1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Civilization VI for free in Epic Games Store this week

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Backero, May 15, 2020.

1. Piranga

Piranga Chieftain

is it pc version only or can someone download it on a mac?

2. ChtiGariX

ChtiGariX Chieftain

Benefiting from the offer also awards a 10€ coupon (don't know about the price in $).
    The upgrade to platinum is priced at 39€99, down to 29€99 with the coupon.
    Not bad: 29€99 for civ 6 platinum version, cheaper than the offer for civ 5 owners.

3. Piranga

Piranga Chieftain

Still wondering if this deal is available for a Mac. Anyone with the launcher know?

4. Lugh

Lugh Prince

The deal page on Epic site says in 2 different places that it's Windows only.

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant The Voice in Your Head Moderator

Well, I picked it up and played a couple of games. All I can say is that I am certainly glad I didn't have to pay for it. Of course, that is only my opinion. YMMV.

yung.carl.jung and plasmacannon like this.
  6. flairin

flairin Prince

I downloaded it from this promotion and have found that it can be launched stand alone (without Steam or Epic Games). It downloaded over 9 gigs and it seems like other DLCs besides Aztec were part of the download (Even Gran Columbia and Maya). But the game will only launch with the Aztec DLC. So far I have tested France, Aztec and Rome with over 100 turns on each. France simply outpaced all other Civilization in my game with them. The Aztec was so strong militarily (I had a lot of luxury resources). And Rome was crazy at expanding. I also learned that this game allows players to capture settlers!! My graphic card doesn't support DX11 so I searched around to see how I could get it to launch on my laptop with DX10 = strategic mode, but so far game has never crashed.
    I am curious if it is possible for the game to load the other content that it downloaded?

7. darko82

darko82 Emperor

This is all so funny. I paid a lot of money for this game - even for the Collector's Editon, which turned out to be a total disaster not worth the money. I did not play it because I waited for the "better AI". I even bought the two expansions. Now it's free, even though they want to charge you another 40 Euros for some Frontier Pass? This is all crazy, I think. This marketing business. I am not buying anything from them. The business model has changed maybe, but I do not like it or accept it AT ALL. I am off!

Gaming companies are going down to the dogs - charging a lot of money for not finished, broken, or low quality products they will give away in order to make more profit on the expansions or the new content.

And if everyone is bowing down to the Epic policy, then I stop buying games :) I will wait untill it's free to get access to.

In other words, I will wait for the Epic. They know how to make business. I don't even have to.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Civrinn likes this.
  8. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

So we will probably see most games adopt another way of modding. Probably more basic with archives to xtract yourself. If mount and blade 2 is any indication, Vortex has beautiful days ahead...

9. gimley_gunner

gimley_gunner Chieftain

As a free unlimited demo it works very well. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it as I didn't like Civ 5 complete and Beyond Earth was hung out to dry. Very debatable whether i'll get any dlc for it on this platform and I don't have Civ 6 on Steam. Overall i'm pleasently finding Civ 6 is an improvement over CIv 5

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Some mods are also found on github and here, some of mine are not even on steam, you'll found them as archives that you can install in the mods folder in the my documents -> My Games -> Sid Meyers Civilization 6.

I've also asked if Firaxis plan to allows anonymous login on steamcmd to download mods from the workshop for the Epic version of the game.

Karmah likes this.
  11. darko82

darko82 Emperor

And really I have thousands of games on Steam or other accounts. I do not really need this. I am really disgusted that Firaxis Games takes part in it.

They only count to make more money on the expansions or the new content. That's the business model. But I am not going to buy Civ 7 at all. Sorry.

Yeah, I feel milked to the max. No more.

I will wait untill it's free on Epic. That's it.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  12. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

people are getting the BASE game free, FOUR years letter without/more difficult access to some features like the SDK tools/mods and you throw a beach fit because they do? It's your fault if you bought everything and didn't use it afterwards

13. darko82

darko82 Emperor

No, I did not use it becasue the game was broken! So it was not my fault that the game was broken. How could I play unfinished, buggy, low quality product? And they took my money for it. Sorry.

The second issue is that I stop buying games if I can get them free on Epic. I can't and don't have to play everything. I can wait untill it's totally free :) This is another issue. Yes, Firaxis Games is giving away their games for free. If you think about it, people value free games less, generally. Something like a free to play games = less value. But that's just a business model to catch more users, and earn income on the DLCs/expansion that you have to pay for.

And now, I just wonder where this business is going to? What is the future, you know? There are many opinions already :)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Civrinn likes this.
  14. Lugh

Lugh Prince

No wonder you're annoyed at yourself ;)
    Metacritic scores 85-88. PC Gamer 93%.
    Dan Stapleton IGN: "like a Civ game that’s already had two expansions"
    2016 Game Critics Awards—Best Strategy Game
    2016 Game Critics Awards—Best PC Game
    2016 The Game Awards—Best Strategy Game
    2020 darko82—"was broken"
    2020 All 75,000 Steam reviews—Very Positive
    Yes, the razor blade model, invented ~100 years ago so no wonder it's in widespread use today, eg inkjet printers, game consoles, 1st in book series, music downloads etc etc.
    Same here—eg I'm a big Civ fan, but I haven't bought any of Civ6 yet—waiting for the patches & DLCs to stop and the wonderful mods to catch up, probably late 2021. Then I'll buy 'Civ6 Complete' in a Steam sale, since most mods won't be accessible to the Epic version.
    I haven't bought a full-price game since the 00s, so like you I'm never short of many fine games to play.

15. Barbarian King

Barbarian King Prince

You can access it, if you pay for it, but otherwise no. It is standard practice on Steam for all of the basic data for all non-expansion DLC to be downloaded to all players regardless of purchases, but it only activates on purchase. I have not bought the frontier pass yet, but I already have the data for the Maya and Gran Columbia on my machine. I believe this practice exists to allow players to play multiplayer with people who have purchased DLC that they have not.

Infixo likes this.
  16. flairin

flairin Prince

Great! Thank you for that information. That makes plenty of sense. In the case of multiplayer, I guess that those who have not purchased the DLCs will not be able to choose civs included at game setup? Or would this allow these individuals to try out DLCs in multiplayer. That would be cool if so. Then people could do a test-drive :)

17. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Those are usually paid reviews. You forgot about (22,242) negative Steam reviews. Read them first. The thing is that the game has had many different issues that haven't been solved for 5 years. And the reviews simply ignore it for obvious reasons.

Look here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...l-is-still-broken.658373/page-9#post-15779315

18. Lugh

Lugh Prince

No, that's covered by the "all" in 'All 75,000 Steam reviews'.
    Let me mark it in my schedule…
    No doubt, that's always the case with any complex software like AAA games, Windows, graphics drivers etc.

Anyway, you'll be fine if you stick to free games—I hope you got GTA5 free from Epic 2-3 weeks ago. Enjoy your gaming :)

19. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Yes, but I bought these games. GTA V for full price, too.

20. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm another that installed Civ6 because Epic gate it away for free. Now to figure out what I need to (re)learn since I last played Civ5. And 4, 3, and original.