[GS] Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Antarctic Late Summer Game Update (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what you mean by this. There are... I believe 4 times as many culture/gold improvements as there are culture/faith improvements. And far more food/production as well.

Especially given how many of the UI were, historically, religious.
Whoops. I meant culture and faith as two different things. I just meant that a lot of UIs seem like they default to giving culture and/or faith, (but maybe more heavily culture) and the problem with that is then people will compare them to each other and some of them will be deemed to be weak.
Given how many combinations there are between {food, prod, gold, science, culture, faith} I just find it too bad that so many seem to be trying to give you a bunch of culture. (And then so many UI have backdoor tourism as well.) There are only so many ways to make a culture UI interesting without making it a better or worse version of another one. I totally get how it happens- as you say, religious or cultural aspects- but there's still a bunch of ways to spice it up. Kind of how they could only add so many religion heavy civs to the game before some fizzle.

I'm a fan of more coastal tiles getting flooded, I felt like not enough were getting flooded even with coal plants on the map. It's cool that you get less Diplomatic Favour if you have lots of CO2 pollution and grievances, it really changes the Diplomatic Favour system.

I'm glad to see some UB's getting a buff, especially the Chateau.

Given how many combinations there are between {food, prod, gold, science, culture, faith} I just find it too bad that so many seem to be trying to give you a bunch of culture. (And then so many UI have backdoor tourism as well.) There are only so many ways to make a culture UI interesting without making it a better or worse version of another one. I totally get how it happens- as you say, religious or cultural aspects- but there's still a bunch of ways to spice it up. Kind of how they could only add so many religion heavy civs to the game before some fizzle.
I think culture is the natural default pick because, well, the UI sort of represents each civs unique culture.

But I think in general, they should think a bit more out of the box in terms of giving other effects than just a yield. For instance, the Toa is a good example of a UI that has a cool secondary effect besides just the yield.

And then again, adjacencies is a good way to tone different civs in different directions; by giving the UI adjacency bonuses to different districts will make these civs more inclined to build certain districts. On the other hand, this can be a double-edged sword, because it also limits your freedom when playing that civ.

I'm a fan of more coastal tiles getting flooded, I felt like not enough were getting flooded even with coal plants on the map. It's cool that you get less Diplomatic Favour if you have lots of CO2 pollution and grievances, it really changes the Diplomatic Favour system.

I'm glad to see some UB's getting a buff, especially the Chateau.

Chateau was NERFED.

Coastal flooding is great, but it needs to have a balanced counter, and equal suffering for inland cities.

Chateau was NERFED.
Well, I share your scepticism, but not quite accurate either. Chateau has now potential to be worse or better than it was before, depending on what you manage to pull off in terms of adjacency bonuses.

I'm kind of concerned about the changes to climate change. As it is, I can usually win a game before Phase I and the most climate change I've experienced is Phase II. This is on Marathon. I feel like I am missing out on a significant portion of the GS content. I will likely never see the new desertification effects.

As I understand it, they are making it so the climate change kicks in later but hits harder. But on Marathon, it may make it so you never see it at all.

I'm kind of concerned about the changes to climate change. As it is, I can usually win a game before Phase I and the most climate change I've experienced is Phase II. This is on Marathon. I feel like I am missing out on a significant portion of the GS content. I will likely never see the new desertification effects.

As I understand it, they are making it so the climate change kicks in later but hits harder. But on Marathon, it may make it so you never see it at all.
So DON'T win the game so early then, and enjoy the later game! Are you all counting coup for the 'stupidity' of how many games you can win, and how fast?? :crazyeye:

Sorry, I appreciate the elegance of the different views of different people; but as I have expressed before, I prefer to DELAY my victories and ENJOY my games.

Cheaper Naturalists is a nerf to Canada.

I mentioned in another topic, this isn't quite true. Naturalists are irrelevant except as a Eureka tool to most civs, and of very dubious utility to even the few who would otherwise want one. However, Canada actually has motivation to pick up the (expensive) investments into national park multipliers, making the value of an extra park (purchased with faith) actually significant.

Of course, as long as Rock Bands exist in their current state, all of this is sort of moot for all civs.

I mentioned in another topic, this isn't quite true. Naturalists are irrelevant except as a Eureka tool to most civs, and of very dubious utility to even the few who would otherwise want one. However, Canada actually has motivation to pick up the (expensive) investments into national park multipliers, making the value of an extra park (purchased with faith) actually significant.

Of course, as long as Rock Bands exist in their current state, all of this is sort of moot for all civs.

I use them for the amenities. They are great as the Maori.

Looking forward to the upcoming patch. The changes / add-on mentioned looks interesting and will definitely make the game a lot more interesting. Update to pin tack and rail-Road is fantastic. The current rail road looks too simple and at time not so noticeable compared to Civ 5. The upgrade to search function is another positive move by the developers. I had difficulties finding units/resources around the map and with the improvement in search function, this will definitely be helpful. The Worldbuilder is another important add-on patch. Was waiting for this since the beginning. Hope the Worldbuilder is advance which will enable all functions to create a very huge map to play all the civilisations in one game. Can’t wait for the release date.

And +1 to FXS for adding Map Tacks.

Amazing they didn't adopt this one earlier.

XP3! XP3!

Yeah, I liked that Ed said they were still supporting GS, rather than Civ 6, which seemed to hint that another XP may be in the works...

Also the "desertification" that is caused by climate change with reduces yields will actually make me want to stop climate change.

-Desertification mechanic added, which will eventually reduce yields on tiles as you progress on the climate changemeter.

I was really excited when i heard "desertification", but disappointed when I saw what they meant. I was hoping for tiles to become deserts (if plains or grasslands) if you chopped too many tiles around them, maybe with climate change having an impact. But no, we just get our bonuses reversed.

The love for "desertification" would make more sense if global COOLING was happening. Warming should bring more jungles and forests into play etc. Yes Civ 4 was worse as they out right did turn tiles into desert to reflect warming. Lol.

However, I am more interested if the Zulu can still create GDR corps or armies

I still think that was a hoax. I couldn't get it to work in my Zulu game.

Overall though warming reduces deserts, it doesn't increase them. In a game where climate change is only shown as an increase in temperature, desertification is inaccurate

Exactly. Deforestation can cause desertification, but not global warming by itself. After all, the last time we had high co2 levels, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and they had plenty to eat. The fear of course, is changing the temperature so rapidly compared to slow changes in the past could have unexpected results. Some deserts like where I live I believe will actually get larger (though we got a lot of rain this year), but other parts of the U.S. are actually getting more rainfall.

I do no such thing.

Good to see you have come around.

Food security is a major issue with climate change because of the loss of arable land. Deserts are also getting bigger (there is a difference between number and size), and rainfall more eratic. So inland cities SHOULD suffer food issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom