[LP] Civilization VI: Leader Pass - Discussion Thread

I tried a game with Lincoln, Nzinga and Sultan Saladin in the AI mix. Lincoln took an early bath. I never met him, but eventually found Washington, New York and New Orleans as free cities. Not enough data to be significant, but it may well be the case that the AI can't run Lincoln effectively.

I can't imagine there being enough plantations to flip your capital... maybe another AI took them over but couldn't handle the rebellions?

I finally answered the burning question everyone has been dying to know - does Saladin get any special benefits from patronizing Great General Zhukov? The answer below:

sultan flank1.jpg

(The answer is no, he does not get any extra benefit from Zhukov or the flanking promotions available to certain unit classes. What an utter disappointment. If his ability had been written as: Receive +2 extra combat strength from flanking instead of +100%, we may presume I would be gaining an extra 50 combat strength instead of a measly 35...)

Leader with no flanking abilities doing the above (5 unit flank, flanking promotion, Zhukov) would receive 5 x (2+2+1) = +25 CS
Sultan Saladin as is gets 5 x [2(2) + 2 + 1] = 35
Sultan Saladin if he received +2 per flank instead of +100% would get 5 x (4 + 4 + 2) = 50

Too bad. I'd have enjoyed 50 extra combat strength a lot more personally. Then my warrior monk would show that AT army who's boss for sure.

I finished a game with diplomatic victory for honest Abe and definitely had fun with it. I poured into industry and commerce pretty heavily. I don’t warmonger in nearly any game, so at first the free armies seemed kinda useless, until a city state emergency popped up. Then I realized I could leverage the military industrial complex into becoming a global policeman. Very American. Otherwise, the focus on IZs helped fuel some clutch wonders, like finishing the game with a Statue of Liberty build, because ‘murica. I really liked my Bull Moose Teddy, but something felt very on point playing America with Lincoln.

Really liking Abe Lincoln, my army today captured a city from Georgia, but it had three cocoa plantations so there was loyalty issues but I removed the plantations with builders.

You also need to prepare your economy for those industriaö zone troops, even though there is no resource upkeep, they still have gold upkeep.

My next game will be Julius Caesar.

My first game was with Abe. Finally made my mind up and went military victory. Started a second game with Kongo. I was going to try peace, but a bunch of barbs surrounded Buda, and since it was at 0 health, it was too tempting for my scout. I bought an archer and cleared the barbs away. Captured his last 2 cities. Found the Inca between my original cities and my new cities. He was at war with a city-state, they had captured 2 Settlers. Inca only had 1 city, now mine. From a military emergency, Kublai China declared on me, so I converted all his cities to my religion. (So nice to have a Kongo Religion). Now finishing him off. Still have Phoenicia on the continent. 3 more AIs out there somewhere.
With Abe, it can be too easy to build way more troops then you need. The bonus +5 combat strength, especially early, can be very overpowered.
With Kongo, I barely noticed any difference on a different continent, it seems the penalties are not too severe.

So do we know anything about when the next part, Great Commanders, might come out?

I can see the LP is not doing well in Steam Reviews - I don't know how that might affect things.

Last edited:
So do we know anything about when the next part, Great Commanders, might come out?
Nope, all we can do is speculate based on the limited release timeline information.
I can see the LP is not doing well in Steam Reviews - I don't know how that might affect things.
I think that's more a function of the "rocky" roll-out of the first pack and not really indicative of displeasure with the LP as a whole.

Nope, all we can do is speculate based on the limited release timeline information.

I think that's more a function of the "rocky" roll-out of the first pack and not really indicative of displeasure with the LP as a whole.

Thanks. I meant that maybe that rocky start might slow them down or something. More time for QA, marketing etc.

Or just letting the commotion die down a little.

Anybody play Saladin Sultan yet? How powerful is that 100% bonus?

I'm in a weird situation where I'm considering abandoning the game. My neighbor is Chandragupta and his city strengths are already over 50. I don't think I can get his walls down with trebuchets. He had the whole continent to expand and I only had a small corner. I may be too far behind. Doesn't help his UU's are at the same time as mine. He has multiple uu's as well since I'm playing with the mods that add more units to the game, including uu's. Of course I have 3 uu's as well.

Just my luck to have Chandragupta as a neighbor. I will probably restart. I probably should have taken him out in the ancient era.

Anybody play Saladin Sultan yet? How powerful is that 100% bonus?

It's a nice bonus. Not OP or exploitable.
And IMO Sultan Saladin is the best of the new leaders, both in terms of art (Saladin is styled as he is in popular historical culture) and in terms of playstyle.

This is clearly something that can't be said of Abe or Mbande.

Although there's been lots of fanfare over Abe's unit printing exploit, not much has been said of Mbande's situational exploit.
Play her with Kandy CS and you can win culture victory in 100 turns Classical start! Maybe less?! Here on TSL Huge Earth:

I started a game with Abe and had the most peculiar start - I should have taken a screenshot. Starting on an east coast, I had four other civs starting around me, all the minimum possible distance apart, and all with immediate loyalty problems (including me). I didn't stay to see what would happen.

I would say play it and see if they'd all rebel to you. On the other hand, you'd then be surrounded by a mob of rebels...

Although there's been lots of fanfare over Abe's unit printing exploit, not much has been said of Mbande's situational exploit.
Play her with Kandy CS and you can win culture victory in 100 turns Classical start! Maybe less?! Here on TSL Huge Earth:

That seems very situational. Kongo doesn't actually give any additional bonuses to the tourism/culture from relics, so I assume the main advantage of they have is the palace slot being able to hold 5 relics? Iirc pre-revamp Khmer was also able to get early reliquaries victories on occasion as well.

There's a 1.5 GB update to Civ 6 today on Linux, Firaxis must have remembered that it exists. I played for a few hours yesterday on the first NFP patch that they put out by accident, and it was one of the most stable games I had played in a while. There was a highly aggressive Nubia that had taken out two civilizations by the Classical Era, which was refreshing (and a bit scary) to see, although of course I was able to take their technologically superior army out on my own because they didn't defend any of their cities. I won't be able to play that save again...

Edit: I still don't have the Leader Pass or Julius Caesar downloaded, even though ages ago I've connected to 2k and the leader pass was added to my steam account. Firaxis must still be working on it for another update.
In addition, the file that prevents Civ 6 from launching has still not been removed. I had to delete it again after verifying files.

The one improvement, which is very welcomed, is that it's no longer random chance for the Aspyr Launcher to load Civ 6 (without that gamebreaking file). It's much quicker now.

Last edited:
That seems very situational. Kongo doesn't actually give any additional bonuses to the tourism/culture from relics, so I assume the main advantage of they have is the palace slot being able to hold 5 relics? Iirc pre-revamp Khmer was also able to get early reliquaries victories on occasion as well.
Mbande on Marathon wins before Theology (i.e. before Khmer can build its Temple).
See earlier screen grab.
Classical start. So this is in just over 100 turns. Not optimised.

Mbande on Marathon wins before Theology (i.e. before Khmer can build its Temple).
See earlier screen grab.
Classical start. So this is in just over 100 turns. Not optimised.

If they move the bonus palace slots out of the CUA into Mvemba's LUA that would solve the issue.

I started a game with Abe and had the most peculiar start - I should have taken a screenshot. Starting on an east coast, I had four other civs starting around me, all the minimum possible distance apart, and all with immediate loyalty problems (including me). I didn't stay to see what would happen.
I think what must have happened is that the map generator somehow came up with a map where only one island had any viable start locations, so everyone was bunched together. Which brings me to another point - I used to imagine that a restart put you in a different place on the same geography, which I'm sure is not the case - the geography will be regenerated. This is important with the Got Lakes? mod, where many settings can be random. For instance, in the standard game, you specify if you want a lot of desert or very little - with Got Lakes? you can leave this to the gods. Which means if you restart, what was a desert-heavy map may be desert-light after restart.

This is a bit off-topic, for which apologies.

Top Bottom