1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Antarctic Late Summer Game Update (April 2019)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ozymandias9891, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

Whoops. I meant culture and faith as two different things. I just meant that a lot of UIs seem like they default to giving culture and/or faith, (but maybe more heavily culture) and the problem with that is then people will compare them to each other and some of them will be deemed to be weak.
    Given how many combinations there are between {food, prod, gold, science, culture, faith} I just find it too bad that so many seem to be trying to give you a bunch of culture. (And then so many UI have backdoor tourism as well.) There are only so many ways to make a culture UI interesting without making it a better or worse version of another one. I totally get how it happens- as you say, religious or cultural aspects- but there's still a bunch of ways to spice it up. Kind of how they could only add so many religion heavy civs to the game before some fizzle.

Karmah and acluewithout like this.
  2. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I'm a fan of more coastal tiles getting flooded, I felt like not enough were getting flooded even with coal plants on the map. It's cool that you get less Diplomatic Favour if you have lots of CO2 pollution and grievances, it really changes the Diplomatic Favour system.

I'm glad to see some UB's getting a buff, especially the Chateau.

oSiyeza, mentos15, Vandlys and 2 others like this.
  3. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I think culture is the natural default pick because, well, the UI sort of represents each civs unique culture.

But I think in general, they should think a bit more out of the box in terms of giving other effects than just a yield. For instance, the Toa is a good example of a UI that has a cool secondary effect besides just the yield.

And then again, adjacencies is a good way to tone different civs in different directions; by giving the UI adjacency bonuses to different districts will make these civs more inclined to build certain districts. On the other hand, this can be a double-edged sword, because it also limits your freedom when playing that civ.

4. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Chateau was NERFED.

Coastal flooding is great, but it needs to have a balanced counter, and equal suffering for inland cities.

5. InDubioProReo

InDubioProReo Chieftain

Haha, glad to see a fellow prequelmemer here :)

6. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Well, I share your scepticism, but not quite accurate either. Chateau has now potential to be worse or better than it was before, depending on what you manage to pull off in terms of adjacency bonuses.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm kind of concerned about the changes to climate change. As it is, I can usually win a game before Phase I and the most climate change I've experienced is Phase II. This is on Marathon. I feel like I am missing out on a significant portion of the GS content. I will likely never see the new desertification effects.

As I understand it, they are making it so the climate change kicks in later but hits harder. But on Marathon, it may make it so you never see it at all.

Julia97 likes this.
  8. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

So DON'T win the game so early then, and enjoy the later game! Are you all counting coup for the 'stupidity' of how many games you can win, and how fast?? :crazyeye:

Sorry, I appreciate the elegance of the different views of different people; but as I have expressed before, I prefer to DELAY my victories and ENJOY my games.

Elhoim, Icicle, StamVI and 2 others like this.
  9. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Chieftain

I mentioned in another topic, this isn't quite true. Naturalists are irrelevant except as a Eureka tool to most civs, and of very dubious utility to even the few who would otherwise want one. However, Canada actually has motivation to pick up the (expensive) investments into national park multipliers, making the value of an extra park (purchased with faith) actually significant.

Of course, as long as Rock Bands exist in their current state, all of this is sort of moot for all civs.

10. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

I use them for the amenities. They are great as the Maori.

Stilgar08 and Chocolate Pi like this.
  11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

GDR corps and armies will no longer be formed using certain great generals.

However, I am more interested if the Zulu can still create GDR corps or armies.

12. Rajendran_P

Rajendran_P Chieftain

Looking forward to the upcoming patch. The changes / add-on mentioned looks interesting and will definitely make the game a lot more interesting. Update to pin tack and rail-Road is fantastic. The current rail road looks too simple and at time not so noticeable compared to Civ 5. The upgrade to search function is another positive move by the developers. I had difficulties finding units/resources around the map and with the improvement in search function, this will definitely be helpful. The Worldbuilder is another important add-on patch. Was waiting for this since the beginning. Hope the Worldbuilder is advance which will enable all functions to create a very huge map to play all the civilisations in one game. Can’t wait for the release date.

13. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Amazing they didn't adopt this one earlier.

Yeah, I liked that Ed said they were still supporting GS, rather than Civ 6, which seemed to hint that another XP may be in the works...

The love for "desertification" would make more sense if global COOLING was happening. Warming should bring more jungles and forests into play etc. Yes Civ 4 was worse as they out right did turn tiles into desert to reflect warming. Lol.

14. glider1

glider1 Chieftain

Not trying to argue with you but desertification does happens with warming. See this figure at your leisure:
    https://www.greenfacts.org/en/desertification/figtableboxes/figure-6-1.htm

Uberfrog and Icicle like this.
  15. nzcamel

Looks like shots fired to me ;)

Overall though warming reduces deserts, it doesn't increase them. In a game where climate change is only shown as an increase in temperature, desertification is inaccurate.

Troy Bruckner likes this.
  16. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I'm glad city states will get more defences, they can drop like flies at times on higher difficulties.

WillowBrook and nzcamel like this.
  17. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

18. nzcamel

I do no such thing.

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I still think that was a hoax. I couldn't get it to work in my Zulu game.

Exactly. Deforestation can cause desertification, but not global warming by itself. After all, the last time we had high co2 levels, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and they had plenty to eat. The fear of course, is changing the temperature so rapidly compared to slow changes in the past could have unexpected results. Some deserts like where I live I believe will actually get larger (though we got a lot of rain this year), but other parts of the U.S. are actually getting more rainfall.

oakdragon and nzcamel like this.
  20. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Good to see you have come around.

Food security is a major issue with climate change because of the loss of arable land. Deserts are also getting bigger (there is a difference between number and size), and rainfall more eratic. So inland cities SHOULD suffer food issues.

Jkchart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.