[GS] Civilization VI is boring me lately.

Although I agree that there are samey mechanics which at times can get boring, most of my games are rather different from one another.

I always play Deity / Huge maps but I play a different leader in each of my games and I turn on or off some of the NFP modes differently in each , so none of those have been alike, lately. Snowballed like hell to a SV with Dido and settling everywhere on the coast, grinded poorly with Pachacuti and Dramatic Ages to a DiploV after aiming too late for a RV, and succeeded at a pre-Renaissance era RV with Kupe and just 4 cities with the very first GProphet and by sniping every other religious civ as they created their own religion... So very different games and outcomes, none of which felt boring.

But I might feel differently when I reach 3,000 hours of gameplay, I'm just above 1,200 right now...

When I used to get bored of civ, I would stop playing it, play something else, while participating in this forum and then when its tempting enough to play again-play again. This way I would still continue to play civ.

My experience with Civ VI has mostly been the AI out-pacing me for a good half of the game or so, then I do something bold like conquering 1-2 neighbors or settle an empty continent all for myself. Then the AI just doesn't know what to do about me, so it's smooth sailing to the end of the game.
I would not say that I'm "bored", I would say that once I reach that "tipping point" there is little reason for me to continue.

Not sure how to address this. I'm used to playing games where levels get progressively harder towards the end, but not many 4X games really do that for me.

Not sure how to address this. I'm used to playing games where levels get progressively harder towards the end, but not many 4X games really do that for me.
Do you even want to address it? I'd say it's fine to play as long as you have fun and start a new game whenever you want.

Do you even want to address it? I'd say it's fine to play as long as you have fun and start a new game whenever you want.
Yes, because I don't want to play a fraction of the game. The AI is dead at around t50. Certainly no later than t100. That's less than halfway to a Victory or even progression through the game.

A good 10 or so turns at the beginning are also pointless because you spend them waiting for things to build and while the decisions are the most important of the game, they're spaced out by these non-turns.

So, what you're really saying is, spend all that time setting up, then only plaub50 turns, 20% of which aren't even really playing.

Yeah, I'd much rather they made the AI, and therefore the game, fun throughput. Can't do much about those initial turns, but they can do something about the AI.

@Linklite
I think settling like rabbits late game ignoring both water and resource access is what truly kills the AI. Sure the AI civs might still win if I ignore them, but they loose focus really easy. AI behave likes a kid full of cash on a candy store with those higher difficulty bonus they get, they go for evey kind of candy never focusing...sure I only, might, start focusing on one type of victory late game, but I don't go nuts in the meantime.
The session i am playing now I got religion and I am playing defensively. I only keep 2 apostles around this late in the game to pick on wandering enemy apostles from my neighbour Egypt, but they lost so much of their focus on religion that it got to the point when I am about to convert them because of all the apostles I hunted. And I never really wanted to hard convert them, but Egypt just stopped trying. They have plenty of spaceports but I am ahead of them with already a moon landing completed. And I am playing immortal standard speed.

So, what you're really saying is, spend all that time setting up, then only plaub50 turns, 20% of which aren't even really playing.
No, what I'm really saying is to play as long as you have fun and don't force yourself to finish games if it's too boring, because what's the point? So, if I understood correctly, you only have fun between t10 and t50?

No, what I'm really saying is to play as long as you have fun and don't force yourself to finish games if it's too boring, because what's the point? So, if I understood correctly, you only have fun between t10 and t50?
No, between t50 and t100 is when it stops being about exploring the world with a number of rival civilizations and starts being a sandbox with no opposition.

I'm not sure of your point. It should never be a chore to finish a game (outside of niche cases), and if it is regularly a chore or even just not as fun, something is substantially wrong with the game.

Well, yeah, that's true and my point is to not play if it feels like a chore.

Or you could do some challenges for yourself to spice it up. Like win as soon as possible or trigger as many eurekas and inspirations as possible. Or try mods that improves the AI.

Top Bottom