Civilization VI Coming to Nintendo Switch November 16

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Nintendo Switch' started by sadsquid, Sep 7, 2018.

1. TheArchduke

TheArchduke Feeling at home..

Just logged in after quite some time for this.

:shake:

Boccages likes this.
  2. komodo

komodo Chieftain

I wouldn't expect the Rise and Fall expansion to come out for the Switch version anytime in the near future. The iPad version has been out for awhile and they still haven't released the expansion, nor will they even confirm it is coming out. It is hard to go back to the vanilla version after playing R&F.

3. torfish

torfish Chieftain

This is a big miss by not having all the current content, including R&F with the Switch release. It's a no buy for me because of it. Whoever made this decision has directly lost revenue for the company.

I hope the switch release is not impacting the schedule for bug fixes, AI improvements, and the next expansion for the PC version. That would be another miss and disappointment to the Civ PC owners.

4. doolar

doolar Chieftain

Because battery and heat. Show me a laptop that runs Civ6 for 4 hours on battery AND doesn’t turn into an oven. That’s why I enjoy playing on my iPad sometimes. It is nice not having a scorching hot laptop with fans going crazy in bed. It’s impossible playing on my 2017 Macbook Pro 15” with the laptop in my actual lap. The iPad’s lukewarm doing its thing. For four hours on a single charge.

The controls on the iPad are great tbh, they did a really good job there. That’s maybe my main concern with the Switch. Smaller screen, and controllers for Civ might be slow and awkward. But I’d love to be proven wrong!

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The Switch can be docked to the television set (and even the projector).

That's why the console is called the Switch.

6. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I agree. R&F really shakes things up, and for the better.

7. doolar

doolar Chieftain

I’m well aware. Hence the worry about the controller situation. Misquote?

8. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Definitely... to be honest, I'm not even going to buy the switch version until R&F is out. If that never happens, well, then I'll never buy it.

9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Despite owning a Switch, I will hold off on the purchase of Civ VI until R&F becomes available as well.

10. Boccages

Boccages Warlord

This is great. Day 1 purchase for me. I look forward to playing against my brother Switch vs Switch like in the good old days of Civ Rev.

11. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

This R&F aspect is a bit disturbing. Buy now to support a later release or refuse until they deliver?

12. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I have been holding off buying civ6 but with the release on Switch I am making the move. I haven't had a lot of time to devote to Civ in the last few years since I only have a Desktop and no Ipad. This will let me play on the move since I travel quite a bit and get a lot of downtime. Hopefully there are some more like me that can get started fresh on Vanilla and learn together.

Boccages and Haig like this.
  13. Haig

Haig Deity

People in Nintendo sites and reddit gave an ecstatic welcome to the news so there's plenty of new players who dont have Civ on pc but will play it on Switch.

Vanilla Civ 6 is great too, I think Rise and Fall expansion is a mixed bag, it has great stuff like loyalty and alliances, stupid stuff like governors and also mechanics with mixed results like Emergencies so it's not perfect at all.

14. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

I wont buy switch version unless it has all the same dlc as pc. Yes i own a switch so this is not purely hypothetical.

15. fantsu

fantsu Prince

So no R&F, but they confirmed touch screen controls.
    Now I have to get it. :)

16. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Will there be hot seat... there is multiplayer lan, but I need hotseat!

17. Boccages

Boccages Warlord

The Nintendo YouTube account just posted this video of Civilization VI on Nintendo Switch. It seems 2K Games and Nintendo are fully supporting this release.

But the question is : will Civfanatics have a subforum section for Nintendo Switch? After all, there are Mac and iPad/iPhone subforums.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  18. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Civ6 is quite frankly a graphical tour de force, not only in terms of readability, but also in terms of scalability. My laptop runs it like butter even in the late game and it's only a midrange. I scaled back the settings until it could do that. My much more powerful PC does the same thing, but it's got all the bells and whistles. It just looks fantastic.

I have the iPad version as well. The graphics are definitely scaled down significantly but it's still great-looking on the smaller screen, and the game plays essentially the same way.

Moreover, I can play it the way I want on any device. On the iPad, the vanilla game is just right. It's simpler, and I can simplify it further by playing on smaller maps On the PC, I have the UI and the horsepower to crank it up to the nines using Rise and Fall, and I have access to the mod scene. It's a great game on any platform except perhaps the phone. The phone feels a little too small.

Haig likes this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

As an aside, if they made physical versions of those clay leaders I would totally buy a few of them. :love:

20. Boccages

Boccages Warlord

Civilization amiibos