Civilization VI for Mac "Coming Soon" - Aspyr

Xyth

History Rewritten

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan)
CPU Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Hard Disk Space: 15 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 6790
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 650M
Video Card (Intel): Iris Pro
Video Memory (VRam): 1 GB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard, Steam Controller (optional)

http://www.aspyr.com/games/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi

For those wondering if their Mac meets these requirements, here's a rundown:
  • MacBook: No.
  • MacBook Air: No
  • 13" MacBook Pro: No
  • 15" MacBook Pro: 2012 or newer
  • iMac: a few 2011 - 2012 models, most 2013 - 2014 models, all since
  • Mac Mini: No

Last edited:
Hmm... why 6GB memory minimum for Mac compared to 4GB for Windows?

Hmm... why 6GB memory minimum for Mac compared to 4GB for Windows?
Because they're different operating systems with varying kernels that both handle memory differently and will have different OS requirements for base memory consumption. Additionally, porting the game code could cause inefficiencies that are easier to solve by upping RAM usage than affecting any other bottleneck.

As I recall, all the systems that met the other minimum requirements shipped with at least 6 GB of RAM.
Huh okay. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and it looks like this does not meet minimum specs (but maybe could still run it?)

bummer... Is their anyway a 2012 macbook air could run this?

If it runs, it would be painful. MacBook Airs are just not designed for 3D gaming. You really need an iMac or a MacBook Pro with a dedicated graphics card.

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan)
CPU Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Hard Disk Space: 15 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 6790
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 650M
Video Card (Intel): Iris Pro
Video Memory (VRam): 1 GB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard, Steam Controller (optional)

http://www.aspyr.com/games/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi

Woohoo!!! :D

Looks like I'll at least meet the mimimum nVidia GPU. I'm way above the minimum with the processor anyway, and also with RAM, especially if I can figure out how to get my 8 gig RAM cards in here in time.

YES!!! It's preorder time! :D:D:D

Just double-checking, Ryan, but there's no problem with preordering from the Steam page even though it still says it's just for Windows, right?

Just double-checking, Ryan, but there's no problem with preordering from the Steam page even though it still says it's just for Windows, right?

Correct. We are definitely launching on Steam, so a preorder is safe. If you preorder from a Mac, it'll count as a Mac sale for our purposes, too!

Huh okay. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and it looks like this does not meet minimum specs (but maybe could still run it?)

If you literally have a MacBook Pro, 99% sure you can upgrade from 4 to 8 GB of RAM. IMO, it's very worthwhile to do so generally, not just for games. I did with mine, and I'm pretty sure you could with the cheaper models, too.

Maybe, but wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. Graphics cards in those MBPs were underpowered even back then. I have a 2010 MBP so I'm in the same situation. Really hoping the new ones that are rumoured to be announced this month will not continue this trend.

Out of date support for OpenGL (even in Sierra) doesn't help either.

@AspyrRyan, can you tell us if the port uses OpenGL or Metal? And if the DLL will be hardcoded like it was in 4 and 5?

Maybe, but wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. Graphics cards in those MBPs were underpowered even back then. I have a 2010 MBP so I'm in the same situation. Really hoping the new ones that are rumoured to be announced this month will not continue this trend.

Out of date support for OpenGL (even in Sierra) doesn't help either.

Well, I've preordered. I'll let everyone know how it goes. (I've actually been surprised how much graphics performance has improved with the OS since I got it, especially with Sierra.)

I think my Mac has a bit more than the minimum.
I'm only concerned about the video card, it says in "about my Mac" that a have a: Intel Iris 1536 MB
I don't know if it an Iris pro.
Can someone say if it's ok?

I think my Mac has a bit more than the minimum.
I'm only concerned about the video card, it says in "about my Mac" that a have a: Intel Iris 1536 MB
I don't know if it an Iris pro.
Can someone say if it's ok?

It's not ok, sorry. The only Macs with Iris Pro are iMacs and 15" MacBook Pros released late 2013 or after.

Wait, my year old MacBook Pro doesn't meet the specs? They aren't kidding that apple has been skimping on graphics hardware.

I've also only got the Intel Iris 6100 (with 1536 MB). And only 2 cores and not 4 (but i7 instead of i5 so maybe that'll fly).

I'll get it anyways, and guess that it'll still run (just not ideally) on the slightly below par graphics card. I won't pre-order though, in case it doesn't run I want to be able to return it (and I dunno how returns work on preorders on steam).

Wait, my year old MacBook Pro doesn't meet the specs? They aren't kidding that apple has been skimping on graphics hardware.

I've also only got the Intel Iris 6100 (with 1536 MB). And only 2 cores and not 4 (but i7 instead of i5 so maybe that'll fly).

I'll get it anyways, and guess that it'll still run (just not ideally) on the slightly below par graphics card. I won't pre-order though, in case it doesn't run I want to be able to return it (and I dunno how returns work on preorders on steam).

Is that a 13"? In my opinion it's outright deceptive of Apple to label those 'Pro'. Never buy a Mac without discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics if you intend to play recent 3D games.

For those whose Macs have 4GB of RAM, you could still play the game, but you would have to enable strategic mode on startup and play exclusively on that mode.

By the way, I am curious to know when it would be out on the Mac App Store.

Top Bottom