[LP] Civilization VI: Leader Pass - Discussion Thread

I'm guessing you haven't played as Byzantines yet. They get a similar bonus but with the Entertainment Complex (which is half production cost), and it's heavy cavalry. It also ties into their ability where they do full damage walls if the city follows the same religion as them, and they get bonuses to getting their religion as well. Their UU is also a heavy cavalry so you get those for free, which does extra damage based on how many Holy Cities you've conquered.

Lincoln is pretty good, but Byzantines are crazy good, you just need to get Crusade and you're golden.
You get the UU for free as long as it's Basil. It will be interesting to see what Theodora brings because she won't come with the Tagma.

Four turns into the war:

1669331697804.png

He really did not see that coming <3 Of the units in the screenshot all the melee units were freebies given to me by IZs :lol: AND i managed to snag Terracotta as well, so those +5 melee units all have a free promotion on top of that.

Fair And Balanced.

It'll be interesting if they don't give her a cavalry, whether they'll give her other bonuses more power to compensate...or just leave it.
If the leaked info about the next leader pack is correct, the Barbary Corsair is still the Ottoman UU instead of the Janissary so I wouldn't expect much.

So I played around some with Sultan Saladin, and a full 5 unit flank gives 20 cs instead of 10. My hope was 2x flanking promotion would give +8 per flanking, but it only gives +6 per flank. Next I will try Zhukov great general, but assume he still only adds 1 instead of 2 cs per flank.. if so, a perfect flanking would provide +35cs instead of +25.

Any1 tried zhukov/Nelson yet? I will report my findings later.

Did a game with the new Kongo sister. Very nice, especially with voidsingers. Mmmm...yields.....

If the leaked info about the next leader pack is correct, the Barbary Corsair is still the Ottoman UU instead of the Janissary so I wouldn't expect much.

Didn’t the developer interview basically confirm no new builds? I know Beach specifically said no wonders “or anything like that.” And this was in response to a broader question about UU’s, buildings, etc.

I mean to be fair the Barbary Corsair doesn't synergize as well with current Suleiman, so it makes sense that the Janissary is at least for the more militaristic persona of him. If his governor was Hayreddin Barbarossa that would be a different story.

Hopping in to give my very long two cents, per usual:

Now as someone with an interest in game design, I can really appreciate concise, functional abilities like Sultan Saladin's. I won't use it (I have been avoiding getting a religious victory since I got the game and I'm not interested by Arabia's domination potential), but I appreciate it. Saladin finally plays like how he should have from the start :crazyeye:

Though, I feel like those kind of abilities are really the opposite of what we need right now. These are hardly challenging abilities by any means, much less coming off the heels of NFP. From how Lincoln, Nzinga Mbande, and Saladin's new persona were designed, it seems like we weren't the only ones who had been reverted to 2016 :p.

If Firaxis is really thinking "more is more" and wants this cherry on top of the Civ VI cake to be worth it, then give us some cool abilities! I doubt they intend the majority of pass owners to purchase it, but this first pack doesn't give them much of a reason to. The "Negotiators" (I use quotation marks because the pack names seem to just be dressing) have some pleasant abilities, but only pleasant. Not interesting, not "I didn't know a Civ could do that," not Babylon-levels of bonkers crazy absurd flipping the game on its head. NFP was daring and pretty out there, to the point of fault, but that was part of what made it enjoyable and so exciting, right?

I do enjoy the Negotiators, though. Like I said, they're pleasant. I wish Lincoln weren't designed as a conqueror and portrayed as liberty in a top hat, but oh well :rolleyes:

Trying Nzinga on Emperor.

This game is going insanely well considering its T179 and i didn't build a single campus until T150 :lol:. The leader bonus is mostly pointless - it negates the -10% from low amenities and that's it. But the possibility to build Holy Sites AND abuse Work Ethic as Kongo is very potent. Getting Com Hubs and Theatre Squares is a lot easier with Work Ethic. Knowing that I'm going to win and don't need science/amenities is very refreshing <3

I didn't even bother with reliquaries either, who cares about some extra faith when you're swimming in it anyway? (and besides, i missed out on Mont St Michel anyway)

Attachments

• nzinga.png
    nzinga.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
I tried a game with Lincoln, Nzinga and Sultan Saladin in the AI mix. Lincoln took an early bath. I never met him, but eventually found Washington, New York and New Orleans as free cities. Not enough data to be significant, but it may well be the case that the AI can't run Lincoln effectively.

I tried a game with Lincoln, Nzinga and Sultan Saladin in the AI mix. Lincoln took an early bath. I never met him, but eventually found Washington, New York and New Orleans as free cities. Not enough data to be significant, but it may well be the case that the AI can't run Lincoln effectively.
Built a swath of plantations, maybe? I can see the AI not knowing about the negative loyalty. Otherwise, it's probably just normal AI behaviour - on TSL, I often find America loses cities to loyalty for some reason.

Top Bottom