1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Antarctic Late Summer Game Update (April 2019)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ozymandias9891, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

This is a good change but doesn't have much of an effect on the victory since favors don't matter that much to win diplomatic. All you need to win early votes is to have more favors than the AI that have more favors, which isn't a lot and is pretty easy to achieve, then later it's easier to time your victory than try to beat the AI once they all go for your jugular, which is impossible to beat depending on how much players you have on your game.

There's probably a lot of players that play on standard size maps, in which case they wouldn't be as affect by the problems the diplo victory have as someone who play on a huge map. The main problem with the victory is that it scale poorly with the numbers of players, which can lead to widely different experiences, from having an easy time to drowning really slowly on a sea of frustration, all because of the AI pilling up to stop who is winning, so it's more about the map size than casual vs hardcore.

I hope the next patch will be focused on the congress, it does need a lot of overhauling.

2. Z6E1Z9O

Z6E1Z9O Chieftain

I really hope maori’s nerf isnt too much,i really loved playing as them..

3. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

If it is, it would be a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Krajzen likes this.
  4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

UU is down to 36 (or is it 37?) strength. The strength debuff doesn't stack with other Toas. And the Marae is down to 1 culture per tile from 2 culture per tile.

5. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

Their real power is the free food and production from a bunch of things they have under Mana.
    Consider that the Marae is still one of the best buildings in the game - +1 culture & faith on every forest, jungle, floodplains, marsh, reef- that's madness.
    For context, if they gave Egyptian monuments the ability to grant +4 gold to every floodplain, people would say that is crazy. Marae are even better than this.
    Toa, while it has been taken down a peg from its "Jade club terminator" status, is still the best sword UU in the game.
    -Effectively 41 strength with the aura
    -no upkeep no iron cost
    It's a resource-less legion with a debuff that also helps your other units. That's insane.
    IMO Maori will still be one of the best civs on the back of feature production bonuses and having Toa. They just have the right type of bonuses in the right places. This is similar to what happened when they nerfed Scythian heal on kill or when they reduced Australia's appeal district boost from +2/+4 down to "only" +1/+3. Those civs are still really really good.

Stilgar08 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The DVP on Mahabodhi Temple is actually pretty nice for Georgia. They are the only civ compelled to found a religion in order to pursue their most effective Diplomatic Victory strategy.

7. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

great video, great looking patch fireaxis !!!

No one seems to be mentionning it, but reducing by 50% the CO2 footprint of military units seems like a very interesting move... we've been saying that unit impact on CO2 emission is too large...

No offense @Victoria , but yes they DID listen and read the forums... just not for everything, I must agree with you... but I'm taking a wait and see approach to coastal impact... seems like the CO2 impacts will be much slower,
    so adding floodable coastal tiles might not be THAT bad in the end... and if it DOES take flod barriers to make it right, but those barrier ARE buildable earlier and in time, then I feel it's a good change

8. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I would say they largely met the general request for changes, even if they subsequently didn't satisfy some of the more vocal users.

acluewithout and WillowBrook like this.
  9. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Chieftain

Many good decisions and reassuring (if understandably vague) statements about future intents.

But to get the negativity out of my system, put me down as skeptical for Canada's updated viability.

On one hand, early production is exactly what the doctor ordered to fix their dismal start. After all, it works fine for Peter! (Free faith and production discount on his super Holy Site) When I first read it as +1 prod on all tiles, I thought "Perfect; now Canada can treat their starting location just like Plains, and be equal to the other civs who enjoy that (namely all of them)." It wouldn't make them overpowered; Canada's various other abilities are nice but still weaker than many of their ordinary Plains-inhabiting competitors. They would still miss out on many Plains perks like rainforests, floodplains, and more, but at least their signature Tundra farms would be equal to a generic Plains farm.

Now if it only worked on Tundra improvements (of any kind), Canada would still probably be the weakest Civ, but it'd be closer to the pack. Their special farms would still equal an ordinary farm, and they would track the progress of any generic Plains-inhabiting civ pretty closely. They would just be handicapped until they got a building, not enjoy the Plains-hill settle advantage, and miss out on a few production here and there. Again, probably the weakest Civ still, but no longer screwed.

But instead we get +1 prod on mines only--pretty lackluster. It puts them about halfway between their current tragedy and the +1-prod-to-all-improvements mentioned above. It's a sad state.

Bottom line: Give Canada +1 prod to all Tundra and Snow! This isn't overpowered at all; it's merely making their base tile yields what all other Civs enjoy on Plains by default!

10. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

Sometimes people complain about not being able to use a civ's special abilities to the fullest. Look at inca. Sometimes you aren't near any mountains.
    But you know what? Without mountains, inca can still play exactly like any other civ.

The problem is the tundra start bias is absolutely crippling. They gave Russia the bonus yields because they knew this. They gave Maori the most overloaded civ kit ever just to compensate for their sometimes bad ocean start. But Canada is guaranteed a crappy start and they get nothing. It's cool to have start bias flavor but we know (and at least carl knows) that start biases are not equal, and balance should incorporate that to an extent. Tundra is like having grassland under permanent drought.

They even said all tundra might be too much - but as you note they are implying a plains bias is too strong in this game :lol:

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You do not have to use caps, I am not stupid... did you not see the point about the extra lowland tiles making the initial cost higher?.. And I gave a screenshot here from a game tonight that seemed like it has the new lowland plan as there were 6 on a strentch of land one city could use. That city my dear friend would cost 600 production before sea rises began for sea barriers.
    I also just saw this, the game says these tornadoes just formed here... I know they can but iut just feels wrong. You cannot stop them and they just can mess you up. I have lost a valuable early builder to a tornado already and this is early game. Is anyone else playing tonight and finding more lowlands on coasts and more disasters?
    upload_2019-3-29_22-28-59.png

12. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Next time as in... next life?

Told 'ya: go listen to "Dreamer" by Supertramp.

13. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

As it should be, tundra is practically uninhabitable for homo sapiens and impossible to develop agriculture, cities and civilization. Actual tundra is uninhabited and useless also to real life Russia, Canada and their indigenous peoples. I have never understood the desire to make tundra civs. Other than realism, what exactly are you supposed to give them, raise yields of tiles - congrstulations you just made a civ "starts in garbage terrain and makes it normal terrain, so now you have featureless civ but in tundra/desert". Much simpler solution would be to either minimize tundra terrain from map gen, or make some late game tech "you can grab trash land very quickly and cheaply and only because of strategic resources".

Failure of Canada is weirdly satisfying to me.

nzcamel, oakdragon and bonafide11 like this.
  14. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Chieftain

They said they buffed the Chateau, but according to the given new tooltip, the Chateau looks like it was nerfed, not buffed. So freaking weird.

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

The Chateau was changed from a flat +2 culture from any adjacent wonders to +1 culture for each adjacent wonder. Which means that you'll have harder to get the old culture bonus, and even harder to surpass it.

On the other hand, it was changed from +1 gold if adjacent to a luxury to +1 for each adjacent luxury, which can be a buff.

nzcamel and Elhoim like this.
  16. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

No hope given their carefully chosen, repeated phrases about the World Builder: "It will bring out the inner cartographer in you!"
    IOW, I wouldn't expect anything to help modders get creative with the AI and other game systems.
    Sneaky, slippery back-pedalling and dissembling from 2K/Firaxis.

17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

Huh, I thought you were referencing "blody well right" >__>

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

All these little tweaks to old civs while civs like Romans, mongols, Nubians and others are just way stronger.
    The Toa’s were nerfed but the Incan slingers are just as strong.
    It’s not balance they are giving but their own personal choices.

Duuk likes this.
  19. schondette

schondette Chieftain

Every second of this video was absolutely sexy.

20. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Chieftain

My point was the main purpose of the Chateau was the Culture, and it's generally better to have 2 flat Culture and scaling Culture, especially you can only build these next to Rivers. I mean the scaling Gold is fine, since you can find a lot of luxuries, but definitely it feels like a nerf to the Chateau considering France is a Cultural civ.

Karmah and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.