1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Antarctic Late Summer Game Update (April 2019)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ozymandias9891, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alancsilver

alancsilver Chieftain

I honestly don't feel the need that Canada needs to be buffed. I think it is more exciting that every single civ (and there are a millions civs these days) be different and have their own weaknesses. So, if I want a challenge, I can choose Canada and work my ass off. That gives the game more flavor than buffing and buffing....

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I agree the Chateau change seems regressive, if it is what the video implies.

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I would have liked them to nerf the heck out of the toa to basically replacement level while leaving the cultural aspects intact, which seems to me to be the way they're "supposed" to be played.

4. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

I think there is a very sinister reason for this. Any in depth modding of the game would be a breach on the EULA, which is why it is never made available

5. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

Gotta retry Canada now on a cold earth map!

6. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

The maori reveal livestream, iirc, had the justification for the toa being stupidly busted that the maori might end up settling places where they are fragmented, and they need protection from the neighbors!!
    So to be clear with the maori Ocean Start:
    Downsides
    -start in ocean and might not get good starting location
    Benefits
    -science and culture while you find land, plus free pop + builder; oceangoing from t1 fast embarked movement.
    This, to me, is justification enough for the ocean start. They don't need more. But they got Toa and Pa on top of it just in case. I mean why not just give them a defensive bonus instead of the best classical unit in the game if you worry they'll get scraped off the shore? They already get a little boost to help their capital catch up and they can always sail settlers elsewhere.
    What if they land next to Aztec?!
    What the game places anyone next to Aztec? This is just an incumbent risk of having things that Monty does not.

I agree though, Sammy, it would be cool if Toa were just swords that could build Pa, no aura. They have resourcelessness, and they have a defensive boon. Fits the design need perfectly.

7. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Wonder if the Toa cost was decreased...

What they really should do for the Maori, is give their starting settler +1 sight. That is the largest issue with them.

8. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I'm just glad that even the worst VI civs are better than generic, unlikely V's Iroquois (who I loved anyway).

9. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Cheaper Naturalists is a nerf to Canada.

10. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

I'm sorry, you misunderstood the reason for the Caps... it was to emphasize that I'm not totally certain that they WILL make the right changes so that the flood barriers are available in time... not to signify anything about what YOU said...

sorry about the mixup...

nzcamel likes this.
  11. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I'm really impressed. Lots of good changes. But also FXS are being really transparent - explaining why this is this way and something else is another way. And willing to just get on a fox stuff or change it back.

There a handful of changes where I agree they may have it wrong. eg Cheteau. But happy to wait and see and if it's not right I think they'll be willing to look again.

Coastal Cities don't look like they're getting any tuning this patch, although it's still possible they've tweaked the cost of sea wall. Either way, I think that if there's a problem they could well pick that up in another patch. I'm not too worried.

Canada. I thought one hammer for all tundra and snow tiles was a good change. Bit sorry they didn't go that route. But I think the real problem is just they whole design of Canada - it just doesn't work. Canada just seem like a second rate Russia. I think they need a design more like Mali, where they don't really improve tundra but their city and trade routes benefit from having tundra tiles in the city.

Maori. I think the mistake with the Maori was thinking they needed to balance out the rough start, when actually the rough start is probably half the fun. FXS obviously wanted the UU to be fearsome - the Once Were Warriors idea of Maori warriors basically able to take out everything with giant clubs just by being just awesome. I can get that - Civ is a fantasy version of history - but it's hard to then balance. Maybe Maori needed a unit more like Warrior Monks with no upgrade and their own promotion tree.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Generally speaking this patch sounds amazing

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

You're very passionate about this. By the time my coastal cities get flooded, the game is usually over for me, so I guess I'm not as bothered. I think coastal cities probably will get flooded in the near future if we don't address global warming so it's not unrealistic. I like that they added global warming events to more land tiles too. I agree it would be nice if coastal cities were stronger before they got flooded, but I don't think it's that big of a deal personally.

WillowBrook and Stilgar08 like this.
  14. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Yes!!!! Especially regarding the CS buff on higher difficulty.

Pillage nerf long overdue as is Marae nerf.
    Buff to UI much welcome. Warmongering should be nerfed a bit more though.

Also happy for the Canada and India buffs!

England still no buff?.... Georgia?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  15. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Chieftain

If city states are more likely to survive, isn't that a slight buff to Georgia? If there are more city states on the map and every other civ has to spread their envoys around more, Georgia will benefit from having twice as many envoys to play with. She could probably have more suzerains than anyone else and work towards diplomatic victory if she doesn't want to go for an RV, and having a religion means she can benefit from the Mahabodhi Temple buff.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, Georgia really just needs something done with Tsikhes IMO.

Chocolate Pi likes this.
  16. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

As we all know, historically Europe's lowland and coastal areas were all mostly flooded and submerged following the Crimean War and the American Civil War with the advent of machine guns and American discoveries such as trench warfare and the machine gun.

Sorry Europe, we wish you had encased your cities in flood proof walls.

nzcamel and Pietato like this.
  17. kryat

kryat Chieftain

Can we get an amen to the Dutch finally integrating with the GS climate mechanics?

18. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

They needed to nerf Radio Oranje amirite?

Some comments on the balance changes:

Egypt still sucks
    - UU is still waaaaay too expensive; building bonus is weak; Cleo's leader ability is average at best. Not sure how a minor Sphinx buff is supposed to suddenly make them good.

France still sucks - UU is conflicted; Wonder bonus is average; the Chateau was NERFED, even though it sucked. France relies entirely on the leader's ability.

England still sucks - No changes to the new Georgia.

Canada still sucks - Tundra is still rubbish, and Naturalists just got cheaper.

Normark was actually buffed (!!!!) - It is a Christmas miracle!

Hungary buffed and nerfed - City States will survive now, though they will be more expensive to roll everyone with. Definitely a buff for higher difficulty pangea and continents.

Maori nerfed substantially - Needed a nerf, but also something to make it easier to find land at the start.

I have to wonder why they did not go over every civ and tweak things. It is not very difficult to just tweak numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  19. rlw33

rlw33 Chieftain

To be honest, I would have happily paid for the world builder as a downloadable DLC. Thrilled that it is back.

Julia97 likes this.
  20. Jarms48

Jarms48 Chieftain

This. They’ve made chateau yields in general more reliable, but they’ve nerfed chateau’s that we’re able to have 2 or more wonder adjacencies.

I was honestly just hoping to see the chateau provide some housing.

Trav'ling Canuck and Sostratus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.