney1987 and SammyKhalifa like this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

That is Hojo.
    This is interesting news but it still doesn't feel as developed as what we have, or missing things such as there doesn't seem to be any mention of a religious victory.

5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Oops, I forgot about Hojo. I've been playing 5 too much recently!

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe I'm confused. I assumed that it would be the same exact game just coming out of a different box.

Uberfrog likes this.
  7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think you're probably reading too much into that omission. The Religious Victory is present in the iOS version so I see no reason to assume it won't be in the Switch version too.

I believe this is pretty much what we will get: the same game minus Rise & Fall, the two most recent DLC packs, and a few graphical and performance downscalings.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  8. Haig

Haig Deity

Umm what? Civ 6 graphics are way more detailed and resoure-heavy than Civ 5.
    Consoles have top sellers with more murky graphics like Dark Souls, and everyone on PC is playing Fortnite, so you cant speak anymore of console graphics imho

DWilson likes this.
  9. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Been away from civ since civ IV. Now I heard about this. How is civ 6? Any good?

10. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

I get that this will make it portable... And I do love my switch.

But I'm not a massive fan of buying the same game twice

11. Xur

Xur Prince

Dunno. It's an ok game for sure, but I'm not getting the "one more turn" feel like previous civs. It's not what I'd expect of a civ game, but it seems people like the change. It's a weird game really... it changed everything I hated about civ5, but I'd still rather play civ5. It has everything, but nothing is really that great. If you try the demo, then you might buy it and find out that you hate the game after 100 hours... all the many flaws are not easy to spot after one playthrough.

If I had to boil the flaws down to a bouillon, then it would be that the game is a board game and I expected a PC game where automation wasn't banned.

I am wondering how their terrible UI will do on a switch though :)

12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It happened in real life when Italy invaded Ethiopia. :p Plus one reason we need Ethiopia.

Kjimmet and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  13. sadsquid

sadsquid Warlord

The link is now dead. Looks like they wanted it announced in the direct but didn't reschedule the announcement on the website? Oops.

Will be interesting to see it in action in the direct whenever they reschedule it

14. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I have mixed feeling about Civ 6 being released on a console. One one hand, I really enjoyed (for a brief time) Civilization Revolution on my PS3. It was cool to sit in my living room and play a 'relaxed' version of Civilization on a big screen. Playing Civ 6 on a big screen may be fun too; even if the games last 10-15 hours each.

OTOH, The cynic in me can't help but think this means the end of development for Civilization 6 (no second expansion). I have nothing to back up this fear other than the fact that in 2018 everyone has a much shorter attention span (especially with so many other games vying for attention); and most developers seem to move on to their next project rather than spending as much time on already released titles as they may have in the past. I would love to be proven wrong, however.

Duuk likes this.
  15. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Man it'd be weird seeing VI on a console. All the Civ games i've played (IV, V and VI) have never been released on console. I'm excited that more copies of VI will be sold.

However I don't want VI's second expansion to be dumbed down to be "playable" on a console.

16. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

My PC is hooked up to 75inches. Big screen or nothing haha

Sedwick, c4c6 and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  17. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

With 75inches I take it for given, but want nevertheless emphasize, that screen size is one thing and resolution the other.

civ4 on FullHD/48" was a charme - civ6 on ultraHD/55-65" is breathtaking ... you have just to see it once (from an armlength away).
    Big IS beautiful.

craney1987 likes this.
  18. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

I think this is a great step forward for the franchise. I got my start on civ 2 when I was younger than I am now ;) in those days though pc gaming at a younger age was far more common. Not sure how it is these days but I think phone and console gaming is probably a lot more common than it used to be. This is pushing me to consider going for a switch more seriously too :)

I don't think it has to take away from us hardcore fans that the franchise works to attract a more casual audience. Though as civ 6 goes on I tend to think for me it works better as a role-playing game than a strategic one.

I think based on the relatively quick humble bundle inclusion we should see a second expansion, to me it seems like that was designed to boost rise and fall sales, and maybe as a long term plan to get a larger base for a second expansion. I guess it all depends on how successful Rise and Fall was, but I guess they'd probably plan for at least 1 more expansion then maybe consolidating that into in-app purchases/expansions for iOS and now Nintendo.

I'm getting a little more concerned now due to the silence, so I understand where you're coming from. It's also interesting to me that there hasn't been a major competitor to the series in this area yet (at least that I know of). I think overall though this is a great thing, it should add more revenue to the series and allow for either the next expansion or civ 7, I hope 6 will be the base for future growth (would also really enjoy another expansion to tie in the mechanics more).

19. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I wouldn't worry about the silence, this has been the same for every Civ game. They tend to leave a year between expansion packs, so we can expect the second expansion (if it's coming) to arrive early next year. They generally announce the expansion three to four months before release, so that won't be until November. These forums get a bit stir-crazy in the intervening months, but there's really nothing to worry about unless we're still not hearing anything towards the end of the year.

In any case, the development of this Switch port has nothing to do with Firaxis, and is being handled by a third party (possibly Aspyr, who did the Mac and iPad ports, but maybe another company entirely). It doesn't indicate either way whether or not we will get another expansion.

acluewithout likes this.
  20. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

IS it just me, or have they taken down the announcement ??? the link in OP doesn't work and I see no mention of this on the site ???